Travel through KY, TN and Arkansas

This is a discussion on Travel through KY, TN and Arkansas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 3 times a year I make a trip starting in Ohio, going to Arkansas, via KY, TN and then Arkansas. I know all 3 honor ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel through KY, TN and Arkansas

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Travel through KY, TN and Arkansas

3 times a year I make a trip starting in Ohio, going to Arkansas, via KY, TN and then Arkansas. I know all 3 honor the Ohio CHL (Which I will be obtaining in the next month). I am curious as to the laws in those 3 states. I read Handgunlaw.us but am not a lawyer and some of the things confuse me.

Basically, I only stop in KY and TN for fuel, food and rest areas, and then I stay at a Motel 6 in Arkansas, usually not leaving unless I want to go for a snack at the truck stop or head to a Cracker Barral or something. Are there any issues I would have in any of those places, open carry allowed, as I do not want to get in trouble for printing or anything. Must offiers be notified if contacted that you are armed?

ANY info that can be provided would be great.

2. Remove Ads

Well in TN you cant carry where alcohol is served, in a courtroom, on school grounds, state or national parks, and where a Valid posted sign exists.

You only have to notify a LEO upon demand if you are carrying. Open or concealed is legal.

Does TN have a requirement to post the sign at the enterence of a building? I never seen any when in TN. So if I were to talk a walk on Beale St in Memphis, I would be ok carrying, given the fact I would not go into any of the bars. The last 5 times I made the trip, I never left the motel, but I may want to experience some night life one evening, I do not drink or anything like that.

For the record, I stay in West Memphis Arkansas when I make my trips. My ex-wife and I do our visitaiton exchanges there over the summers.

Senior Moderator
    Arkansas is not an open carry state, you need to keep it concealed.

Here is a link of where you can and cant tote, it comes straight from the Arkansas State Police website.

Arkansas State Police | Regulatory Services

Technically, it is not required to tell the Police that you are armed if stopped, but its probably a good idea to do so.

If you are staying in West Memphis, you need to carry.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

If you are staying in West Memphis, you need to carry.
    I kinda gathered it was not a great place on the 5 times I have stayed there. First time I was there I seen some lady at the Pilot (the one with a Wendys) giving the deputy working over night there a hastle calling him names because he would not let her turn her tricks in the parking lot. After that, I started staying in a motel/hotel, lately its been the Motel 6 because of price. I only left the room a couple times, once to go to McDonalds and then when doing our exchanges at our place of exchange. Other than that, I tend to stay in the room.

On another note, I did make a wrong turn in Memphis once, I ended up in a BAD area that I wish I was armed, especially when you see armed people walking down the street and bars over the windows. Maybe it was just fear in me, but where I live, we dont see that.

Sorry, I got off topic for a second, I thread jacked my own thread, hope that is not to against the rules.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chipperi View Post
    Well in TN you cant carry where alcohol is served, in a courtroom, on school grounds, state or national parks, and where a Valid posted sign exists.
    Any public park is off limits.

The sign shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, premises or property and shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

PURSUANT TO 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

So where exactly do you end up when you come to our home-state of Arkansas?

I go as far as west Memphis Arkansas, usually I make my home at the motel 6 on service loop road due to it being cheap. My first visit last year I could watch the cops doing some type of bust at Americas budget inn or something like that. It sure is an interesting place for us small town folk.

My first visit last year I could watch the cops doing some type of bust at Americas budget inn or something like that. It sure is an interesting place for us small town folk.
    LOL! I guess the last time I was in a big city was St Louis in 2006. Life takes us all sorts of places, but I'm more than happy to remain 'small town folk'.

I honestly cant say my town is that small, there are about 40-50 thousand, but just the time I was there for less than 24hrs, I heard more violent type crimes on the police scanner than I here in 2 days here in my town, I felt unsafe there, so next year, I will feel much better.

Anyone have the info for KY?

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    3 times a year I make a trip starting in Ohio, going to Arkansas, via KY, TN and then Arkansas. I know all 3 honor the Ohio CHL (Which I will be obtaining in the next month). I am curious as to the laws in those 3 states. I read Handgunlaw.us but am not a lawyer and some of the things confuse me.

Basically, I only stop in KY and TN for fuel, food and rest areas, and then I stay at a Motel 6 in Arkansas, usually not leaving unless I want to go for a snack at the truck stop or head to a Cracker Barral or something. Are there any issues I would have in any of those places, open carry allowed, as I do not want to get in trouble for printing or anything. Must offiers be notified if contacted that you are armed?

ANY info that can be provided would be great.
    You are going to get a lot of good information from fellow concealed carriers. However, I would implore you to pretty much ignore every bit of it and discover FOR YOURSELF what the current laws are. You need to visit the state web sites in order to do so and for the most part they will have the information readily available. There are several good websites that will direct you there.

DO NOT DEPEND ON information from fellow CCW'ers as good as it might be. YOUR LIFE may depend on it. Perhaps not life or death. Perhaps not life in prison. Perhaps not even a felony. But... and here's the big BUT. BUT, if the state you are travelling through has laws that you ignore they will have little sympathy and little pity. If it is a felony that your permit is NOT recognized you are going to pay the price. And if you do..... well, nuff said.

I have even taken to bringing my laptop on long road trips and checking the current laws for the states I am going to travel through. And I also urge you, as a new CCWer, to ensure that the states that you THINK you are travelling through are indeed the only states that you are travelling through. There are several situations where a state may bisect an interstate highway for a few miles. You get stopped with a permit not recognized and a gun under your belt and you are going directly to jail. Do not pass go and do not collect two hundred dollars.

