5 rules

This is a discussion on 5 rules within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you think of this article: Xavier Thoughts: Five Rules of Concealed Carry On target or not?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 rules

5 rules

What do you think of this article:

Xavier Thoughts: Five Rules of Concealed Carry

On target or not?

2. Remove Ads

I'm in general agreement with that report. Keep in mind that certain states define in their laws when you are able to use a firearm for defense- and that varies widely from state to state. This was not mentioned in that article.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    I just read the bold print, seems good to me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I can agree with all except #4. I live in a state where open carry is legal. My gun being seen by another is not reason for me to be arrested. Now if I brandish my gun that is a different matter.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I'm in general agreement with that report. Keep in mind that certain states define in their laws when you are able to use a firearm for defense- and that varies widely from state to state. This was not mentioned in that article.
    I agree with what Jon said. The basic one line rule in bold is just that, basic. As a concealed carrier, we have many hard and ethical rules to conform to but these seem like a good guideline. Open carry is legal where I live but I always conceal.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Me too.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I think that the blogger plagiarized these 5 rules. I had them in an NRA handout in my CCW class two years ago.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    I think that the blogger plagiarized these 5 rules. I had them in an NRA handout in my CCW class two years ago.
    He never claimed to be the author, he stated he added to them only.

Recently I read of the Five Rules of Concealed Carry. It was a good start, but did not quite make the grade. I have borrowed heavily from them though, and present my own Rules of Concealed Carry here.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Nothing is black and white, thus #3 is arguable in certain circumstances. #4 is crap all together.

Bold print seems accurate. It was enough in line with what is already out there i didn't bather reading the rest
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Until you read the authors definitions. I do not agree with three running is not always the best option even if you can and four is wrong. State dependent but it is those myths that create problems for those living in open carry states. In OC states the mere sight of a gun does not warrant alarm in any legal sense. Perpetuates the myth that only LEO and military can or should OC
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Until you read the authors definitions. I do not agree with three running is not always the best option even if you can and four is wrong. State dependent but it is those myths that create problems for those living in open carry states. In OC states the mere sight of a gun does not warrant alarm in any legal sense. Perpetuates the myth that only LEO and military can or should OC
    True, but someone telling someone "There is a man with a gun", etc. Sets a completely different tone. It will usually bring the LEA in regardless of what the situation really is.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I live in florida.
    Those rules wouldn't fly here.

Castle Docterine
    No Retreat required.
    Stand your Ground is law.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

While I agree we'd all like to think #4 is crap, the reality is that even in those states that allow OC, citizens will often get harassed or discriminated against for displaying their weapon. It might be one thing if you consciously OC -- you've probably prepared yourself mentally to accept the inevitable public scrutiny, and it's plainly obvious to anyone that you're not attempting to hide it and therefore might make some a bit more comfortable through your "full disclosure." But it's another thing entirely when you conceal and then flash your weapon. To many sheeple, it might look like you were caught "hiding' a gun, and some will quite likely think it better to err on the side of caution and report you. Once reported as a "man with a gun," LE has an obligation to check it out, and in the interest of their own safety it probably won't be a polite and discrete question along the lines of "terribly sorry to bother you, sir, since you probably have a permit, but could you be so kind as to please show it us and then we'll be on our way?" No, you'll probably be disarmed, patted down, and questioned. Possibly even cuffed until they verify your "righteousness." All in front of not only the public, but possibly your family, scared kids and all. Just not a pleasant experience, no matter how righteous you may be.

Even though OC is legal in my state, and even though I might one day take advantage of that privilege, I take every precaution to NOT disclose to the public that I'm carrying a gun. When I'm carrying concealed I'm going to do EVERYTHING I can to keep it concealed. Right or wrong, I just don't need the hassle, the confrontation with the LEO who is on edge or has had a bad day (as would be my luck), or the public humiliation for myself and family that I've read about in these situation.

So while I do agree that his "be prepared to go to jail" warning is an exaggeration for those states that allow OC, I do believe you should "be prepared for major headaches" regardless of the state in which you live. I'd rather avoid those headaches all around, but that's just me.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

I can’t agree with #4 as MN is an open carry state. While I don’t advocate OC you can’t be arrested for it here. You can be hassled, questioned, detained, etc. by the police depending on how they handle it, but arrested for simply OC, no.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links