100% Concealed?

100% Concealed?

This is a discussion on 100% Concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first post here and I hope its not a stupid question. I am waiting on my CWP to arrive. In my readings ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 100% Concealed?

100% Concealed?

This is my first post here and I hope its not a stupid question.

I am waiting on my CWP to arrive. In my readings here I have noticed that alot is said from time to time about "make sure that your weapon is 100% concealed". Why is that? Would there not be times that you would want it known that you are carrying? Why would "printing" be a bad thing?

Again....trying to learn here so don't beat me up to bad.

Thanks,

Each state has different laws, but "printing" can be "bad" for a couple of reasons:

Legally: The states generally require "concealed", thus "printing" is not meeting the letter of the law;

Tactically: You lose advantage in situations if an opponent knows you are armed. Most folks around here are big proponents of being under the radar.

Welcome! And good questions - we're all still learning!

In some states without open carry printing or partial display of the weapon can be unlawful. I'm not sure about the law in SC.

Also, some less enlightened folks wet their pants and call 911 at the mere sight of a firearm, which can ruin your day if the responding LEO's choose to do a felony stop with guns drawn (theirs, not yours).

And lastly, from a tactical standpoint, why let any bad guys know that you're carrying and let them modify their plans to rob you? It may act as a deterrant, then again it may not.

If you are waiting on your CWP then might I suggest, telling as few people as possible. I treat it as a "need to know" kind of thing. I'm not sure about SC law but as R&G said, "You lose advantage in situations if an opponent knows you are armed. Most folks around here are big proponents of being under the radar."

The gun is for YOUR PROTECTION, not to show off or even "SCARE" someone. It is a last resort and if it clears leather it's getting fired. I admit, more people know I carry then I'd like but, I keep as low a profile about it as I can.
    -Biker

VERY good info.!
    Thanks, and keep it comming.

SC is not an open carry state so you need to conceal at all times. Printing is not wanted either, but today almost everyone carrys something on their belt, ie: cell phone, pager, knife, tool, etc. Bulges are pretty normal under a shirt. Just don't let the bulge shout "Gun!".

I really don't want anyone to know that I have a weapon. I cannot think of a time or situation (to just randomly tell) that I would have to tell anyone that I have a weapon, although some unlucky Bad Guy (BG) may suddenly become aware of that fact during the attempted commission of a crime.

There are times that I have shared my CCW desires, tips, and facts with individuals who are considering to do so, or others who I think should/could consider carrying a weapon for self-defense purposes. Doing this has actually created lots of other CCW'ers.

Printing is something that I do not want to happen...openly showing or allowing your weapon to be easily spotted would create some legal issues for a person here in FL.

Stay armed...stay concealed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Driver View Post
    This is my first post here and I hope its not a stupid question.

I am waiting on my CWP to arrive. In my readings here I have noticed that alot is said from time to time about "make sure that your weapon is 100% concealed". Why is that? Would there not be times that you would want it known that you are carrying? Why would "printing" be a bad thing?

Again....trying to learn here so don't beat me up to bad.

Thanks,
    I live in Ohio. "Printing" has no legal meaning. Open carry is legal, although you might get a hard time from a cop who's either improperly trained or a risk taker. I always carry concealed, but I'm not fanatical about it. If for some reason, my firearm is vaguely outlined or briefly exposed, I don't worry about it. I was concerned that a tucked polo shirt combined with an IWB holster might be a problem. So far it hasn't been at all. I was prepared to live with it if necessary, since I never wear shirt tails out.

You need to conform to whatever your applicable laws say.

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard 5 Driver!

Among other things already mentioned, 100% concealed for me means NOT giving away my tactical advantage!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

jfl
    Welcome aboard !!!

Florida prohibits "open carry".
    However, unintentional display is not against the law; let's say the winds blow your vest, or you bend over to pick up something on the ground and your sidearm is visible for a short time is OK.
    Pulling your vest or other concealment to exhibit your pistol is NOT OK.
    I remember going to the men's room in a restaurant where the local LEOs eat. When I came out, I didn't notice my sweatshirt had become tucked behind my Glock, fully exposing it. As I was coming out of the men's room, a couple of Deputies were entering; one of them whispered to me:"Something is showing"
    I reached frantically for my fly ... they almost fell on the floor laughing.
    Every time I'd meet them afterwards, we'd joke about it.

Keep in mind that in some states even a brief unintentional showing can be considered as "brandishing" as is a no-no.
    Learn the rules in the states you plan to stay in, and keep checking because things change.

Since you are new to this forum be aware that discussing open vs. concealed is not popular here; the subject has been beaten to death several times, here and in other forums.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Driver View Post
    I am waiting on my CWP to arrive. Why is that? Would there not be times that you would want it known that you are carrying? Why would "printing" be a bad thing?
    I am a little surprised that the subject was not covered rather fully in your concealed carry classes.

I don't know of any concealed carry state that allows unconcealed unless it is an open carry state, in which event partly concealed might be unlawful.

Back to your question: I don't know of any jurisdiction that would punish you for inadvent innocent revealing. However, by your own statement, it would not be inadvertent if you are intentionally taking loose steps to negate concealing. By doing so, you at least argubly would be portraying yourself as just another armed thug or an immature permit holder. In this regard I refer you to a thread on this group which shows the ultimate in immaturity:

7-8 Year kids Soccer Game

Have fun with the wait, it took every bit of 90 days for me....

However, to address your question. I would want to do my best to avoind printing just knowing the Rock Hill Police and thier history of tasering anyone that acts the least bit off. (the police here tasered an old lady in a nursing home once.)

Also, if you are printing to the point that it serves as a warning, then you more than likely are approaching the line of "brandishing" which is illegal in SC. I also do not want folks to know when I am carrying as it is really none of thier business. I do not subscribe to the view that if you do not carry you are a "sheep" and I can respect folks that are uncomfortable around guns in general so why would I do anything that would draw undo attention to myself.

Unfortunantly, it wasn't covered in my class. In no way am I looking to reveal that I am carrying. (when I do carry). I was just wondering the thoughts against it, which have been covered very well so far. Things that I have not thought about.

Thanks for the welcome here, and for the comments.

Administrator
    Welcome. Join right in.

Just FYI ~ Nobody will beat you up on this forum.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Bear in mind that I'm a "Glass is half-empty...who the hell stole half my stuff from my glass, you dirty rotten [Edited] kinda guy...

Group of thugs see your inadequately concealed weapon. One of the thugs has a gun and shoots you, or none has a gun, but they all jump you from behind. Free gun.

-JT
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 25th, 2008 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links