CCW Permit Holder Pulls Gun At Soccer Game (Merged) - Page 6

CCW Permit Holder Pulls Gun At Soccer Game (Merged)

This is a discussion on CCW Permit Holder Pulls Gun At Soccer Game (Merged) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The guy should not carry. He apparently lacks maturity, self control and training. Not a good role model either!...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    The guy should not carry. He apparently lacks maturity, self control and training. Not a good role model either!

Just another nail in the box. More ammunition for our opponents.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 25th, 2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Deleted political comment.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Just like a crook, escalating a situation with a firearm.
    What an idiot! Makes the rest of us look bad! I hope he does get jail time and loses his ccw for at least 5 years ! This guy needs to grow up big time ! The sad part he has kids what a dufus !

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    Just like a crook, escalating a situation with a firearm.
    What an idiot! Makes the rest of us look bad! I hope he does get jail time and loses his ccw for at least 5 years ! This guy needs to grow up big time ! The sad part he has kids what a dufus !
    If he gets jail time, he will lose his CCW forever.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    If he gets jail time, he will lose his CCW forever.
    At least where I live, IIRC, misdemeanor convictions only disqualify you from a CHP for 5 years. Felony convictions disqualify you for life, but it is possible to spend time in jail for a misdemeanor too.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by NavDoc View Post
    An old saying comes to mind: "It does not matter how much good we do, it only takes one knucklehead to screw it up for us."

As stated earlier, I hope this idiot did not mess it up for us law abiding CCW holders.
    Not to drift too far off topic, but when someone does something stupid with a car, people accept that he will get a ticket, get arrested, convicted and thrown in jail. I never hear them talk about banning cars because some people kill other people with them.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    Not to drift too far off topic, but when someone does something stupid with a car, people accept that he will get a ticket, get arrested, convicted and thrown in jail. I never hear them talk about banning cars because some people kill other people with them.
    I also don't hear people protesting and demonstrating that it is their right to drive a car anywhere they want, anyway they want and any kind of car they want without a permit. Why do we accept a permit for one without the other if they can be compared that closely. Remember the founding fathers didn't need cars to get around in so maybe we should ban them.

Also the primary reason cars were invented was not to kill people.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    At least where I live, IIRC, misdemeanor convictions only disqualify you from a CHP for 5 years. Felony convictions disqualify you for life, but it is possible to spend time in jail for a misdemeanor too.
    In my [shall issue] state and many others, the issuing sheriff gets to provide some input on whether or not to issue. I have heard of a revocation for speeding (85 in a 65), because the sheriff didn't think the CCW holder had the 'right attitude' when it came to taking the law seriously.

If I were sheriff and it went down like it has been described here, I would revoke his CCW for life. I'm sure that the real sheriffs would also do the same thing.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    In my [shall issue] state and many others, the issuing sheriff gets to provide some input on whether or not to issue. I have heard of a revocation for speeding (85 in a 65), because the sheriff didn't think the CCW holder had the 'right attitude' when it came to taking the law seriously.

If I were sheriff and it went down like it has been described here, I would revoke his CCW for life. I'm sure that the real sheriffs would also do the same thing.
    The Virginia code, for instance, only gives slight leeway here:

The court shall issue the permit and notify the State Police of the issuance of the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it is determined that the applicant is disqualified.

[...]

E. The following persons shall be deemed disqualified from obtaining a permit:

[...]

13. An individual who the court finds, by a preponderance of the evidence, based on specific acts by the applicant, is likely to use a weapon unlawfully or negligently to endanger others. The sheriff, chief of police, or attorney for the Commonwealth may submit to the court a sworn written statement indicating that, in the opinion of such sheriff, chief of police, or attorney for the Commonwealth, based upon a disqualifying conviction or upon the specific acts set forth in the statement, the applicant is likely to use a weapon unlawfully or negligently to endanger others. The statement of the sheriff, chief of police, or the attorney for the Commonwealth shall be based upon personal knowledge of such individual or of a deputy sheriff, police officer, or assistant attorney for the Commonwealth of the specific acts, or upon a written statement made under oath before a notary public of a competent person having personal knowledge of the specific acts.
    So if you got your CCW in Colorado revoked for speeding, you could probably get a non-resident VA one at least, since speeding is not proof that "the applicant is likely to use a weapon unlawfully or negligently to endanger others". Drawing at someone under the wrong circumstance, possibly. But...I bet with some state shopping you could find a state and/or sheriff that would issue you one.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    ...So if you got your CCW in Colorado revoked for speeding...
    He didn't get his CHL revoked for speeding. The sheriff believed that the speeder showed a lack of responsibility & maturity in blatantly disregarding the law.

Sounds like the following part of VA law is like what we have here in Colo w/respect to opinions of LEOs:

...based upon a disqualifying conviction or upon the specific acts set forth in the statement, the applicant is likely to use a weapon unlawfully or negligently to endanger others...
    Seems he already used the weapon unlawfully and endangered others hence, IMHO, if it went down as described, he shouldn't be allowed to ever CC again.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links