We carry TWO safes in the back of our van - one for our handgun(s) and the other for the loaded magazines or ammo. They were $70 at Harbour Freight, are bolted down and impress the heck out of the state police if we get stopped for any reason. In fact, we have shown our permits and advised that the guns were in one safe and the ammo in the other and they were so impressed they never even asked us to open the safes... they just said have a nice day and away we went. We always declare we are carrying whether it is law or otherwise by handing the officer our permit along with our D/L and keeping our hands on the wheel where they can be seen and the inside light in the car turned on at night. It goes far. Do NOT fumble to show the officer where your shiny .45 might happen to be tucked.

It sounds to me like you are new to this and I can appreciate that as I am still new to this. I heartily recommend to your perusal and contemplation all of the articles that you can get your hands on by old hands at CCW along with some of the better CCW books on the market. It may even save your life one day... for instance do you have a plan set up with your family with keywords?

"I smell trouble" for instance, in our family, means that the members of the family move behind me and off to the side seeking cover if possible and warns that I am about to start moving diagonally to change the mental picture a BG might have. Messes up the plan so to speak.

Question: If in a situation where you are caught off guard and a family member is taken hostage what are you going to do? Are you going to give up your gun? NEVER GIVE UP YOUR GUN. BG's don't like to leave witnesses. It is a decision only you can make... but if you haven't taken the time to look up the rules of the states that you are travelling in or through.... you are not ready to be carrying lethal force.

My friend. You need to get some good solid lethal force self defense under your belt. I have taken three courses and still don't consider myself ready. I may never consider myself truly ready. I have been disarmed at TWENTY FEET by an instructor after BEING TOLD that I was about to be disarmed... draw my weapon! He was gentle; otherwise he would have broken my fingers and probably my wrist in the process. It was over in a blink and I was unable to draw and pull the trigger in time. And as a matter of interest, we are IPSC competitors... not fast draw artists but no strangers to drawing and firing from a holster. I could not believe what I witnessed that day. Of twenty in the class pretty much every single one was disarmed either with a revolver or an automatic in hand. Amazing. If you need to ask how... you are ready to take a hands-on lethal force on force class because it is so simple you would be amazed. (Let me give you a hint... if you own a revolver what happens if you grip it so that the cylinder cannot turn?)

Sorry to blabber on. Down off my soapbox. I just don't want to see anyone get themselves into a situation where they think that gun in their pocket is going to defend them against all comers, only to find out that it will not.

The more I learn about CCWing the more I realize that I do NOT know and the more I am inclined to get educated.... it seems to be a never ending story but the more you learn the more you will become comfortable with carrying. I am far from that point. Still a novice, so to speak.

Stay safe out there. And lock it up if you are not permitted to carry it or you are not sure. And for heaven's sake, plan ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Does TN have a requirement to post the sign at the enterence of a building? I never seen any when in TN. So if I were to talk a walk on Beale St in Memphis, I would be ok carrying, given the fact I would not go into any of the bars. The last 5 times I made the trip, I never left the motel, but I may want to experience some night life one evening, I do not drink or anything like that.
    All of Beal Street is owned by the City of Memphis. As a result, it is a no carry zone. Sorry, but you need to know it.

Memphis night life is what it is. I do not partake in it but you may enjoy it. I myself, do not.
    The Memphis PD is not one of the best in the country so just be careful. One the other hand, the Shelby County Sheriffs Office is top notch. Their deputies go through good training in dealing with armed citizens and I open carry regularly out here in Arlington, which is about 20 miles East of Memphis. I have never had a single problem with a Deputy, in fact, I have several times gotten positive comments from them.

I do believe that the law says that the signs must be posted at every entrance that the public uses if an establishment is posted. Bars and restaurants that sever alcohol do not have to be posted because they are specifically spelled out in the law.

Public parks, city or state owned property as I recall is also off limits.

Open carry is 100% legal in Tennessee. Don't worry about printing.

Any other questions, just PM me and ask. I'll find an answer for you if I can.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    All of Beal Street is owned by the City of Memphis. As a result, it is a no carry zone. Sorry, but you need to know it.
    Government property has the same requirement for posting as anywhere else. Is Beale Street considered a park or public area of recreation? If so, I agree, it's a no-go. If it's not a "park" then its good-to-go.

Of course, to my knowledge, every establishment on Beale serves booze. So I'm guessing it's pretty much de facto no-go.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Government property has the same requirement for posting as anywhere else. Is Beale Street considered a park or public area of recreation? If so, I agree, it's a no-go. If it's not a "park" then its good-to-go.

Of course, to my knowledge, every establishment on Beale serves booze. So I'm guessing it's pretty much de facto no-go.
    All of Beal is considered and I believe zoned as an open air bar. And on top of that, I believe the street itself is a public park or some type.

I am not sure of the specifics but having talked to a couple of lawyers and several Memphis PD officers on this subject, I have been told by all it is a no carry zone. Thus, I do not go there.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    All of Beal is considered and I believe zoned as an open air bar. And on top of that, I believe the street itself is a public park or some type.

I am not sure of the specifics but having talked to a couple of lawyers and several Memphis PD officers on this subject, I have been told by all it is a no carry zone. Thus, I do not go there.
    That is interesting that a whole street is off limits. I need to research the laws before June which is when I will be making my first trip next year (I go once each in June, July and Aug). My route takes me direct down I 71/75 to I65 (or is it 64) in Louisville to I40 in Nashville and direct to West Memphis Arkansas (unless I can find a hotel in Memphis that is reasonable in price, which has been rough).

Saying state owned property is off limits, would that make rest areas off limits as well? Here in Ohio, they use to be, but with the latest passage of law, they made them free to carry zones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links