CCW Permit Holder Pulls Gun At Soccer Game (Merged)

This is a discussion on CCW Permit Holder Pulls Gun At Soccer Game (Merged) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is one reason I don't carry when I coach my 5 yr olds games. Of course I am on pretty decent terms with all ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CCW Permit Holder Pulls Gun At Soccer Game (Merged)

This is one reason I don't carry when I coach my 5 yr olds games. Of course I am on pretty decent terms with all of the parents, and two of the other dads help me coach, but there is always the chance that someone will get stupid.

Is it within the new rules to agree that the guy is a turd. If so I agree, if not, you guys need to watch the name calling.

Regardless of what went on in the stands, maybe he called the coach some name and her husband got pissed. Maybe the husband got pissed and said something to the turd. Doesn't really matter.

Had Mr. Moron stopped after being pushed, he could have filed charges on the coaches husband and he would still have his permit. Now he will be loosing the permit, paying fines and be considered a turd on at least one internet forum.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    As more and more citizens get there CCL, we are going to have more unwarranted use and branching of firearms.

And my biggest fear is one day some political authority is going to use a case like this to ban citizens from getting CCL's.
    My thoughts exactly.

And my own additional 2 cents is, it's a result of too little training. And here's the rub as I see it..

No one wants aditional REQUIRED TRAINING, but 90% of the people who get a CCW will not seek out additional education on their own. The end result will be more CCW holders acting stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    I bet he is kicking himself in the you know what right now.
    Isn't this a felony? He should be doing more than just kicking himself!

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    ...And my biggest fear is one day some political authority is going to use a case like this to ban citizens from getting CCL's.
    "I am not in favor of concealed weapons," Obama said. "I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during) altercations." - Sen. Barack Obama, April 2, 2008
    Source - Sportsmen for Obama? - Gun Control Quotes
    Your fear is not unfounded and that is why it's incumbent upon us all, regardless of who might be in office where, when, or to what degree, that we reach out to each of 'us' as fellow firearm owners to discuss and encourage _sane_, lawful, and proper means of storage, deployment (this case), and usage overall be it for sporting/competition, hunting, or toward home and personal on body carry defense.

Ignorance hurts and even kills not just human beings but our rights too.
    We have a responsibility to be responsible as we are judged not just by our own actions but of those aligned with and like us too.

Somebody somewhere should have directed this fool to DC.com for an education in what _not_ to do.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It's definitely a felony to point a gun at someone's head. No doubt.

Parents get crazy over these stupid kid sports. I've seen some funny videos online of parents fighting at these things.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geo2020 View Post
    And my own additional 2 cents is, it's a result of too little training. And here's the rub as I see it..

No one wants aditional REQUIRED TRAINING, but 90% of the people who get a CCW will not seek out additional education on their own. The end result will be more CCW holders acting stupid.
    Agreed 100%

It's like how folks everywhere in America comment that it's super easy to get a motor vehicle operators license. But increase the limits and degree of difficulty in testing toward securing such a license and people will and do march int he streets with outrage.
    Yet at the same time they will not think or state they have no time/coin for attending on their own a drivers instruction/defensive driving course to sharpen their otherwise generally very basic functional skills and knowledge of law (traffic). Which of course results in very many easily avoidable traffic altercations and citations to which insurance companies charge stiff fees to cover and again folks complain about.
    People want to have it both ways for free and to have to do nothing while having little or even no legal responsibility too. Thing is life rarely works that way regardless of the subject matter.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    People thinking that because they are in TX they have justification, and will be protected by TX law, to escalate simply because they have a firearm at hand.

This shows a reflection of poor if any training of the individual, zero awareness of the law and lawfullness, and little if any self control. Oh, and the guy is a moron too. Yelling and picking a fight with the coach of a childrens sport team. Act your age and be an adult.

- Janq
    That's not true Jang,what we have here is one individual that has a anger management problem and then with bad judgement threatened a guy with a gun there are people just like him everywhere,He won't be carrying or owning any firearms after he gets convicted if what the story depicts is true.I haven't seen anything that would allow him to draw a weapon not to mention he escalated the confrontation.This is one guy that had his rights removed and IMHO am glad he was disarmed before he shot some body.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In my local home area, 100% of all soccer games are held on public school grounds. Schools are illegal places to carry here. Only police or authorized can legally do so. I never carry there. I don't want to lose my permit to carry.

Correct Duk, the law...in TX...does not support him in this specific instance.
    But within context of the quoted statement I was replying to people do think that because they are in TX they can act like whatever and do as they like jumping right to the gun when other very much viable and most humane options are available. This item of discussion comes up in posts here at DC as well as elsewhere like once a week.

- Janq

One of the basic tenets of a legal claim to self defense w/a lethal weapon is that you (the person using the lethal force), must be "100% blameless" in the altercation.

In this case, it sounds like the moron who pulled the gun also started the fight. You can't pick a fight (or escalate one) and then pull a gun when the other guy gets the best of you. That just won't fly

IMHO, he's toast.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    IMHO, those of you who say he shouldn't have drawn are missing the point. He should have avoided the fight in the first place.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by gwreddragon View Post
    imho, those of you who say he shouldn't have drawn are missing the point. he should have avoided the fight in the first place.
    exactly!!!

the two men got into an argument in the stands. The police report states that the victim pushed Burke, and then Burke pulled a handgun and pointed it at the victim's head.
    I'm NOT giving Burke a pass for pulling his gun, but it sounds to me like the husband started the physical assault by pushing Burke. Is someone yelling at your wife grounds for physical action against them? I don't think so. If it is, I'd like to know.

Keeping his mouth shut would have been best. Avoidance best also. Once assaulted, if in fear of harm, spray might have been an option.

Was there a disparity of force? Was he about to get pummeled by a huge guy?

I wonder if the husband gets a free pass on this.

I'd like to know more details. I'm not condoning pulling a weapon based on what I've read, but I think the husband should be charged with assault.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Yep .. turd is right. If you cannot control your emotions or your temper, you are not a candidate for a concealed weapons permit. I hope he never gets it back. He doesnt look like the criminal type but takes a good mug shot.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    What is missing from this discussion is the hypothetical actions of the other man, who would be legally justified for drawing and stopping the threat with a minimum (a magazine?) of lead in the torso.

If someone points a gun at me they will receive a swift response.

The point being as more and more people carry guns, some of whom will be uncontrolled hot heads, we may very well see a retard at a kid's soccer game geting shot.

I wonder what the score of the game was?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links