Going to Virginia. Any suggetions?

This is a discussion on Going to Virginia. Any suggetions? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in NJ, so the only time I've ever carried a gun was on the range. I've done LFI 1,2 and 3 as well ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Virginia. Any suggetions?

I live in NJ, so the only time I've ever carried a gun was on the range. I've done LFI 1,2 and 3 as well as Gabe Suarez' Interactive Gunfighting course.I have an nonresident VA CCW and start a new job down there on Tuesday (1/2/06). I will be renting a room in a private home temporarily and at the moment, have no idea of what kind of neighborhood it is or how secure the house/room will be. (The lady tells me it is a safe neighborhood, but she is trying to rent out the room)

The only carry gun I have is a full size 1911 with an IWB holster.

The job is with a company that rents office space, so it doesn't control the parking lot. I don't have a gun safe in the car, and I don't want to show up on the first day carrying.

Does anyone have any suggestions or things I should know about relative to carrying in VA? (I intend to take a VA CCW course ASAP after I'm down there)
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Congrats on moving to a free state! Check out www.packing.org - that should give you the info you're looking for.

I have. What I'm looking for is more in the line of thoughts, impressions, and things to keep in mind from real people.
    Basic Pistol

Lead Moderator
    Have you checked about just converting your non-res?

I also think they are one of the states that take a DD 214 for training if you've ever been in the military.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

The DD-214 is what I used to get the non-res. My reason for taking the course is just to have an interaction with someone who is certified to teach CCW "stuff" as it applies in Virginia. I won't be converting until my wife gets her security clearance and moves down so we can get permanent home. Until then, it's only a temporary move.
    Basic Pistol

Assistant Administrator
    I don't want to show up on the first day carrying.
    Grn - <nudge> - concealed is concealed'' ?!!

Safest place for it is on the person - and unless they have legit ban notices and metal detectors - well - <clears throat> - hmmm?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Packing In VA

Quote Originally Posted by grnzbra
    I have. What I'm looking for is more in the line of thoughts, impressions, and things to keep in mind from real people.

I assume you are going to be located in NOVA? We are very diffrent people in the Shenandoah Valley region and the same can be said about those along the coast and south western parts of the state. The local ATF field agent recently advised that we (valley folks) have the highest per captia ownership of class 3 weapons in the US which means that we really like our guns. I am LEO myself and can also say with complete confidence that LEO's in my area are for private ownership and concealed carry of weapons by a vast majority. If you don't draw attention to yourself no one really gives a dam! One of the interesting side notes is that VA allows open carry in most areas and you will see that on occassion too. So, having said that tell us where you are going to be located and we can give you more specific advise. As to vehicle/weapons security I personaly use a cable and lock to secure my weapon to the mounting point of my pickup seat when I leave my piece behind (which is very rare) and feel comfortable with that aproach.

Falls Church - Annandale
    Basic Pistol

Nova

Falls Church - Annandale

Ok, NOVA is diffrent but you will find many active shooting sports people in your area. I suggest you check with VCDL as they are good folk and stay ative in CCW topic. When you are ready to travel and explore give me a shout and we will bust some caps in the valley.

Take care,
    Adrian

I'll bite, what's NOVA?
    Basic Pistol

VIP Member
    grnzbra,

Welcome to the free United States. NOVA or NoVA or NoVa is area shorthand for Northern Virginia. (Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William Counties and the Cities of Alexandria and Falls Church) Some will also include Clarke, Frederick, and Faquier Counties in NoVa because of the sprawl factor. You are living in Fairfax County (NoVa), at least for now. Where you chose to live on a more permanent basis will vary the attitude towards concealed carry.

I will send you a PM on your other topic. I taught concealed carry courses in VA for many years and I can probably help you out with some info.

-Scott-

Thanks. We're looking at Alexandria because my wife is going to work at Bolling whenever her security clearance comes through.
    Basic Pistol

Welcome. :)

Get a membership at the NRA Range. It's the nicest indoor range around.

Regarding your wife and her clearances, there are a lot of companies around here that'll love to speak with her if she has a clearance and tech skills. Those two in combination (tech and clearance) is almost a free meal ticket.

Chris

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    As a VA resident I would say:

Depends, VA is such a large state that it really matters where you are moving to. However VCDL has been extremely vigilant in ensuring all localities follow the very liberal state laws. Most restaurants in my area are perfectly fine with the required open carry. Without a CCW you may open carry anywhere that you can CCW except a school parking lot (there you must be concealed and in your car). I have open carried on the occasions that it was entierly too humid to CCW and have had no issues here.

As I believe was said earlier (and since I grew up in NJ)...

WELCOME TO A FREE STATE
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Lead Moderator
    Thanks. We're looking at Alexandria because my wife is going to work at Bolling whenever her security clearance comes through.
    That could be an ugly commute, but is sure better than living in DC or Maryland. Years ago the Air Force at Bolling ran a boat for senior officers between Bolling and the Pentagon, just to save time.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links