Interesting Traffic Stop - First LEO contact with permit

This is a discussion on Interesting Traffic Stop - First LEO contact with permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Trying to sound official always slightly annoys me, I'd just keep it simple and direct to the point. Yeah, like... Hey, ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Traffic Stop - First LEO contact with permit

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Trying to sound official always slightly annoys me, I'd just keep it simple and direct to the point.
    Yeah, like...
    Hey, I have a gun, you have a gun...I'll tell you what, you don't pull yours, and I won't pull mine...deal?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    About a week ago I was pulled over by the local sheriff for the first time since I got my cc license.

I was driving around an area that I wasn't familiar with. I figured out I was going the wrong way on the road (it was a side street) so I found a gravel drive way and used it to turn around. I came up to a cross road and was going fairly slow trying to figure out where I was at and what direction I needed to go. Right then I saw the blue lights behind me. I finished pulling through the intersection and pulled over. I rolled down my window, put my car in park, and put both my hands on the wheel.

When the officer walked up he asked me for my license and registration. I told him "Yes, I have them but I'm armed and licensed to carry."

The officer didn't seem alarmed at all. He just asked me where my gun was and what kind of gun it was. I told him "Its in my center console. Its a Taurus 9mm and it is loaded." He then asked me to get out of the car, so I stepped out and walked to the back of my car and leaned up on it. He pulled my gun out, unloaded it and walked it over to his car. He said "I'm doing this for my safety." I replied "I understand, its not a problem."

I then handed him my license and cc permit. He reminded me that he needed my registration so I went back into my car and grabbed it from the glove box. He waled back to his car and did his thing (running the tag and my dl number) and then came back.

He told me that he was sitting up the street when I had turned around. He was camped out looking for a wanted person and my car matched the description. He gave me my gun back (unloaded), apologized for the inconvenience, and let me on my way.

It was a pretty pleasant experience. I must say though I was a little nervous telling a cop that I had a loaded gun on me for the first time. I've heard some pretty nasty rumors of how some Atlanta area police will pull you out of the car at gun point as soon as you say that....I'm glad it didn't happen like that
    Pretty silly to me...you're already out of the car...you're a licensed CCW holder...you stated that fact when you were first stopped...

Wouldn't everybody have been safer if the gun had stayed inside the console?

Bunch of 'toro feces' if you ask me.

Stay armed...makes one think, why should I say anything if I don't have to, with this kind of crap...stay safe!

It's OMO...of course...for your safety and mine I'll keep the other opinions to my self.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As a Ohio LEO, that just isnt the case. Sorry you feel that way.
    It may not be the case with YOU or even with your department. It has been an issue in the past, and people have discussed it on the Ohioans for Concealed Carry forums.

I've never tried to snatch a cop's gun. That doesn't mean that NOBODY has. Just because I've never done or seen it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    It may not be the case with YOU or even with your department. It has been an issue in the past, and people have discussed it on the Ohioans for Concealed Carry forums.

I've never tried to snatch a cop's gun. That doesn't mean that NOBODY has. Just because I've never done or seen it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
    I agree with that, but same can be said for any state or any police dept., not just Ohio and its current law.
    Fact of the matter is that a lot is up to luck of the draw and what kind of officer you deal with. Being fairly familer with the Cleveland area, that is not the general feeling of LE. Yes, you might get a bad apple, but on a whole you have a pretty good bunch here.

Oh yeah, I saw your post count and was going to welcome you to the forum, but you have been a member as long as I have!
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
    Even in Texas, as I read the law, you have to hand him your CHL if you're carrying a handgun, but you don't have to tell the officer you're armed. In all these discussions about LEO encounters, I can't see any advantage in doing so.
    You don't have to tell him you are armed until he asks, then you must answer truthfully.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I agree with that, but same can be said for any state or any police dept., not just Ohio and its current law.
    Fact of the matter is that a lot is up to luck of the draw and what kind of officer you deal with. Being fairly familer with the Cleveland area, that is not the general feeling of LE. Yes, you might get a bad apple, but on a whole you have a pretty good bunch here.

Oh yeah, I saw your post count and was going to welcome you to the forum, but you have been a member as long as I have!
    I forgot I belonged to this forum until a week or two ago!

Seemed useful now that I have my CHL.

