Well, this made me think!

This is a discussion on Well, this made me think! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of my numerous phone calls this time of year, included a guy out East with whom I have shot a time or two. He ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, this made me think!

Assistant Administrator

Well, this made me think!

One of my numerous phone calls this time of year, included a guy out East with whom I have shot a time or two. He has a problem I had not even given thought to much.

He was in an auto wreck but came out OK fortunately except - the ''usual'' neck trouble after - this happened approx a week ago I think.

But also and here's the kicker - he has pain and severe limitation of mobility in both arms - he cannot raise either to even 70 (actually from what he said, more like 50 ) in front of him (or to side)! In fact thinking about it I suspect his spinal trauma has affected him around the lower cervical/upper dorsals and (I hope temporarily) screwed his nerve supply to relevant muscles. That plus, maybe adhesive capsulitis - and that takes ages to get right if it is the case.

Well a bit over a year ago I had this sort of problem with my left shoulder - to hold gun weak handed, had to use strong hand to support it - tho it would elevate high enough with the help so not as bad as his.

Thinking on his situation tho - heck - he can't get a gun up into a sighting position! Yikes! He has tried but falls short by a lot. He has tried leaning back to artificially raise his hands but even that is hardly workable. He is freaked out by it!

Well so would I be. Discussing it all, it seemed his only choice for right now was practice plus using retention hold and point shooting, which in fact he is quite good at but - can't say we expect to lose the ability to raise a gun properly.

This opened quite a can of worms for me as to how I'd cope - and I guess we could extend this also to an injury sustained in a confrontation, where also we could not raise a gun high enough. We would have to have some alternative method to use.

Only thing that came to mind was - using strong hand - lean to weak side a lot, with arm only slightly away from side and squint down sights, firing a bit ''gangsta'' style. This really got me thinking!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

i dont know how you would solve this problem ..

i know becuse of previous Surgery i only have 70% range of motionin my right arm but it doesnt effect my shooting helps a lot im left handed of course ..

i guess if i turn up in some mel gibson flick where im rolling on the ground shooting Gun above my head im screwed but other wise i should be ok

Lead Moderator
    The only thing that comes to mind is practice. Do the best you can and practice at that. Ypu might not return to previous standards, but it would be something.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I remember 2 yrs ago, when I was out on a Workers' Comp case. I was clearing my windshield off, while chasing a guy around my local town, and slipped and fell on my right shoulder, tearing the rotator cuff. I had a TERRIBLE time of carrying my weapon. PT and a good amount of time helped to solve the trouble. I was in the mode fo the cross-draw of my weapon for the longest time. I never had surgery but stil feel the effect of the injury, yet I am carrying my weapons in my normal right handed carry mode. NOTE that I am left handed but shoot and carry right handed..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Lead Moderator
    learn to shoot weak handed. Also low retention and a laser would help. Hate to rely on it, but might be a good training aid.

This year I was in an accident with an 18 wheeler fully loaded doing 55 mile an hour was broad sided on the right side .My neck and upper back sustain most of the injuries . And I still made it to the competition the next day. The accident happened in Texas and I'm from Minnesota I did not realize how bad I was hurt till after I got back home 3 days later . It takes alot of time for injuries to heal and I am preparing for 06 comp in march . Takes time ,motivation and dedication to get back to it .I hope your friend gets well soon and gets back to the same thing I love and thats shooting.merlin45kout

Assistant Administrator
    Thing is Rocky - this was BOTH shoulders so - strong or weak - he cannot raise either! Real bummer. +1 tho re laser - I mentioned that to him - he has never used them - yet! I think he well might.

Bob - I really wish I could do the reverse of you - and manage if so wished to carry and shoot left - but it ain't gonna happen! That left shoulder of mine is certainly better than was and I practice a lot with it but - right is 500% better!
    Chris - P95

This is a tough situation.

I have seen the retrofitted Glock with "Gangsta" sights mounted on the side (we're still trying to figure out where this one fits in the IDPA rule book).

Seems like laser sights are the way to go.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

I have a bulging disc at C-5 causing pain and numbness through my right shoulder, arm and hand. I couldn't raise the right arm. I practiced shooting with the left hand only. Did better than I expected, all COM at 10m. Lost a few outside at 15m, farther out was a crap shoot (literally). It's better now after treatment but still use the LH practice everytime I shoot now, just in case.
    Pershing SIR!!

P95,

The man is in a tough situation...the laser sight idea might work well for him. It does bring to mind to practice weak hand shooting and reloading. My brother and I discussed that very thing this past week and we both have included that in our practice sessions regularly. It takes a little "getting used to", but I improve every time I go out to the range.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Assistant Administrator
    K9 - well I am most definitely cranking up my practice re weak hand skills that's for sure.

Makes me glad also I have CT's - tho I still try to avoid excessive dependence on them. Last night was watching a tape done thru the CT Corporation, all about the uses of lasers and there are many, even beyond the obvious.

So - this coming year's schedule for practice will be not only very movement oriented but - plenty of weak hand.
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

sounds like it is time...

for a chiropractor.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

learn to use a shotgun, shoot from the hip.

Assistant Administrator
    Shotgun is a good solution - but only really an HD thing.

Out and about with just carry handgun - that's when this could be awkward. From my POV if suffering the same thing, the CT's certainly add some level of comfort.
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links