Seattle-area members: Need help applying for CCW on the weekend

This is a discussion on Seattle-area members: Need help applying for CCW on the weekend within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to Seattle tomorrow night and will be there till early monday morning. I was planning on applying for the CCW, but the PD ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seattle-area members: Need help applying for CCW on the weekend

I'm going to Seattle tomorrow night and will be there till early monday morning. I was planning on applying for the CCW, but the PD where I'm staying (Renton) doesn't fingerprint at all during the weekends.

Any Seattle-area folks know a department where I can get the application taken care, including fingerprinting? Thanks!

I don't know of any local municipality that will fingerprint on the weekends. Most are open on Fridays, but none that I know of make it convenient to get a CHL processed on Saturdays or Sundays. You could call around to some of the smaller, local PD's, but many are "contract agencies" with the county Sheriff's Dept.

Good luck!

Cities don't have to take applications from non-residents, and I'm not aware of any that will. King County requires appointments at their substations, but you can go to the King County Court in Seattle (during the week).

I know that's not the answer you want, but it's likely all you'll get.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Yeah I just called the Sheriff's dept, and the only office that takes walk-ins for livescans (no more cards, according to the lady on the phone) is in downtown Seattle. Livescans have to be done by LE in Washington State.

All other Sheriff offices go by appointment, and have even less hours. ******, I already bought my ticket, too.

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder117 View Post
    I'm going to Seattle tomorrow night and will be there till early monday morning. I was planning on applying for the CCW, but the PD where I'm staying (Renton) doesn't fingerprint at all during the weekends.

Any Seattle-area folks know a department where I can get the application taken care, including fingerprinting? Thanks!
    If you want to be able to carry in WA, you could get a UT permit and have reciprocity. You can do it through the mail.
    Does WA do any mail-in permits? Maybe a rural county since they seem to have quick turnaround times?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    Does WA do any mail-in permits? Maybe a rural county since they seem to have quick turnaround times?
    I don't believe any do. The search function is down on the Washington RCW site, so I can't find the citation I am thinking about. Here is the site for later reference:
    Revised Code of Washington (RCW)

ETA:
    There is no mention in the RCW about mail or in person: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070 . I am not aware of any department that does it by mail, though.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    If you want to be able to carry in WA, you could get a UT permit and have reciprocity. You can do it through the mail.
    Not as easy anymore. Utah requires instructors to regularly get re-certified IN STATE. Might be easier out west, but all the Florida instructors have let their Utah rating expire. Not worth the money to fly back and forth. You still need a Utah certified course, it's not just paperwork.

Until you get a permit, just open carry in Washington state.

Ooops, wrong forum, my bad.

But, open carry is legal in Washington state, you just can't have it loaded in your car without the permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Not as easy anymore. Utah requires instructors to regularly get re-certified IN STATE. Might be easier out west, but all the Florida instructors have let their Utah rating expire. Not worth the money to fly back and forth. You still need a Utah certified course, it's not just paperwork.
    Seems UT may be trying to get out of the out-of-state permit biz? Anyways Marauder I'd maybe personally contact a WA sheriff and see what can be done. It may not be a general policy for them to do out-of-state permits, but some may be willing to bend the rules.
    Otherwise try to dig up a UT instructor and do the class and get that permit!
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I was just at Cabellas in lacey yesterday, they have some decent deals on used handguns, Glock 27,26 and SW M&P compacts for just under $500.

Getting a permit is easier faster outside of King county. I know Mason, Kitsap counties take walk ins and are actually nice. The place my wife got her permit was almost apologetic that they had to but my wife through all the permit hassle My guess is most anyplace off of the I-5 corridor is pretty civilized
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

If I remember rightly, when getting my Washington permit they told me that you must apply at the city police if you live in town or the county sheriff if you live outside of one.

RCW 9.41.070
    Concealed pistol license Application Fee Renewal.

(13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:

(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;

(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; or

(c) Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Until you get a permit, just open carry in Washington state.

Ooops, wrong forum, my bad.

But, open carry is legal in Washington state, you just can't have it loaded in your car without the permit.
    be careful with open carry in washington, most of them are sheep and they freak out at the sight of a gun. been there done that. and as far as leaving it in the car is a grey area, i spoke with a couple different sheriffs and they all differ but mostly if i remember right the permit is for the weapon to be on the person and not for the glove box. some leo's don't care, but others will gripe at you.

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcharly View Post
    If I remember rightly, when getting my Washington permit they told me that you must apply at the city police if you live in town or the county sheriff if you live outside of one.
    i thought it was sheriff's only, in tacoma i had to go to the city building, and talk with a pierce county sheriff and then i moved to thurston county had to renew, went to tacoma, they sent me to thurston county court house where the sheriff hangs out. In washington you have to register/ renew in the county in which you reside.

Quote Originally Posted by polardaddy View Post
    be careful with open carry in washington, most of them are sheep and they freak out at the sight of a gun. been there done that. and as far as leaving it in the car is a grey area, i spoke with a couple different sheriffs and they all differ but mostly if i remember right the permit is for the weapon to be on the person and not for the glove box. some leo's don't care, but others will gripe at you.
    They can whine and gripe all they want. No grey area except maybe in their mind, I suspect some counties do not have an intelligence requirement. Open carry and stored out of sight is the law. What do the nim rods think you are supposed to do if you go to a gun free zone (AKA thug protection area).
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links