Which county to apply for a CCW in?

This is a discussion on Which county to apply for a CCW in? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to apply for a CCW soon. My house is in one county and I attend college in another county. School and football ...

Thread: Which county to apply for a CCW in?

Which county to apply for a CCW in?

I would like to apply for a CCW soon. My house is in one county and I attend college in another county. School and football make it very difficult to go back home and apply there so I may need to wait until Christmas break. But here's my question: Do I need to apply for a CCW in my hometown (where the address on my driver's license is in) or here in the city where my college is (because I'm temporarily residing here)? Does anyone know where I should apply or have any advice? If no one really knows the answer I suppose I could ask my coach (who is a local police officer) the next time I see him.
    Also, as a side note: is there some way or someone that I can contact to change my forum name? I forgot a "0" at the end of my name (my jersey number). I would just like to change it so no one thinks that my name means anything vulgar or not "family friendly."

2. Remove Ads

i know in washington state you need to register in the county in which you reside

Being away at college doesn't make you a resident of that city or state, any more that being on vacation makes you a resident of where you're visiting.
    Changing residences involves changing your DL, and for certain matters, a length of time is also involved. If you change your DL and claim your college town as a residence, you lose residential rights of your past home...can't be an official resident of two places. (Unless you are a member of ACORN, of course...then everything is waived.)
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; October 26th, 2008 at 06:08 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I can't help you but someone probably can if we know what state. There are at least 6 different states with a Kokomo.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Being away at college doesn't make you a resident of that city or state, any more that being on vacation makes you a resident of where you're visiting.
    Changing residences involves changing your DL, and for certain matters, a length of time is also involved. If you change your DL and claim your college town as a residence, you lose residential rights of you past home...can't be an official resident of two places. (Unless you are a member of ACORN, of course...then everything is waived.)
    That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure. I didn't see why I should wait until I go back home if I could apply for a permit here.
    By the way, I live in Indiana.

VIP Member
    IC 35-47-2-3
    Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
    Sec. 3. (a) A person desiring a license to carry a handgun shall apply:
    (1) to the chief of police or corresponding law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides;
    (2) if that municipality has no such officer, or if the applicant does not reside in a municipality, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides after the applicant has obtained an application form prescribed by the superintendent

This is what I found for Indiana permit applications. Are you going to apply for the 4 year or the lifetime? JMO. I'd go for the lifetime, cheaper in the long run, and don't have to worry about keeping track of when you need to renew. Another plus is if they tighten restrictions after November you already have it and should be grandfathered.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigD7 View Post
    That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure. I didn't see why I should wait until I go back home if I could apply for a permit here.
    By the way, I live in Indiana.
    I'd get the IN life permit...if I lived in IN......a few bucks more...good for life...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Good for life? Sheesh, we need that here.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Being away at college doesn't make you a resident of that city or state.....

In the PRC, if you can vote where you are going to college then you are a resident of that city. I know this was the case in Chico, when I was going to school there.

Links