Texas CHL question - DPS listing of certified instructors

This is a discussion on Texas CHL question - DPS listing of certified instructors within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't seen this question anywhere and feel somewhat embarrassed for asking....but want to be sure I cover all my bases. How often does DPS ...

Thread: Texas CHL question - DPS listing of certified instructors

Question Texas CHL question - DPS listing of certified instructors

I haven't seen this question anywhere and feel somewhat embarrassed for asking....but want to be sure I cover all my bases. How often does DPS update thier listing on the DPS website of certified CHL instructors? I went to my local gunstore (and Academy too) to look around and picked up several business cards of guys that do CHL classes. I thought I'd found one I wanted to take, but I noticed the guy wasn't on the DPS listing of Certified CHL instructors on the DPS site. I got to looking and a couple of the others weren't either. is it possible that they got certified after the list was posted (and it hasn't been updated)? or is this a red flag?

is this unusual? should I be concerned about taking a class with someone not listed on the site? surely if this guy wasn't certified, he'd of been busted already by the other people taking his class? I'm really looking forward to taking a class, and can't wait to get my license (even though it'll take forever because of current wait times) so I want to be sure and do it "right" the first time.

thoughts?
    FOM
    "Come, follow me, " Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." Mark 1:17

2. Remove Ads

The site is probably not updated frequently. If they say they're Certified CHL Instructors, ask to see their certificate after you've met them, and go from there.

VIP Member
    According to their site, the list is from 09/07. I would imagine there have been quite a few additions and deletions from the list since then. Like Rock and Glock said, have them produce their certification for you. You also might want to check with DPS and see if they have an updated printed copy of instructors available.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    it's not too difficult to call the DPS CHL Division and ask about an individual instructor. Simone, or another of the currently overwhelmed folks in the office would probably appreciate a question other than "where's my plastic?"

surv

FOM where about in west texas are you?

Also, just as a side note I just received my CHL and it was issued in about 60 days maybe 65 total after I mailed in my app. So the wait time is coming down.
    Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    it's not too difficult to call the DPS CHL Division and ask about an individual instructor. Simone, or another of the currently overwhelmed folks in the office would probably appreciate a question other than "where's my plastic?"

surv
    you're probably right...I understand that they are extremely backlogged and just judging from the list of people in the waiting room at the TexasCHL forum, I imagine they get plenty of the "where's my plastic calls". I'll give 'em a call.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy45 View Post
    FOM where about in west texas are you?

Also, just as a side note I just received my CHL and it was issued in about 60 days maybe 65 total after I mailed in my app. So the wait time is coming down.
    san angelo....how bout you? 60 to 65 days...wow...that's great. everything I had been reading about was as much as 180 due to the huge backlog....that's good to know. So i might have it before the end of the year. did you do the online stuff first so they could mail a packet or did you just use the packet the istructor gave you? electronic prints or regular?

I'm very excited about taking the class and getting my CHL...wasn't very excited about the wait after the class.

I'm in the Midland/Odessa area.

I used the packet the instructor gave me.

The place I took my class at did everything there: pictures, finger prints, instructions on filling everything out, etc. When I left all I did was insert a check and mail it in.

The prints were just the regular kind.
    Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

I suspect the list is out of date. DPS is not the most efficient organization out there. A friend and I sent our packages in on July 19th. Neither of us has a record etc. He got his license on sept 27. I'm still waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy45 View Post
    I'm in the Midland/Odessa area.

I used the packet the instructor gave me.

The place I took my class at did everything there: pictures, finger prints, instructions on filling everything out, etc. When I left all I did was insert a check and mail it in.

The prints were just the regular kind.
    My grandparents lived in Odessa for many years when I was a kid. My mom went to OHS and my uncle went to Permian...so in addition to the regular sibling rivalry, they had that too. good to run into a CHL somewhat close...

would love to find an instructor that had a one-stop shop like yours did. good to know about the instructor packet. some of the guys over at TexasCHLforum.com were saying that it sped up the process by doing the online app and using the packet that DPS sent you (about a week after filling out the app online)...if you got yours in 65 days doing it all with the class packet...then that sounds like the way to go.

thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by anchor44 View Post
    I suspect the list is out of date. DPS is not the most efficient organization out there. A friend and I sent our packages in on July 19th. Neither of us has a record etc. He got his license on sept 27. I'm still waiting.
    yeah...I'm sure your right...of course with the backlog they had and having to hire people to get the everything moving again, I'm sure the website update was the last thing they were worried with. Sorry to hear you still haven't gotten yours yet. Where did you take your class? I assume you took the class with your friend at the same place? did you use the instructor's packet or do the online thing? if online, did you get your pin and does it show what status the app is in?

Links