One in the chamber with pocket carry

This is a discussion on One in the chamber with pocket carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying everyday for over a month now. My EDC is a Ruger LCP in a front pocket holster. Here is my dilemma: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have been carrying everyday for over a month now. My EDC is a Ruger LCP in a front pocket holster. Here is my dilemma: We all know safety rule #1- Don’t point loaded gun anywhere unsafe. I noticed (especially around my kids) that it is unavoidable to do this when sitting on the sofa, across from someone at dinner, back seat of car, etc.

I know the trigger is guarded but yet there is a live round pointed at something I don’t want to destroy. So around the house I have been carrying with empty chamber.

Am I over thinking this?

YES

Most definitely

steve

but its the same with any holster. Not just a pocket holster. Right now, sitting in a chair, my 2:30 IWB is kind of pointing at my leg and a lose round would probably sever a major artery. The point of a good holster is to cover the trigger. You could consider not carrying at home, but having the gun away from you may be even more dangerous with kids around.

All depends on what you consider your threat. Ask yourself why you carry. How would you react in various situations. Stranger at the door? Home invaders kicking in the door? Drug deal outside going bad? It all depends on your own risk assessment.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

IMO there is no reason not to carry at home. You don't have the gun in hand, and it is not in a position where it will go off -- it isn't being dropped, etc, and guns don't fire of their own free will -- so it isn't violating the golden rule of gun safety. I guess i believe in this case it's acting like an unloaded gun, nothing short of an act of God is going to cause that gun properly stored in your holster to kill someone.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    but its the same with any holster. Not just a pocket holster. Right now, sitting in a chair, my 2:30 IWB is kind of pointing at my leg and a lose round would probably sever a major artery.
    I wouldn't say it happens with *any* holster. Aside from the discomfort factor, this is another major reason why I can't tolerate appendix carry (or cross-draw carry without a major cant). A strong-side holster at 3:00-5:00 doesn't point towards anyone else -- unless you're sitting on them, or are otherwise above them, or prone. It also doesn't point to your own body, unless you're on your knees then it might point at your lower legs/feet. But for the vast majority of of us going about our daily routine, this position won't point at anything precious.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ncccw01 View Post

Am I over thinking this?
    Yes. If this is what you're thinking about, go get some quality training and then overthink equipment, mindset, tactics and awareness. It's time much better spent.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

empty chamber

an empty chamber makes your gun just another impact weapon, like a flashlight or ...........a rock.

One in the chamber cannot fire without your finger on the trigger. If you gun is in a holster, it is safe.
    Get used to it, or perhaps start to carry a hammer...it's what your sidearm is without one in the chamber.

Of course, OMO.

Stay armed...one in the chamber...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Guns want go boom without your finger on the trigger. If its in your pocket in a holster and your hands are not in your pocket it want go boom.

1 in the pipe 24/7
    <><><><><>
    Grass Roots North Carolina
    <><><><><>
    NRA Life Member

The question about the firearm is valid. I agree with the previous posters that the empty chamber option is a poor one. With my pockets if I were carrying something like that I would be able to give it a little twist or push and the item inside would be pointed differently without having to change the orientation when I am standing. Is that an option for you? A push at the back opening of the pocket and it slides or cants toward the ground instead of straight down my leg. If you need to get it out you just take pressure off the fabric by raising your let a little and push, and the pocket goes back to the original orientation.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

I have been carrying pocket pistols for years and understand your concern. When I first started, I was keenly aware of the problem you mention. I just did not feel comfortable with my loaded and (sometimes) unchambered gun pointing at someone. To me that just did not seem right. But as bigiceman points out, you can just twist or cant your gun when you get into positions where it is pointing at someone and have it pointing down to the floor or a safer position. This is what I do all the time. After a while you get used to doing this almost involuntarily and it is done practically without even thinking.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

Don't forget that with the LCP the hammer is always in a "down" position, and not a "cocked" position. You would need to pull that trigger back in order to cock and release the hammer and fire the cartridge. Without that action, there's (realistically) no way one in the pipe is going to fire.

I carry my LCP always 6+1, ready to go.

Stay safe!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

my gun is always with one in the pipe.

as others have mentioned, it is just a poor impact weapon without a loaded chamber.

If it is in a proper holster -- one that completely guards the trigger and keeps the gun from rotating, it should be pointed down at all times and completely unable to fire.

Put your hand in your pocket, shuck the holster, draw the weapon THEN insert finger into trigger area as you acquire the target (goblin), then and only then does your gun become likely to discharge.

So, yes you are over thinking it. IMO

EdC
    I have had the same thoughts, and it's a mindset thing and takes some getting used to.

(The rule that the muzzle never covers something you're not willing to destroy applies when a gun is in someone's hand, not necessarily when the gun is properly holstered.)

My usual carry is a Walther PPS, similar action to Glock, with one in the chamber, always. When I'm sitting or driving, I know that the muzzle is pointing to my hip or leg, but no problem. (I'd never draw from that position, however ). I've been carrying less than one month; you'll get used to it before you know it.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Yes. If this is what you're thinking about, go get some quality training and then overthink equipment, mindset, tactics and awareness. It's time much better spent.
    semperfi is absolutely right.
    You'll get used to it after a while.
    BTW you are not pointing the gun.
    Just like when my gun is on the kitchen counter, if somebody walks in front of it, I don't consider that I am pointing it.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links