Going to Virginia. Any suggetions?

This is a discussion on Going to Virginia. Any suggetions? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thank you everyone for your comments, they are much appreciated. Happy New Year. Grab life by the throat and take a bite! Lind...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to Virginia. Any suggetions?

Thank you everyone for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Happy New Year.

Grab life by the throat and take a bite!

Lind
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to Virginia! It's a great state to live and carry in.

Beware of restaurants that serve alcohol! You must open carry if alcohol is served on the premises, even if you're not drinking. Some restaurants ban firearms, including lawfully carried handguns, so be prepared to speak with a manager if you visit one. VCDL has a list of some anti-gun businesses to stay away from. We've been trying to overturn the restaurant ban for several years now, but it's been slow going.

Also, keep out of bars altogether whether concealed or open carrying, that is unless you work there.

As far as NOVA goes, it's a little more cosmopolitan around here than the more rural parts of Virginia. There are some people in the area who are completely dumbfounded when they see someone carrying a pistol. Be discreet and carry concealed whenever and wherever you can. It's your best bet against someone calling the police to report "a man with a gun". We have our fair share of liberal kooks and frightened grannies, so beware.

I second the suggestion to join VCDL--there are only a few thousand members, but together we've completely changed the CCW/self-defense landscape in Virginia in a matter of several years.

All in all, it's good place to live. We have it a lot better than Maryland, and not just with CCW. Welcome to the area, and enjoy!
    SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Proud member NRA, GOA, VCDL

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    grnzbra,

Welcome to the free United States. NOVA or NoVA or NoVa is area shorthand for Northern Virginia. (Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William Counties and the Cities of Alexandria and Falls Church) Some will also include Clarke, Frederick, and Faquier Counties in NoVa because of the sprawl factor. You are living in Fairfax County (NoVa), at least for now. Where you chose to live on a more permanent basis will vary the attitude towards concealed carry.

I will send you a PM on your other topic. I taught concealed carry courses in VA for many years and I can probably help you out with some info.

-Scott-
    My late mom's family is from Faquier County (Bealeton). It's where mom is now buried. I have the very last two cemetary lots in the whole cemetary (Cedar Grove), for my wife and myself in the family plot. Family has been farming the same land since1650 or thereabouts.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

The VCDL, they're a great bunch of folks.

Lawrence
    Canada

Welcome to the "Old Dominion" state. I lived in Manassas from 88 - 2000. It was a great community, but now swallowed up in the NOVA sprawl.
    I am aware of a shooting club on Quantico Marine Base. I can't remember if it is open to the public or not, I was offered to join back in 97 for (oh geeze I hope I remember correct) $10 I think. Now It might have been because I was a contractor for the FBI at that time. I'd say it will be worth looking into. (Now that I think more about it, it might bepart of the FBI training facility.) Hope this helps.
    VA is a great state, I kinda miss it a little. Developed a nasty allergy to all those tree pollens though. I'm allergy free now that I'm on the "treeless" prairie.
    Its so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him, the Sheriff said.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links