Actually, other than failure to take down signs for preempted or repealed laws, most the problems in Ohio now appear to involve open carry, and those seem concentrated in specific areas.

similar instance

I had a similar instance here in Colorado. I am an armed security guard and I had just been relieved of duty. It was around 0030 and I as pulled over for no reason I could think of. After turning on my dome light and placing my hands on the steering wheel he walked up to my window and asked me for my license and registration. I told the officer, " I am licensed to conceal and I have 2 weapons in my car. One is my duty weapon which is on my hip, ( I was still in uniform) and my concealed weapon is in my glove box." He told me to sit tight and he went back to his cruiser. About 10 minutes later, another Police car arrived and both officers walked up to my car, one on each side of my car. He asked me to get out and stand go to the rear of the vehicle. He let me keep my duty weapon on me but the other officer got my Concealed weapon out of my glove box. he unloaded it and when they ran my plates and everything, they handed my weapon back and said, "there was a child abduction and the abductor was driving a black car." they sent me on my way. it was strange that they let me keep the weapon on my body but un loaded the weapon in glove box?

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Gee, there's one in every crowd.

It has nothing to do with "sounding official". It has everything to do with going home after the stop is completed.

It's letting the officer know that their is a weapon involved, besides the one the officer has, in as non-threatening a manner as possible.

Biker
    Maybe the LEO's should be taught how to interact with the taxpayers. I find it odd that someone always finds a way to criticize a citizen when the citizen is doing nothing wrong and trying to co-operate.
    Who is working for who?
    If you are a LEO, why don't you be the first to work with your staff in training?

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    You don't have to tell him you are armed until he asks, then you must answer truthfully.
    The question was are there any weapons in the vehicle he needs to know about. The truthful answer from my point of view is no, the officer doesn't need to know about anything concealed on my person or in my private car, not guns, knives, drugs, money, stolen property, or dead bodies. It's none of his business.

I don't have to answer any question that would tend to incriminate me, and telling an officer you have a gun is a good way to get treated like a criminal. Lot's of them won't, but I see two people in this thread that look like they were then subjected to illegal search and seizure after confessing they have a gun. It's like giving him probable cause to pull you out of the car, pat you down like a criminal, search your vehicle, and hassle you. I'm not inclined to volunteer for that.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Yeah, like...
    Hey, I have a gun, you have a gun...I'll tell you what, you don't pull yours, and I won't pull mine...deal?
    I've been thinking about that in some of these threads. You shouldn't be any more concerned about mine than I am about yours.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Wouldn't everybody have been safer if the gun had stayed inside the console?
    Ah, but then he wouldn't have had the opportunity to search the car.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    It's letting the officer know that their is a weapon involved, besides the one the officer has, in as non-threatening a manner as possible.
    It's a traffic stop. A gun is an inanimate object. It's not involved any more than the crow bar in the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
    The question was are there any weapons in the vehicle he needs to know about. The truthful answer from my point of view is no, the officer doesn't need to know about anything concealed on my person or in my private car, not guns, knives, drugs, money, stolen property, or dead bodies. It's none of his business.

I don't have to answer any question that would tend to incriminate me, and telling an officer you have a gun is a good way to get treated like a criminal. Lot's of them won't, but I see two people in this thread that look like they were then subjected to illegal search and seizure after confessing they have a gun. It's like giving him probable cause to pull you out of the car, pat you down like a criminal, search your vehicle, and hassle you. I'm not inclined to volunteer for that.

For the life of me, if you have nothing to hide, then what is the problem of notifying the LEO that 1) you have a CCP (if CCP is required in your state) 2) that you have a weapon/firearm on your person and/or also in your vehicle 3) just being courteous and as concerned for his safety as yours......Most LEO's want to go home to their family just like you do and most LEO's want to protect themselves AND their families just like you do. Why the big "act" of his requesting your firearm, asking if you have a firearm in the vehicle, etc being something that VIOLATES your rights.

As for what I would say if stopped, either through a road block check or for a violation: "Officer, here's my license and CWP, I am carrying and have a weapon in my console." I'll gladly follow his directions from there. I want to go home safe and I'm sure he does as well.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovrmydeadbdy View Post
    it was strange that they let me keep the weapon on my body but un loaded the weapon in glove box?
    No.
    "Just blame Sixto"

North Carolina is also a notification state, the law states that
    Any person who has a concealed handgun permit. . . shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer
    From both my CCW class and talking to LEO's, it seems that means if we even say hello to an officer, the next thing out of our mouths better be "I have a CHP and am armed."

And since NC CHP are tied to both our DL's and our license plates, if it is a traffic stop, it is a good idea to announce that you both hold a permit and whether you are armed or not.

We have specifically been told that simply handing our CHP to them is NOT sufficient under the law.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links