Interesting Traffic Stop - First LEO contact with permit

This is a discussion on Interesting Traffic Stop - First LEO contact with permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About a week ago I was pulled over by the local sheriff for the first time since I got my cc license. I was driving ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Traffic Stop - First LEO contact with permit

Interesting Traffic Stop - First LEO contact with permit

About a week ago I was pulled over by the local sheriff for the first time since I got my cc license.

I was driving around an area that I wasn't familiar with. I figured out I was going the wrong way on the road (it was a side street) so I found a gravel drive way and used it to turn around. I came up to a cross road and was going fairly slow trying to figure out where I was at and what direction I needed to go. Right then I saw the blue lights behind me. I finished pulling through the intersection and pulled over. I rolled down my window, put my car in park, and put both my hands on the wheel.

When the officer walked up he asked me for my license and registration. I told him "Yes, I have them but I'm armed and licensed to carry."

The officer didn't seem alarmed at all. He just asked me where my gun was and what kind of gun it was. I told him "Its in my center console. Its a Taurus 9mm and it is loaded." He then asked me to get out of the car, so I stepped out and walked to the back of my car and leaned up on it. He pulled my gun out, unloaded it and walked it over to his car. He said "I'm doing this for my safety." I replied "I understand, its not a problem."

I then handed him my license and cc permit. He reminded me that he needed my registration so I went back into my car and grabbed it from the glove box. He waled back to his car and did his thing (running the tag and my dl number) and then came back.

He told me that he was sitting up the street when I had turned around. He was camped out looking for a wanted person and my car matched the description. He gave me my gun back (unloaded), apologized for the inconvenience, and let me on my way.

It was a pretty pleasant experience. I must say though I was a little nervous telling a cop that I had a loaded gun on me for the first time. I've heard some pretty nasty rumors of how some Atlanta area police will pull you out of the car at gun point as soon as you say that....I'm glad it didn't happen like that
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, I've got my license in the mail and am kinda nervous about that first time something like this happens. But it seems like everything worked out nicely and he was very polite!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

When the officer walked up he asked me for my license and registration. I told him "Yes, I have them but I'm armed and licensed to carry."
    Not saying you did a bad job, but a better way to phrase it would include using "policespeak", or phrasing similar to what he used with you.

EXAMPLE:

O: "License and Registration Please.

S: "For your safety and mine I would like to tell you that I have a Concealed Weapons Permit and I have a legally carried firearm on me in the vehicle. How would you like to proceed?"

After that it's his or her call. Your phrasing tells him that you are concerned with his or her safety, as well as your own. It also shows compliance.

I'm a LEO and that's very similar to what was "suggested" to me by one of the agency lawyers. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

PS: Don't ever use the word "gun" in this situation.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Yeah, Atlanta has a very anti personality. Glad it was a professional and both of you had a good experience.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Yeah, Atlanta has a very anti personality. Glad it was a professional and both of you had a good experience.
    I've noticed that. Shortly after I got my permit I was told by a Paulding County Sheriff that my license wasn't good to carry. I wasn't armed at the time (it was only a few days after I got my license and I was still looking for a good holster). He basically told me that I would have been screwed had I been armed since I would be breaking the law. I found this pretty ridiculous so I filed a complaint with their department about it.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    I've noticed that. Shortly after I got my permit I was told by a Paulding County Sheriff that my license wasn't good to carry. I wasn't armed at the time (it was only a few days after I got my license and I was still looking for a good holster). He basically told me that I would have been screwed had I been armed since I would be breaking the law. I found this pretty ridiculous so I filed a complaint with their department about it.
    Please keep us posted on how the complaint is handled.

Michael

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Not saying you did a bad job, but a better way to phrase it would include using "policespeak", or phrasing similar to what he used with you.

EXAMPLE:

O: "License and Registration Please.

S: "For your safety and mine I would like to tell you that I have a Concealed Weapons Permit and I have a legally carried firearm on me in the vehicle. How would you like to proceed?"

After that it's his or her call. Your phrasing tells him that you are concerned with his or her safety, as well as your own. It also shows compliance.

I'm a LEO and that's very similar to what was "suggested" to me by one of the agency lawyers. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

PS: Don't ever use the word "gun" in this situation.
    Trying to sound official always slightly annoys me, I'd just keep it simple and direct to the point.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Gee, there's one in every crowd.

It has nothing to do with "sounding official". It has everything to do with going home after the stop is completed.

It's letting the officer know that their is a weapon involved, besides the one the officer has, in as non-threatening a manner as possible.

Thank you and have a good night.

Biker

I kinda agree with Sixto on this one, sometimes we take the long road when it more pratical to just say.

Officer, I have an concealed permit and I do have my firearm with me.

Actually what the poster stated to him seemed reasonable to me. direct and to the point.

To stay on track with the topic, I glad the poster had a positive contact,
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

He pulled my gun out, unloaded it and walked it over to his car. He said "I'm doing this for my safety." I replied "I understand, its not a problem."
    Harrumph. And for my safety, I'm sure he wouldn't mind unloading his weapon too, and placing it in my car.

In point of fact, I can't think of any state's CCW permit that says, "valid except in the presence of nervous police officers who dislike the idea that the same State which grants them their own power and authority, might possibly determine that others in society may be equally responsible and powerful."

Dex
    Dex }:>=-

Lightningwear Deep Concealment Holsters: http://www.lightningwear.net

Hey you LEO's, is it officer discretion when it comes to how to handle a CC stop? As in taking the driver out of the vehicle or not, checking out/unloading the gun etc. I heard that a lot of departments are now distributing pamphlets to officers on the laws of CC and how to handle these stops because a lot of them were getting too crazy with the way they would handle these stops.

To the OP I probably would have said almost the same thing, but with Sixto's advice, just short and simple. "I'm doing good officer, I have my license and registration but I also have a CCP and am armed at this time, how should we proceed. Nothing more, nothing less. All while smiling of course! (not the sinister "pink slip" kinda smile though haha)
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I do find it interesting that he still thought the gun was a threat even after you were out of the car and the gun was in the glovebox...I'm also curious if this was an illegal search were he entered your vehicle without permission. What would of happened if he had found something in the glovebox that was illegal?

I think it is a bad practice for a anybody to handle a weapon they might not be familiar with...such as this case. To many examples of bad things happening.

As for what to say...I sure don't get wrapped around the axle, it is your demeanor and body language that is most important. As long as you communicate verbal and non-verbal...you be good to go.

Rick

I'm glad you had a good experience.

Here in Maine, we do not have to announce to LEO that we are armed. Solves the problem of what to say, huh?

Kev

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Gee, there's one in every crowd.

It has nothing to do with "sounding official". It has everything to do with going home after the stop is completed.

It's letting the officer know that their is a weapon involved, besides the one the officer has, in as non-threatening a manner as possible.

Thank you and have a good night.

Biker
    Hey Biker, I'm not in total disagreement with you, but it is annoying when people try to sound official with lawyer speak. I understand the thinking behind your advice. Just tell me what you want to tell me, I understand both jargons.

Just curious though, as federal LEO, how many and what kind of traffic stops do you make?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Trying to sound official always slightly annoys me, I'd just keep it simple and direct to the point.
    Agree. I was stopped at a DUI checkpoint a couple of years back. I told the officer, "I am armed and have a permit. What would you like me to do?" He said, "Nothing, thank you." And let me go on my way. I believe that the most important part of the conversation is, "What would you like me to do?" Kinda reminds me of the sign in my office, "KISS".
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links