Utah in everyday use

This is a discussion on Utah in everyday use within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of those who live in Utah, would you please tell me how you see everyday practical carry? There is always a difference between ...

Thread: Utah in everyday use

Utah in everyday use

For those of those who live in Utah, would you please tell me how you see everyday practical carry? There is always a difference between the letter of the law and how the police and people implement that..

Trafficstops, printing, and for those in school, the carrying in school part..While trying to figure out the hole state thing..

What is the permit fee? For how long is the permit valid? Do Utah have Castle doctrine? And how are the shooting ranges i Salt Lake City?

How are the IPSC and IDPA environment? Many members and activity?

Thanks for all the practical info in and about Utah..

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Gun View Post
    Do Utah have Castle doctrine?
    Utah Code Section 76-2-405
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

If you are serious about wanting to carry a concealed weapon, or even to have a weapon in the home, I would ask around about who (in your area) offers a class in carrying a concealed weapon and getting the CCW permit.
    You will find that a good instructor will be able to answer all your questions about the weapon, its carry, the associated legal aspects and responsibilities, and the genreal Do's and Don'ts.
    Rather than read on-line comments, I'd prefer to have a more 'personal' interaction with a professional.

Only my opinion...of course.

Stay armed...if you understand today's world...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Utah Department of Public Safety

Too many questions to answer all, follow the link and read it, all the information is on the BCI website. If there's something you dont understand after taking the CCW class, the DC members would be more than happy to help you better understand. Like mentioned, find an instructor and take the class. Most of your questions would be answered there.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

utah

Utah has no laws restricting open carry. So if your gun prints, or your shirt blows up in the wind, no big deal legally. You don't even need a permit for open carry as long as the gun is unloaded (two mechanical actions before it goes bang, ie safety off then rack the slide)
    A few years ago, the question of ccw at a University came up and there was a big hullubaloo about it. It was decided that people with ccw permits are allowed to carry at University. They weren't willing to go so far as to allow open carry on campus, though, but i know of no arrests, just warnings.
    For traffic stops, you are required to tell the officer about your ccw status.
    I'm a student at the University of Utah and i carry my gun with me when I'm at school.
    The fee for the permit is $85 if you provide your own fingerprint card and passport quality photo, ten bucks more if you drive out to the office to have them do it.
    For a good instructor, i recommend Larry Correia. He goes through legal stuff in his class as well as different situations and the risks involved with using your gun, as well as the required safety lecture.
    check him out at larrycorreia.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by sohmdaddy View Post
    For a good instructor, i recommend Larry Correia. He goes through legal stuff in his class as well as different situations and the risks involved with using your gun, as well as the required safety lecture.
    check him out at larrycorreia.wordpress.com
    He did the Utah class I went to over in PA. Very good class, lots of useful tips.

Links