Texas carry questions

This is a discussion on Texas carry questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just moved from UT to TX and have a few questions. I found the following: A CHL must receive effective notice before he is ...

Thread: Texas carry questions

Question Texas carry questions

I just moved from UT to TX and have a few questions. I found the following:

A CHL must receive effective notice before he is prohibited from carrying on private premises. Notice is an oral warning, or a card or sign carrying a specifically worded warning (defined in Penal Code section 30.06) in Spanish and English. The sign must have contrasting letters one inch high. According to PC 46.035(i) it is legal to go armed in a hospital, nursing home, amusement park, place of religious worship, or meeting of a government entity if this notice is not posted.

and have the following questions:

1.) Can I legally carry at my new place of employment here in TX if they don't have any sort of sign posted? I know they don't want any firearms there, but there is absolutely nothing in the office building or our office about it.
    2.) Can I carry at church because they also don't have any sort of signage?

I am planning on getting my TX permit but should be covered by my out of state permit in the interim. I've found conflicting info and need something a definitive. I appreciate your help.
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

2. Remove Ads

1.) Can I legally carry at my new place of employment here in TX if they don't have any sort of sign posted? I know they don't want any firearms there, but there is absolutely nothing in the office building or our office about it.
    2.) Can I carry at church because they also don't have any sort of signage?

1. If your place of employment is not posted you can "legally" carry there; i.e. you can not be convicted. However if your place of employment has a policy prohibiting the carrying of weapons or guns and they discover that you are carrying, they can fire you for cause. In fact, if they have an antigun policy and you keep your gun in your car on their parking lot, they can fire you. So you can be fired but not prosecuted.

2. The law on church carry looks confusing but really isn't. The law used to provide that you could not carry in church unless you had prior permission. However they edited the law by inserting at the end that this only applied if the church had a proper 30.06 sign. So now effectively, you can carry at any church without a 30.06 sign.

Welcome to Texas. You might want to check out TexasCHLforum.com • Index page
    It is a great forum on all things involving Texas CHLs. It is a great resource for these kinds of questions.

Cool Thank You

Thanks, Tex. I'm originally from Houston, got my permit while living out of state and got back here as quick as I could. Your answer hit the nail on the head.

LoneRanger, keep in mind that TX is a right to work state. Meaning they have the ability to can you and not have to provide justification, you're just gone.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Yep, unless you work at a place that is specifically listed as a no carry zone, you can carry there. If there is a company handbook and they have a policy stating that you can not carry a firearm, or if you are briefed on company policy you may have been given effective notice, and therefore you might be guilty of a class a misdemeanor.

As far as church goes, if there is no signage, it is ok to carry.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

When I signed my employee agreement, I agreed to abide by the handbook which states that I can't carry on company property. I realize that it could jeopardize my employment, but could it also be criminal?

It could be a class A misdemeanor depending on how it is worded in the handbook.

Look at the Texas Penal code, section 30.06, it states what the law is. I posted the section in this thread, and highlighted the applicable sections. It is post number 51.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-policy-6.html
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links