Interesting Traffic Stop - First LEO contact with permit

This is a discussion on Interesting Traffic Stop - First LEO contact with permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Divebum47 Agree. I was stopped at a DUI checkpoint a couple of years back. I told the officer, "I am armed and ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Traffic Stop - First LEO contact with permit

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Agree. I was stopped at a DUI checkpoint a couple of years back. I told the officer, "I am armed and have a permit. What would you like me to do?" He said, "Nothing, thank you." And let me go on my way. I believe that the most important part of the conversation is, "What would you like me to do?" Kinda reminds me of the sign in my office, "KISS".
    I like that, not long winded, and it doesn't sound like you think you know how things should go. Definitely shows compliance.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

2. Remove Ads

Agreed, keep it simple. If you are required to inform, then do so. If not, then to each their own.

In Colorado we are not required to inform, but with the season changing, I do not tuck (I carry tucked IWB normally) as often, especially if I am wearing extra clothing or a coat. If I am in my vehicle, I don't have my coat on as much. If I just hand the LEO my license and for what ever reason I have to reach over to the console, or glove box, the LEO is going to see I am packing, so I hand my CC permit with my license and say nothing. I try to have my wallet out and in my lap by the time the officer gets out of their vehicle, window down, and my hands on the top of the steering wheel waiting for instruction.

NOTE - I have only been stopped once since I got my CC, and it was for expired tags, the new ones were in my console, I just spaced putting them on. The LEO said nothing about my CC, after he ran my license, he just told me to get the sticker put on by the end of the day.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    To the OP and several others who have posted. I make sure I tell the LEO that I have a permit first before saying I'm armed. You never know when you might run across the one who freaks out when he hears "I have a gun". I prefer to let them know I have it legally before telling them I have it on me.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    To the OP and several others who have posted. I make sure I tell the LEO that I have a permit first before saying I'm armed. You never know when you might run across the one who freaks out when he hears "I have a gun". I prefer to let them know I have it legally before telling them I have it on me.
    Agreed, that's the first thing I noted when I read the OP. Don't say "I'm armed... and I have a permit." Rather "I have a permit, and I'm currently armed."

As to the question about LEO discretion, since the LEO's here didn't address it yet, my understanding has always been that a cop on the scene has a great degree of discretion, particularly in establishing the safety of all involved, including himself. If that means temporarily disarming you, then that's his call, unless there is some department policy against it. And since you can't apply a policy to every situation, I doubt many departments go there. Personally, I don't want to be interacting with a scared or nervous cop no matter whether he truly has a reason to be or not. If he doesn't know me, and hasn't established my legitimacy to his satisfaction, then if it makes him more comfortable to temporary disarm me, I don't have a problem with it. I'll just be quick to respectfully point out that my weapon is (usually) a cocked & locked 1911 and that I hope he's familiar with how to make one safe.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Hey Biker, I'm not in total disagreement with you, but it is annoying when people try to sound official with lawyer speak. I understand the thinking behind your advice. Just tell me what you want to tell me, I understand both jargons.

Just curious though, as federal LEO, how many and what kind of traffic stops do you make?
    I'm a LEO and that's very similar to what was "suggested" to me by one of the lawyers. Take care and stay safe.
    Traffic?

What traffic? Give me a dollar and I'll go play in the road.

Seriously though, I don't do traffic stops. That's way too dangerous for this bookworm.

That was the approach that one of the agency "leagal beagles" told my class at FLETC to use. Bear in mind though, we are talking about people from all 50, some of them not free, states. How do you tell a copper in New York City that you have a gun on, and it's legal?

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I was involved in a fender/bender in May of this year. When the Officer arrived I handed him both the drivers license and permit without saying anything. He looked at both, returned the permit and said thank you. The firearms location or status was never discussed. Quite professional on his part. Maybe looking at a 75 year old wearing a Korean/Vietnam Veterans cap set him at ease. :)
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    I was involved in a fender/bender in May of this year. When the Officer arrived I handed him both the drivers license and permit without saying anything. He looked at both, returned the permit and said thank you. The firearms location or status was never discussed. Quite professional on his part. Maybe looking at a 75 year old wearing a Korean/Vietnam Veterans cap set him at ease. :)
    DING DING DING.... we have a winner.

