Witnessed a beating...

Witnessed a beating...

This is a discussion on Witnessed a beating... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My neighbor has been having his roof replaced for the past few days. Around 6:00 PM I was at my kitchen sink getting a drink ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Witnessed a beating...

My neighbor has been having his roof replaced for the past few days. Around 6:00 PM I was at my kitchen sink getting a drink and looked out the window. The boss or crew leader was standing in the neighbor's driveway near a woman that had been helping. The boss raised his hand and struck the woman open handed on the side of her head then grabbed her hair and kicked at her.

I yelled for my wife to call the sheriff (we're rural- 15 miles from city) and I ran outside. I heard the man shouting at the woman, but he had released her and she wasn't trying to escape so I stopped near a tree to observe. I heard something to the effect of "she could just take her [Edited] and leave". It seemed to de-escalate to an argument, so I went back in to retrieve a video camera and called the sheriff once again to clarify information and confirm my location and most importantly, for the sheriff's deputy to NOT pull into my drive when they arrive because the last thing I want is for this hot head to stalk me and mine for calling the law. After that, I went back out and sat in my truck with the video camera in plain sight of the neighbors place. My windows are tinted so they didn’t seem to notice me.

1st sheriff deputy arrived about 15 minutes after the first call. He drove up the road slowly with lights flashing. By this time the boss was starting to load up tools. The boss stopped and watched the deputy drive by, turn around, and drive past again.

At this point I called the SO to let them know the deputy had just driven by and had not stopped at the right place. They said that was S.O.P. and that they would try to park out of sight. About a minute later a 2nd deputy arrived on scene and they both approached the perp and victim.

During a few minutes of questioning, the boss was very animated in his denial and apparently the woman went along with the boss' story. The deputies walked back to their vehicles and were preparing to leave.

I recognized one of the deputies so I called the SO and requested the deputy call me on my cell phone. He did and explained what I had witnessed. The deputy told me that the couple had implicated someone else who had left the scene (liar, liar...). I again told the deputy what actually happened. He said he would talk with the perp some more.

The deputy did go back and talk more. Then the perp started pointing up toward my place and again being very animated. It was pretty obvious he had figured out who called the law. Whether or not that info was actually disclosed to him I do not know, but now we are sitting here a bit paranoid waiting for this nut job to show up unannounced and probably quite belligerent.

Of course, our family is protected, and we have run over various scenarios. Our biggest concern is something like a drive-by perpetrated by one of his crew or family members, or maybe even him. I don't expect him to be directly confrontational, but you never know.

If something does happen, the paper trail has been established. Do you think I need to contact the sheriff again or were my repeated calls from today adequate?

Other things I've done this evening- I researched security monitors, but did not find anything I could afford locally. This item will have to be ordered and shipped (read: time). I did install a driveway alarm tonight, but I need to add more sensors to get better coverage of different approaches (radio shack opens in the morning).

Probably won't sleep much tonight.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 21st, 2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    You did the right thing. Just stay alert, and make sure that your family takes the appropriate precautions. It's not uncommon for stories to change like that in domestics. Officers restraining a husband who had been beating his wife have been attacked by the wife that they were trying to protect. I think that it it better to do as you did than let it go unchallenged, and having her end up dead because he killed her. Good job.

For the life of me I can't figure out why those women take up for their boyfriend/husbands that are abusive.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Looks like you did well. The world needs more neighbors like you. Keep your situational awareness up and you should be fine.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

You did all that you could possibly do. This 'tough guy' will continue smacking around his mate, and she will continue receiving the abuse...they usually do.
    If this guy is still working in your neighborhood, I would be very careful, but I don't think he will confront you directly...he only beats on women...if they're 'unarmed'.
    If this guy moves on to another job site, he'll just abuse his friend in another part of town and forget about you. I'm sure that it wasn't his first visit by the law.
    If this guy does anything, I'm willing to bet it will be something 'cheap', like nails in the driveway, something thrown thrown through the window if he knows you're not home...etc.
    OMO.

Stay armed...watch your back...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How long does it take to replace a roof? The roofers did mine in one day.

Can you take a day off from work and hang out at your house all day?

Looks like an episode of "Snapped" in the making.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by takurpic View Post

If something does happen, the paper trail has been established. Do you think I need to contact the sheriff again or were my repeated calls from today adequate?
    Why would you call them again?

I cant tell you how many calls I've been on like this, I know full well what took place but the victim refuses to cooperate. There isn't much anybody can do when the victim doesn't want help.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    What you did, calling the Sheriff, was the right thing to do. Like retsupt99 said, these guys that beat up on their wives do it to show dominance and usually when confronted by the law, or another man, they whimper into a corner and claim ignorance. It's pretty chicken (fill in the blank).

Keep your eyes peeled and having a game plan with your family is a good thing. Even though the guy may think you called LE, I dont think he will have the guts to retaliate against you, he just likes to beat up women 'cuz he can. His wife or GF needs to file a complaint, spend a night in jail and meet "Bubba". Be safe.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

You did all that you should.As you can see, even the cops don't like trying to sort out domestic incidents. I try to never get involved in one.Acting to stop a serious assault is one thing, but it seems like the woman rarely follows up or tries to get out of the relationship, so tread lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by grady
    How long does it take to replace a roof? The roofers did mine in one day.

Can you take a day off from work and hang out at your house all day?

Yeah, they weren't the speediest operation. I later found out from neighbor that the perp is the landowner's grandson (the landowner rents it to my neighbor). The neighbor said he's been wanting to run the roofers off since they started- odd hours and stretching a day job into three or more.

I work from home most of the time, so I'm usually here. It's the overnight-weekends that I have to travel out of town that have my wife worried. She can hold her own, but with the kids to watch for too, it's a bit much. Our oldest boy is 16 and actually quite good as a fill-in when I'm gone, so I think she'll be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000
    You did all that you should.As you can see, even the cops don't like trying to sort out domestic incidents. I try to never get involved in one. Acting to stop a serious assault is one thing, but it seems like the woman rarely follows up or tries to get out of the relationship, so tread lightly.
    I figured it would go down this way. That's why I stopped by the tree after my mad dash out the door. I've read enough posts and scenarios here that I decided to be a good witness (video camera) and only intervene if it looked like he was going to kill her.

i wouldn't be surprised if as you went out to your truck one day, he shouted a few words at you. but i highly doubt it would go past that. just watch closely till they finish the job.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    if you saw him hit her they should have arrested him.no matter what either one of them say
    to bad it doesn't really work that way.
    "Just blame Sixto"

if you saw him hit her they should have arrested him.no matter what either one of them say.did anyone else witness the assault? also you say you are rural are there any other houses near by to make this guy think it was anyone but you that called in on him.you did the right thing calling in on him. make sure your neighbors know about what happened and to be on the look out for any suspicious activity
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    to bad it doesn't really work that way.
    Why not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links