Back of the Line?

This is a discussion on Back of the Line? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok last night I post about the wait time in Florida as I am coming up on 75 days. Today in the mail I receive ...

Thread: Back of the Line?

Back of the Line?

Ok last night I post about the wait time in Florida as I am coming up on 75 days. Today in the mail I receive the dreaded letter from the DOA. Seems my electronic finger print taken at the local Sheriff's office are "not sufficently legible for the FBI" Needless to say I need to get them redone, which I will do tomorrow and get right out in the mail so they have them in Tallahassee on Monday or Tuesday. Now, do I go to the back of the line and start the wait process from the begining or pick up where they left off. Anyone else have to go thru this that knows? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I had a similar problem; I don't think I was put at the back of the line. I didn't put the local sheriff's office address on the fingerprint card and FL returned it--I filled in the item myself and returned it. My processing took 90 days, but was probably only extended a couple of weeks by my error.

Call and ask, they are quite friendly and will help out if possible. I think the problem is a large increase in the number of requests...which is a good thing.

Hang in there...it's only a wait, a much better thing than in many states.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Did you have it done at the SO on Six mile Cypress? If so the same thing happened to me from the same place!

Hi only9mm and welcome to DC I'm also in cape coral. So about your problem I don't think it will extend you wait by much if at all. I say this as my original application years ago was for a nonresident license to carry from Florida. My finger prints were said to be illegible and they needed a new card,and this was about 60 something days into my wait and I got the permit in the mail on the 93rd day. I hope this helps you out.

No, it was the station on Pondella. The gentleman who did them had a physical handicap and seemed to struggle doing it. It took him a half hour to complete it. Hopefully it will be someone else working tomorrow.

Is your name Bryan by chance? I was hoping it would be an additional 33 days.

I will call. You're right they are friendly and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by only 9mm View Post
    Today in the mail I receive the dreaded letter from the DOA. Seems my electronic finger print taken at the local Sheriff's office are "not sufficiently legible for the FBI"
    Now I am curious as to whether there are different types of electronic finger print machines in use. When I was electronically finger printed at my local sheriff's office the computer analyzed and compared each print to required standards of legibility before the print was accepted. As a result, the deputy had to repeat some of my prints until the computer was satisfied. If this type of system were in use everywhere I think your particular experience would be a rare occurrence.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I perform finger printing for the DOD. Without getting in too deep, the computer does have a quality check before the prints can be sent. However, the level/standard of quality can be set by the adminstrator that runs the machine. Just because the computer said "pass", does not mean that it was a quality print. I constantly reprint individual prints for quality purposes even thouhg the computer accepted the print.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Now I am curious as to whether there are different types of electronic finger print machines in use. When I was electronically finger printed at my local sheriff's office the computer analyzed and compared each print to required standards of legibility before the print was accepted. As a result, the deputy had to repeat some of my prints until the computer was satisfied. If this type of system were in use everywhere I think your particular experience would be a rare occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by NavDoc View Post
    I perform finger printing for the DOD. Without getting in too deep, the computer does have a quality check before the prints can be sent. However, the level/standard of quality can be set by the adminstrator that runs the machine.
    If the quality level can be adjusted by the administrator, then it seems logical that the delays and costs of having to re-perform such a procedure could be eliminated by just setting the computer to a higher standard of quality acceptance. Perhaps I don't see the big picture, but since the government is involved I can understand the reluctance to trim costs--next year's budget might get adversely affected.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Maybe the machines are dirty or something? Some possible reason why it might be getting poor results consistently?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

It took nearly 30 minutes to get the machine to "pass" all 10 fingers. I look at the print out they provided for my record and they look OK to me but I'm no expert. Guess the FBI has a higher quality standard. The letter states this is the last set they will ask for. Does that mean I'm rejected if the second set fails?

Links