Another "plus" to CCW?

This is a discussion on Another "plus" to CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a little bored and started looking back at the older post in the Forum. There's some good reading here! From a thread started ...

Thread: Another "plus" to CCW?

Another "plus" to CCW?

I got a little bored and started looking back at the older post in the Forum. There's some good reading here!

From a thread started in January, several people told of a change in how they conducted themselvs since they began carrying concealed weapons.

It seems that they developed a tendency towards avoiding potential confrontations, largely due to the responsibility that comes with CCW.

Anyone who might not have read or posted in that thread notice a similar change in themselves? It sounds like an unexpected (to some) side-benifit to the 2nd Ammendment.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think that most good people are just that....good people that will try to avoid conflict until there is absolutely no choice but to be engaged in it.

Since mostly all legit firearms owners/CCW people are good people, I think that the addition of carrying a weapon just makes such people conscious of avoiding trouble, which before CCW'ing, was an unconscious pattern of behavior.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Pretty much what srfl said. I've never been one to seek out trouble, but now that I carry, I'm extra careful to avoid potential confrontations. I'm also more careful about little things like road rage. If some jackass wants to ride my bumper, I'll just move over and let them pass rather than getting angry and flipping them the bird. I feel this lends a lot of credence to the saying, "An armed society is a polite society."
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Assistant Administrator
    I do wish this was something the anti's would acknowledge and recognize.

All they seem to consider is <horror> citizens walking around - eek - ''with a gun''. Taking that further they seem also to think these same folks are spoiling for a fight - from which comes some of the ''rivers of blood'' crazy rhetoric.

Indeed with probably few exceptions, the average CCW person is more than discrete, and more than a little averse to looking for or finding trouble.

Bottom line is - we carry as a ''last ditch'' means of protection, of self and loved ones - to only be resorted to ''in extremis''. The mere knowledge that we have with us almost the ultimate tool for self defence does make for considerable humility and a wish to avoid confrontation.

Altho secondary in some respects I wish too the anti's would realize our own awareness of legal consequences and sequele are themselves a distinct disincentive to any macho wish to look for trouble.

We do NOT look for trouble - quite the opposite but should trouble find us then we have the means. It is that simple.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris is right to bad the Antis dont unerstand .. ive always tried to stay out of trouble

Lead Moderator
    I always have avoided trouble too, just do so more with a CCW permit and a weapon.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    (SNIP)
    All they seem to consider is <horror> citizens walking around - eek - ''with a gun''. (SNIP)
    Now isn't that the unfortunate truth!

I spent my Christmas night at a friend's house with her family (which included her very attractive 30-something single daughter.) Present was a very sweet older lady (mid to late 60's?) who sat on my left side at dinner. Earlier in the evening my friend announced to her family that I was a cop....no biggie there since my friend worked for the state investigative agency, FDLE.....

....fast forward back to dinner. The very kindly lady asked me if I was a cop. I replied "federal agent." She then asked me if I carried a gun. I replied "yes." She countered with...loaded?...with real bullets? I sort of chuckled...."uh, yes."

She seemed really unnerved with the prospect that someone would: 1) carry a gun, 3) have it loaded, and 3) carry live ammo....yikes....I'm glad she didn't "spot" my Kahr PM9 which was concealed in a Smart Carry holster.

She was a very, very nice lady but very much a
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I agree!!! I have always been a relatively nonconfrontational type, but now I am even more concious of potential confrontations. I have a slow burn fuse, but don't back me into a corner!

The antis just don't understand the mentallity.

The reason I brought this subject up was that I was struck by the lack of an "Now I can go anywhere without fear," attitudes from those who carry.

And what I gathered to be many, who have come to realize that since they now carry "half the power of God,*" that avoiding potential confrontation is even more of a concious process than before.

I'm seeing this as a good thing, something akin to an additional level of maturity.

* Anyone can take a life, but none among us can then restore it.

I suppose my point is that I very glad I found a forum that doesn't support a large population of "gunslinger" attitudes. Mostly real people talking about getting through life in the real world.

mm

It is an excellent point you make madmike, one that I try to stress in the classes I teach. I avoid confrontation at all costs. One example I give is when you are going home from work, it's 102 degrees out and your air conditioner doesnt' work, you boss and busniess associates have been on your case all day, some guy cuts you off in traffic then flips you the bird, he's just telling you that you are number one in his book. You can't have an attitude because you are now carrying a gun.

I think the anti's, on the other hand, think we are all going around looking for a shootout to participate in. That is so far from the truth.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Hi madmike,

I wish I had replied to this earlier. P95carry said it perfectly.

"Indeed with probably few exceptions, the average CCW person is more than discrete, and more than a little averse to looking for or finding trouble.

Bottom line is - we carry as a ''last ditch'' means of protection, of self and loved ones - to only be resorted to ''in extremis''. The mere knowledge that we have with us almost the ultimate tool for self defence does make for considerable humility and a wish to avoid confrontation."

I find myself being more discreet than ever, even to being more of a defensive driver than ever before. I want to protect my right to self defense and, living in a rather left leaning area, avoid drawing any attention to me.

Be Well,

Scarface

"
    Scarface
    Good night, Chesty, wherever you are
    http://www.anklepocket.com/

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO it doesnt take anyone who does the ccw thing to realise that any altrication they are involved is an armed one ( there will be at least one gun in that fight weather used or not ) not many of us want to attend such a dust up legalitys aside , heinlein was right in the sense that an armed scociety is a polite scociety

Yes, and R. Heinlein was quite right about quite a few other things, as well.

Its a more "polite" society in my way of thinking, in that I don't avoid a confrontation because I think the other person might be armed, I avoid the confrontation because I know I am armed and don't wish to be put in the postition of possibly having to end a confrontation with deadly force, through a process of idiotic escalation.

FYI, another of his sayings is my personal favorite, "Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

mm

Yep! I have found this to be true in my case as well. I go out of my way to avoid trouble - knowing full well that if I ever am forced to defend myself or a family member, some @#%$#$# prosecutor is going to scrutinize my every word and action leading up to the actual event.
    I also tend to stay away from places that would increase my odds of being attacked. (Well, counselor, I was just in the parking lot of that strip club because I had a flat tire and pulled over to fix it Honest! really!...)

Links