Defensive Carry banner

One in the chamber with pocket carry

8K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  HKtexas 
#1 ·
I have been carrying everyday for over a month now. My EDC is a Ruger LCP in a front pocket holster. Here is my dilemma: We all know safety rule #1- Don’t point loaded gun anywhere unsafe. I noticed (especially around my kids) that it is unavoidable to do this when sitting on the sofa, across from someone at dinner, back seat of car, etc.

I know the trigger is guarded but yet there is a live round pointed at something I don’t want to destroy. So around the house I have been carrying with empty chamber.

Am I over thinking this?

#3 ·
but its the same with any holster. Not just a pocket holster. Right now, sitting in a chair, my 2:30 IWB is kind of pointing at my leg and a lose round would probably sever a major artery. The point of a good holster is to cover the trigger. You could consider not carrying at home, but having the gun away from you may be even more dangerous with kids around.

All depends on what you consider your threat. Ask yourself why you carry. How would you react in various situations. Stranger at the door? Home invaders kicking in the door? Drug deal outside going bad? It all depends on your own risk assessment.

#5 ·
but its the same with any holster. Not just a pocket holster. Right now, sitting in a chair, my 2:30 IWB is kind of pointing at my leg and a lose round would probably sever a major artery.
I wouldn't say it happens with *any* holster. Aside from the discomfort factor, this is another major reason why I can't tolerate appendix carry (or cross-draw carry without a major cant). A strong-side holster at 3:00-5:00 doesn't point towards anyone else -- unless you're sitting on them, or are otherwise above them, or prone. It also doesn't point to your own body, unless you're on your knees then it might point at your lower legs/feet. But for the vast majority of of us going about our daily routine, this position won't point at anything precious.

#4 ·
IMO there is no reason not to carry at home. You don't have the gun in hand, and it is not in a position where it will go off -- it isn't being dropped, etc, and guns don't fire of their own free will -- so it isn't violating the golden rule of gun safety. I guess i believe in this case it's acting like an unloaded gun, nothing short of an act of God is going to cause that gun properly stored in your holster to kill someone.

#15 ·
semperfi is absolutely right. :hand10:
You'll get used to it after a while.
BTW you are not pointing the gun.
Just like when my gun is on the kitchen counter, if somebody walks in front of it, I don't consider that I am pointing it.

#8 ·
One in the chamber cannot fire without your finger on the trigger. If you gun is in a holster, it is safe.
Get used to it, or perhaps start to carry a hammer...it's what your sidearm is without one in the chamber.

Of course, OMO.

Stay armed...one in the chamber...stay safe!

#10 ·
The question about the firearm is valid. I agree with the previous posters that the empty chamber option is a poor one. With my pockets if I were carrying something like that I would be able to give it a little twist or push and the item inside would be pointed differently without having to change the orientation when I am standing. Is that an option for you? A push at the back opening of the pocket and it slides or cants toward the ground instead of straight down my leg. If you need to get it out you just take pressure off the fabric by raising your let a little and push, and the pocket goes back to the original orientation.

#11 ·
I have been carrying pocket pistols for years and understand your concern. When I first started, I was keenly aware of the problem you mention. I just did not feel comfortable with my loaded and (sometimes) unchambered gun pointing at someone. To me that just did not seem right. But as bigiceman points out, you can just twist or cant your gun when you get into positions where it is pointing at someone and have it pointing down to the floor or a safer position. This is what I do all the time. After a while you get used to doing this almost involuntarily and it is done practically without even thinking.

#12 ·
Don't forget that with the LCP the hammer is always in a "down" position, and not a "cocked" position. You would need to pull that trigger back in order to cock and release the hammer and fire the cartridge. Without that action, there's (realistically) no way one in the pipe is going to fire.

I carry my LCP always 6+1, ready to go.

Stay safe!

#13 ·
my gun is always with one in the pipe.

as others have mentioned, it is just a poor impact weapon without a loaded chamber.

If it is in a proper holster -- one that completely guards the trigger and keeps the gun from rotating, it should be pointed down at all times and completely unable to fire.

Put your hand in your pocket, shuck the holster, draw the weapon THEN insert finger into trigger area as you acquire the target (goblin), then and only then does your gun become likely to discharge.

So, yes you are over thinking it. IMO

#14 ·
I have had the same thoughts, and it's a mindset thing and takes some getting used to.

(The rule that the muzzle never covers something you're not willing to destroy applies when a gun is in someone's hand, not necessarily when the gun is properly holstered.)

My usual carry is a Walther PPS, similar action to Glock, with one in the chamber, always. When I'm sitting or driving, I know that the muzzle is pointing to my hip or leg, but no problem. (I'd never draw from that position, however ). I've been carrying less than one month; you'll get used to it before you know it.

#21 ·
Yes! You need to be realistic about this. If your finger is not on the trigger the gun won’t fire. Sometimes I carry in a horizontal shoulder holster. Yes the gun is sometimes pointing at people but if my finger is not on the trigger it won’t go off.

#23 ·
Heres where I have a problem, even if your gun is in a holster it should never be pointing at me, I don't like that at all, I don't like it when a person sweeps me in the gun store with an "unloaded gun". I especially don't want a loaded weapon pointing at me even if in your opinion it is safe, Im the one thats going to find out the hard way if its safe or not. Your right the odds are astronomical against anything happening but there are certain areas that I don't like leaving to chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.