Carry while in college?

Carry while in college?

This is a discussion on Carry while in college? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok..after reading several post in here about college and campus carry, I am even more confused. If I decide to go back to school, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carry while in college?

Ok..after reading several post in here about college and campus carry, I am even more confused. If I decide to go back to school, I do not want to disarm while in school. As far as I can understand Utah is the only state that allows campus carry, according to opencarry.org maps. Some in here said that you can also carry in PA and CO. Is this true?

It is my understanding that this only applies for public college and that privates colleges can pretty much do as they like, is that correct?

So when ignoring private colleges like University of Denver and other private schools, I am looking into Salt Lake City Community College, Colorado Northwestern Community College, Utah Valley University and Fort Lewis College. Am I allowed to carry here?

Being the law freak I am, I do not want to break neither the state law o r the college regualtion.

Thanks for all the input, advise and directions.

Your very much right private schools decided for themselves whether they want CCW or not. Most you will find will not because they are ignorant and or feel that they are protected enough by their rent a cops. I myself go to a private school (Washburn University) and it's truly a pain to have to disarm all the time. But for me I wanted the best of the best and that was washburn. What are you wanting to go back to school to study if you don't mind me asking?

Colo law allows the institutions to decide for themselves. i.e. The Regents of The University of Colorado (CU) system (Boulder, Denver & Colo Spgs) do not allow carry but The Colorado State University (CSU) system (Ft Collins, Denver, Pueblo) allows Colo CHL holders to carry everywhere on campus except in dormitories.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWolf View Post
    What are you wanting to go back to school to study if you don't mind me asking?
    I was thinking about international business..

I can tell you from experience that Jamestown College most certainly does not allow firearms or even the mention of such on their campus. Even in VERY pro gun North Dakota!

I guess the rules were written by sheep who belive that their ONE (1) sorry excuse for a human being security guard can keep a campus of around 1,000 students and 60 staff/faculty safe.

My rant is done and that being said, I love being a Jimmie, just not the administration is run.
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Jamestown College is a private college in North Dekota?! I am only interested in the following schools:
    Salt Lake City Community College
    Colorado Northwestern Community College
    Utah Valley University
    Fort Lewis College

As far as I can read "KenInColo" said yes to all of those school. Thanks by the way.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Utah is the only state where it is illegal for a college or university to ban guns on campus. However, I do know that in New Hampshire it is legal. You may face academic repercussions for being caught, but won't go to jail - at least the first time.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Unfortunately, in 2008, this is really an uphill battle. I am unsure if your reasons for carrying are due to concern for your safety, political, a matter of principal, or something else. Hopefully, you have a clear understanding why you carry.

Deciding which school is the best for you is a complicated choice. Academically, culturally, location, cost, future job-wise... The requirement to carry while in class severely limits your choices. I would be careful to make such an important decision for the right reasons (and if you happen to decide on Utah, great!).

Remember, you can still carry off campus.

best of luck...

P.S. some schools still have Target Rifle teams that let you bring your target rifle (unloaded) on campus. Not concealed carry by any means, but a way to combine a love of shooting with your school.

College carry in Washington

Concealed carry on a college campus in Washington is not illegal, although colleges and universities can enact rules that restrict carry by students. As one other poster said, you would most likely suffer consequences from the school and possibly be "trespassed" from the campus, but there are no criminal charges that can be pressed unless you are violating some other statute.

There are colleges in Washington that do not have prohibitions on concealed handguns. You have to inquire (or not, up to you).

I actually was invited to carry when I attended a university in Washington -- the Lieutenant in charge of the campus police department told me he would be more comfortable if he knew there were "good guys" with guns in case something bad went down.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    Colo law allows the institutions to decide for themselves. i.e. The Regents of The University of Colorado (CU) system (Boulder, Denver & Colo Spgs) do not allow carry but The Colorado State University (CSU) system (Ft Collins, Denver, Pueblo) allows Colo CHL holders to carry everywhere on campus except in dormitories.
    I should not have restricted the carry at CSU to Colo CHL holders. I should have said " allows anyone who holds a valid CHL, recognized by the State of Colorado, to carry ...".
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Utah is the only state where it is illegal for a college or university to ban guns on campus. However, I do know that in New Hampshire it is legal. You may face academic repercussions for being caught, but won't go to jail - at least the first time.
    Yes, there's a difference between the state banning it, making it ILLEGAL, and the college banning it, and you facing expulsion but no jail time.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

All 9 public univesrities in Utah allow concealed carry for recognized CCW holders by state law.

Colorado State University allows concealed carry by policy for recognized CCW holders - it's legal to carry in Colorado, but Universities are allowed to ban it if they'd like.

Blue Ridge Community College in Virginia also allows concealed carry by policy, just like CSU.

Those are your 11 options if you don't want to break the law/policies.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Thanks for all the help.

PM
    The Colorado State University (CSU) system (Ft Collins, Denver, Pueblo) allows Colo CHL holders to carry everywhere on campus except in dormitories.
    So does this mean that if I live in the dorm I cannot CC on campus? In other words to CC on the CSU campuses I must live off campus?

As long as it was legal, but not allowed by the college...I'd carry. What's going to happen if you used your weapon during a crime, you're still alive and out of the college? OK, kick me out, but I'm still alive.

Concealed is concealed...but stay legal...as far as the college 'rules'?

Stay armed...get an education...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links