Defensive Carry banner

Paranoid

6K views 62 replies 58 participants last post by  PM 
#1 ·
What do you say to a person that says you are paranoid when you carry a gun everyday?
I have had people say that I need help at a clinic because I carry a gun.
I think these people don't realize that there are bad people out there.
What do you think?

#2 ·
What do you say to a person that says you are paranoid when you carry a gun everyday. I have had people say that I need help at a clinic because I carry a gun. I think these people don,t realize that there are bad people out there. What do you think?
1) I don't tell them.

2) If one must, generaly, people only understand examples. One can talk 2A rights all day...but most can neither relate nor even care. So, examples such as the resent CSprings church shooting, or the number of home invasions or car jackings.

3) Bottomline...I don't care what other people think. I only care for the safety of my family and myself.

Rick

#3 ·
I would ask them do they wear a seatbelt everytime they drive, or wash their hands after going to the toilet, or cook chicken before they eat it, or wear a life jacket when boating.

Its the same thing

We arent gauranteed to be in a car accident everyday or get sick everytime we eat or drown when out fishing, but there are precautions we can take "just in case"

I would carrying a gun everyday is just another precautionary manner like everything else people do to be safe.

#7 ·
They are sheep and you cannot make a logical argument with them.

It is none of their business. They have no reason to know you carry.

Their opinion carries no weight. Ignore them.

You can't fix stupid.

If it is out of ignorance, wait for the right opportunity and discuss with them. You can fix ignorance.

#8 ·
If anyone is going to be needing help in a clinic, it's those who choose not to arm themselves.

I would let it go...you don't want to argue about it!
Just keep pointing out the crime in the local news.

Stay armed...stay safe!

#9 ·
What do you say to a person that says you are paranoid when you carry a gun everyday. I have had people say that I need help at a clinic because I carry a gun. I think these people don,t realize that there are bad people out there. What do you think?
The fewer people who know you're carrying, the better. Don't advertise the fact that you carry.

#15 ·
Carrying is your decision. You don't have to build a consensus; if you want to carry, carry. And don't tell anyone about it. It's none of their business.

Even if you avoid all bad places and bad situations (and you should), some nut job could appear i.e. The New Life Church in Colo Spgs.

You carry b/c today could be the day.

#16 ·
Sheepl.....Ask them if they think having a smoke alarm or fire extingusher is paranoid too. Do they have car insurnace, life insurance??

Maybe they need counseling since they are in denial about the dangers of the world. I just don't tell people. It's none of their business what I do.

#34 ·
Exactly!!

That was the point I thought of when I first read the post. There's a difference between being prepared and being paranoid! Good answer Marine!

#18 ·
Who's telling you this?

If they are good friends then you should have explained your position and that should be it. If they are not good friends, then you tell too many people your personal business!

I can count on one hand how many people(besides on this forum) that know I carry a firearm. I go out quite often, my friends just don't need to know. I don't need their opinions one way or the other. I don't carry to boost my ego, so only my girlfriend and my very closest friends know. I never tell anyone I work with this secret. I believe it would be safe to tell half my fellow employees. I do not because no one needs to know such a personal thing. No good can come because you tell someone you carry a gun, as you have found out.

My own mother does not know I conceal a firearm every day.

I had a friend who used to enjoy getting me riled up about CCW and 2nd Amendment rights. He knows all the right buttons to push (psychiatrist). He enjoyed watching me try to defend the gun culture. I learned to just accept that he would not budge. When he says stuff like, "Isn't a loaded gun dangerous?" I just say, "You bet it is!"

#23 ·
What do you say to a person that says you are paranoid when you carry a gun everyday.
Tell them to get real.

#24 ·
That's what I do more or less.

Usually it's not about why I myself am carrying because they don't know, rather it's just a pro-CC vs anti-CC/gun argument.

I don't like the "rap" music very much, but one time, while briefly scanning a 50Cent song, I heard a line that I repeat ALL the time in these arguments, regarding guns. "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it" :wave:

#25 ·
A friend's uncle once said after watching a Judo practice in the living room floor, "Remember, boys, never carry Kung-Fu to a gun fight." As I put all the stuff back in my pockets and on my belt, he noticed the 1911 and asked me why I had that gun. I answered, "so I don't have to carry my Kung-Fu to a gun fight." That's become my standard answer.

#26 ·
All of the above arguments are valid. The amount of effort needed in a discussion like that really depends upon the person and their relationship to you. The off-hand remarks are funny, but the alienation they generate is probably bad form. The safety gear comments are pretty good, because that is all it is, a piece of safety gear. I put on my seat belt, lock my doors, keep my smoke detectores operating and carry the means to keep myself and those around me safe from violent harm. Preparedness and paronoia are different. I was taught to be prepared.

#27 ·
Two questions:

1) Who knows you carry?
2) Why?

Concealed carry is exactly that, IMNSHO.

I'll use myself as an example. Some of my friends know I have a CCL; some don't. I don't advertise it. That's it. Those who know I have a CCL don't know if, when, or where I carry. What they do know is that I teach pistol and rifle in the 4-h Shooting Sports program. But the rest, they can speculate. Even my wife doesn't know when I'm carrying unless she sees me arm myself or hugs me and notices my weapon.

Again, IMNSHO, one of the responsibilities of concealed carry is not to advertise the fact that I am or am not carrying. It ain't about the ego or for bragging rights, or for discussion starters, ice breakers or anything other than to protect you, your family and loved ones.

My suggestion is to keep it quiet and smile a lot. If you smile a lot, people wonder what you're up to. :image035:

You aren't going to impress the folks who already carry, and you sure as heck have little chance of changing the minds of those who are anti-carry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.