I like this way much better specially in cases like Der Alte where other people might be around and they do not need to know you have a weapon. Now, of course we should hear from our LEOs about this method of information.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    When I read postings like this, I'm glad I live in New Mexico where I don't need a permit to carry in my vehicle and if I get pulled over, I'm not required to say anything.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Trying to sound official always slightly annoys me, I'd just keep it simple and direct to the point.
    Yea, sounds a bit like a robot, you would probably get the peoples eyebrow if you said something like that lol.

I have been pulled over once for expired tags and the guy didn't give me a chance to tell him I was armed. He probably knew, in VA I believe police have a notification on CHP status come up when the plate is put in.

"I have a concealed handgun permit and I'm armed."

Doesn't get much more straight forward than that. Better than spouting off 3 sentences of useless fluff.
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

I had two occasions recently here in SC. First was an accident when I handed all paperwork and my CWP to the State Trooper, He handed the CWP back immediately and said nothing. Second was a "safety" check aimed mostly at Bikers, Fall Bike Week, and he never blinked just smiled and said have a nice day.

Rewind a few years ago to driving home from bowling, stopped by a Suffolk County, NY LEO, and when informed drew his hangun and shouted, "Don't Move!, Don't Move, show me your weapon" Kinda hard to do.

BTW . . . The handgun was my friends not mine he had 2 relatives on the force, politico connections, and a heavy cash carrying job.

....I handed him both the drivers license and permit without saying anything. He looked at both, returned the permit and said thank you.
    In Ohio, if I am armed I am required by law to let the LEO know that I am armed. It's discretionary to tell him/her I have a permit. However, it's probably good practice to let him/her know that I'm licensed. As far as the sequence of "I'm armed and I have a permit", or "I have a permit and am armed," - good point. And I will take that to heart. I hope not to be stopped again for any reason. I try to obey the law (except for the combination of lead foot and radar detector), and have not been stopped for a violation for years. So, I don't know exactly what I would say. I just know what I said to the officer who stopped me at the DUI check. (Since I was armed, I, of course, had been drinking Club Soda at dinner).
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    When I read postings like this, I'm glad I live in New Mexico where I don't need a permit to carry in my vehicle and if I get pulled over, I'm not required to say anything.
    I wonder if the OP realizes we enjoy the same "privileges" here in the great state of Georgia?

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Agree. I was stopped at a DUI checkpoint a couple of years back. I told the officer, "I am armed and have a permit. What would you like me to do?" He said, "Nothing, thank you." And let me go on my way. I believe that the most important part of the conversation is, "What would you like me to do?" Kinda reminds me of the sign in my office, "KISS".

I like this. Someone here posted one time that you should mention FIRST that you have a PERMIT to carry concealed, the point being that you mention the word PERMIT before the weapon, THEN, don't say the word GUN or WEAPON, but instead say Carry Concealed, THEN "What would you like me to do?".

Keep it simple--like this:

Hello.
    I have a permit to carry concealed.
    What would you like me to do?

jfl
    I always try to put myself in the other person shoes ...
    What would I like to hear if I was the Officer ?

I guess it is highly dependent on the circumstances.
    2am in a bad area of town, or 10am in front of the local breakfast joint.

In Florida we don't have to disclose; I always do, mentioning "by courtesy" and I believe the "How would you like me to proceed?" part is important to show your calm and control.

I was told a few years by an Atlanta motorcycle cop that small talk about yourself and what you are doing could help you to get a lesser ticket, or no ticket ...
    Don't know if there is any truth in that.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by MaricopaKid View Post
    I wonder if the OP realizes we enjoy the same "privileges" here in the great state of Georgia?
    Ya I know, but I think its good practice to let the officer know anyways. Who knows what could happen that he were to find out if you didn't tell him...then you would have to deal with the whole "Why are you hiding it from me, why didn't you tell me?"
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links