Man Charged W/Brandishing At Palin Rally

This is a discussion on Man Charged W/Brandishing At Palin Rally within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just heard this on the radio: A man has been charged w/brandishing in the parking lot of a rally for Sarah Palin in Grand Junction, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man Charged W/Brandishing At Palin Rally

Man Charged W/Brandishing At Palin Rally

Just heard this on the radio: A man has been charged w/brandishing in the parking lot of a rally for Sarah Palin in Grand Junction, CO.

The story said the guy was in his car when he was said to have 'racked' the slide.

I'm thinking that he was probably CCing legally and pulled out his gun to put away in a COM Safe or something like that, when some alarmed spotted it and got fraidy scairt.

I tried to find a link for this from the local newspaper but they don't have it yet. I will keep you posted.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

2. Remove Ads

Probably just emptying his weapon so he could get some pointers on safety and worth from Gov. Palin....we'll see!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Found A Link

Man allegedly pulls a gun after rally | PostIndependent.com

GRAND JUNCTION, Colorado — Heated words between drivers leaving Sarah Palin’s rally Monday allegedly escalated with one man brandishing a loaded handgun.

Jack B. Cheskaty, 62, of Grand Junction, said he pulled a handgun because “he wanted to be ready for anything” in what started as a verbal spat between drivers in bumper-to-bumper traffic leaving Lincoln Park around 8 p.m. Monday, according to an arrest affidavit.

Cheskaty and three family members were riding in a Chrysler, moving slowly in a line a traffic. A man behind the wheel of a Kia SUV attempted to inch in front of Cheskaty’s Chrysler, the affidavit said.

“If you want to get ahead of me you’ll have to deal with my insurance agency,” Cheskaty allegedly shouted.

The Kia’s driver reportedly replied, “I’ve got insurance too.”

The driver in the Kia alleged Cheskaty then displayed a handgun, “racked the slide” and held the weapon over the steering wheel, according to the affidavit.

A 14-year-old girl riding in the Kia noted, “Dad, he’s got a gun.”

A female was heard yelling in Cheskaty’s car, “Knock it off.”

Cheskaty’s Chrysler was later stopped by officers in the parking lot of the Grand Junction Police Department, 625 Ute Ave.

Officers retrieved a .40-caliber handgun, which had a full magazine of bullets with one round in the chamber.

He allegedly told officers he believed the Kia struck his vehicle.

Cheskaty, who has no criminal history, was booked into the Mesa County Jail on a felony menacing charge and released Tuesday after signing off on a $5,000 personal recognizance bond.

VIP Member
    Did this guy have the B (for Blockhead) carved on his face too?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Found Another Link

http://www.gjsentinel.com/hp/content...road_rage.html

By MIKE WIGGINS

Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Grand Junction man suspected of brandishing a loaded handgun following Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin’s stop in Grand Junction is a former regional director for the Internal Revenue Service.

Jack Bruce Cheskaty, 63, 1917 Broadway, is scheduled to be charged Tuesday in connection with an incident Monday in which another man alleged Cheskaty racked the slide on his gun and held it over the steering wheel of his car in the parking lot of Lincoln Park.

Cheskaty, though, told The Daily Sentinel on Thursday that he didn’t threaten anyone. Instead, he claimed he and his family were “getting assaulted by a 4,000-pound weapon.”

Cheskaty said he, his daughter-in-law, her mother and his two grandchildren were leaving Lincoln Park in his Chrysler 300 when another man, 37-year-old Kenneth Gonzales, tried to move his Kia sport-utility vehicle into the lane of traffic.

Gonzales told police Cheskaty rolled down his window and shouted, “If you want to get ahead of me, you’ll have to deal with my insurance agency.” Gonzales said he replied, “I’ve got insurance, too,” according to an arrest affidavit.

Gonzales told police Cheskaty reached down and came up with a handgun in his left hand. He said Cheskaty racked the slide and held the gun over the steering wheel. Gonzales’ 14-year-old daughter told her father that Cheskaty had a gun. A woman in Cheskaty’s car said “knock it off,” the affidavit said.

“Gonzales attempted to back up but had nowhere to go due to the traffic,” an officer wrote in the affidavit. “Gonzales was in fear for his life and the lives of his children.”

Cheskaty portrayed the incident differently. He alleged Gonzales acted aggressively and lunged his SUV toward Cheskaty’s car several times, “rubbing” the nose of the SUV against the passenger side of the car at one point.

He said he reached for his handgun, which he said was stuffed underneath his seat, and brought it up over the gear shift. He said he retrieved the gun “in case the worst thing in the world happened” and claimed he never raised it above the dashboard.

Cheskaty contended the only reason Gonzales saw the gun is because his SUV allowed him to look down into Cheskaty’s car.

Cheskaty drove to the police station on Ute Avenue, followed by Gonzales. Cheskaty said he was going to report the verbal altercation and the fact that he had retrieved the gun.

Officers removed a .40-caliber handgun, which had a full magazine and a round in the chamber. Cheskaty was arrested on suspicion of felony menacing with a deadly weapon and released from jail on a $5,000 personal recognizance bond.

Cheskaty said he worked for the IRS for 35 years, including five years as division director for the five-state Rocky Mountain Region, and retired in 2004.

“The (district attorney) needs to consider all the parameters. I would hope that after everything is considered that the charges would be dropped,” Cheskaty said.

Gonzales couldn’t be reached for comment Thursday.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    And one wonders why there are so many anti's...this is an example of hot-headedness that harms our cause in so many ways. Because it is an election year at a rally, I'm sure it will make big time news. It actually pisses me off to see such lack of responsibility.

Rick

That's why more people need to start "tailgating" at other events, not just sporting events. I don't mean 'bumper-to-bumper" tailgateing either.....I mean bring a grill, some burgers, a cooler of soda's and .....whatever else is needed to 'enjoy' some downtime while the road-raging idiots disperse.

Besides, tailgating after a Palin rally sounds like a LOT more fun than getting mad and then arrested for being a hot-head. That's just me though.......
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

It Was Road Rage

My original guess wasn't even close.

So the guy racked the slide and still had a full magazine?
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Hard to shed a tear for this IRS idiot. An other wonderful example plastered all over the news of when not to draw your weapon. B for Bone-head.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Did this guy have the B (for Blockhead) carved on his face too?
    ...or,

bantling, bletherskate, bratchet, bavian, buskin, barratry, burrole, billingsgate, bumptious, blackguard, bullyrag, blagve, bufoniform, bahadur, bromopnea, bromidrosis, bismer, bridgewater, brasero, brabble, bombaster, bodach, bozo, and butthead?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Jack B. Cheskaty, 62, of Grand Junction
    Jack Bruce Cheskaty, 63, 1917 Broadway,
    He aged quickly after a bonehead incident. Good thing they published his address.

He was a long-term employee of the IRS...who said he had any common sense?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Ya can't win'm all.

Good attention to detail!
    I guess the passengers in the SUV missed him topping off the magazine after he 'racked the slide'. Would it have been reported differently if he brandished an unloaded gun? Probably not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links