After being held at gunpoint UFC fighter getting CCW

This is a discussion on After being held at gunpoint UFC fighter getting CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hope I'm posting this in the correct area, if not then mods please move with my apologies.. UFC light heavyweight Brandon Vera was held ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After being held at gunpoint UFC fighter getting CCW

I hope I'm posting this in the correct area, if not then mods please move with my apologies..

UFC light heavyweight Brandon Vera was held at gunpoint by several armed intruders while staying at his Brazilian Jiu-jitsu coach's home.

With his training camp in its latter stages and his bout with Keith Jardine at UFC 89 less then two weeks away, Brandon Vera woke up around 4 a.m. with his Brazilian jiu-jitsu coach, Lloyd Irvin, standing over his bed.

“He said, ‘Hey Brandon’ and I thought it was a bad dream,” Vera recalled. “I thought he was going to make me work out. He said, ‘Right now I’m being robbed. I need you out of bed. You need to be quiet. Just calm down, just relax and don’t say anything.’”

Two men had entered Irvin’s house through his basement window early that morning. Vera was staying at the house with Irvin’s wife, child and a mutual friend, Thad. The men gathered Irvin, his wife, child and Vera into a room upstairs eventually forcing Vera and Irvin’s wife to lie flat on the ground. The men were very organized.

“They were lined up in stagger formation a few feet apart and three to five feet from us so there was no way we could make contact with them, but they could make contact with us,” said Vera. “They spoke in clear and concise language. They were pros and that’s what bothered me the most about them. They knew what they were doing exactly and what they were going for.”

Once the two men had Vera, Irvin and his family in one room, one of them went across the hall to go get Thad. When he left the room Irvin made his move.

“As soon as he left, Master Lloyd starting telling him that he was going to throw up, saying, ‘I don’t feel good. I don’t understand what you’re telling me to do,’" said Vera. "The guy is pointing around with the gun trying to tell Master Lloyd what to do and Master Lloyd said every time he saw the gun wave to the side he said, ‘Got it. Got it. Got it.’ And then he said the guy waved the gun one more time and that’s when he just grabbed it, pinned him up against the wall, pushed the gun into his stomach and pushed the release on the gun for the magazine to drop out.”

Irvin then dropped to the floor to grab the gun and he gave Vera another gun he had in the house. Irvin fired a shot from his son’s upstairs bedroom window into the backyard as the two men fled the scene. The police were called to the scene soon after to put an end to an experience Vera described as “surreal.”

“I went and trained the morning after,” said Vera. “Later on I went to train for a session that evening. I was still nervous about being in a crowd. I had to sleep with a gun on me. I’m getting my license so I could carry wherever I go now. It’s changed my thinking a lot because if it could happen to me it could happen to anybody. It doesn’t matter where you’re living at, neighborhood or wherever.”
    Full article at: Sherdog.com
    Life Member: Grass Roots North Carolina, GOA | Member: NRA
    Carrying: Springfield Armory XD(M) .40 S&W | Kel-Tec PF9

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Wow Nothing like a cool head in the middle of the storm....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

NOONE is a big bad dude when facing an armed scumbag. But if we choose, we can at least equal.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

...And then he said the guy waved the gun one more time and that’s when he just grabbed it, pinned him up against the wall, pushed the gun into his stomach and pushed the release on the gun for the magazine to drop out.”...
    Humpf. Missed the trigger - IOW - Wrong button.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

For some, that's what it takes. Good for him, for seeing a simple truth of security: can't use what you don't have with you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Sounds like EXACTLY what a UFC fighter should do.

He identified an area of weakness which he had not considered before, and is taking steps to shore it up.

not good that it happened to him but hopefully more and more people hear about it and might influence others.. every situation helps..

H2H combat and firearms go hand in hand!
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

This is a perfect example of the equalizing effect a firearm can have..

What were likely weak minded/bodied crooks were able to overpower and subdue much much stronger minded/bodied atheletes, until the stronger minds were able to overcome the handicap the crooks were using to make up for the physical imbalance.

Glad nobody was hurt. This also goes to show that a gun doesn't guarantee you win in any fight. In this case, the stronger minds were able to prevail.

Stay armed, but most importantly. STAY SMART!
    I work to buy guns. Not really, but sometimes it feels that way..

WOW!! Vera is a bad dude in the Octagon. Just shows don't matter how good a fighter you are a gun changes everything.
    God Bless America!!

Just goes to prove that private citizens don't need to have guns! You just take them away from the BG's! (tongue in cheek)

Too bad it can't work out that well every time, but since it doesn't, I'll hang on to my loaded arsenal.

More proof of 'any time, any place'...

Can't people learn...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

...and what form of Moron get's the bright idea of trying to hold/rob/ect. a Pro UFC fighter and THE GUY HE IS LEARNING FROM!

stupid people, doing stupid things.

but...great for Vera on deciding to get his CCW!
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Great Post!
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

Good that they remained calm and no GG's got hurt. So there will be at least 2 UFC fighters with a CCW. From what I've seen on youtube, Frank Mir has a CCW.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links