Medical disclosure! - Page 2

Medical disclosure!

This is a discussion on Medical disclosure! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That's one of the quirks of living in California. We cannot give a patients concealed pistol to a family member unless they can show us ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That's one of the quirks of living in California.

We cannot give a patients concealed pistol to a family member unless they can show us their state issued handgun safety certificate or a CCW. permit which equals the required safety certificate.

If the weapon is discovered while inside the ambulance, it goes into the narcotics lock box which is built into the side of the rig. We'll sort it out with the deputies after we clear the call.

jfl
    I had a minor motorcycle accident 2 years ago. I was trapped under the 800 lbs pound bike.
    Within 2 minutes, a female deputy was on the scene, and after helping me to wiggle out, she said casually "I think you'll need a new holster".
    I realized I was laying on my left side and she had tucked my vest under my head to make me more comfortable, fully exposing my Glock. Then a motorcycle cop arrived and I proceeded to tell them I had a CCW to which they answered "Don't worry about that".

When the EMS arrived the lady cop told me I shouldn't be taken to the hospital with my gun, it could create a hassle. She said that she could take it and give it to my wife when she arrived if that was OK with me.
    Actually, my wife arrived as I was loaded in the ambulance and received the gun from the officer.
    Then the "motorman" helped my wife park the bike and came to the hospital later to inform me that the bike was secure.

X-ray showed nothing, muscles in foot and knee were sore from the compression, 3 weeks later I was riding again.

Palm Beach County Deputies were great !!!

I don't know how the cops are where you live, Florida was one of the first states to have "shall issue" in the 80's, lots of people carry and most LEO are supportive.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard rcc413!

Every area is different, you might call your local EMS and just ask them.

Where I live, the EMT's secure your weapon and it's given to Hospital Security. I had this happen. When discharged I had to stop at the Hospital Security Office and they (with my handgun) walked with me to my vehicle and there handed me my handgun and ammo, both in seperate plactic bags. There was no problem at all.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Welcome! and don't worry about it. Even though probably most EMS folks aren't given training on it, It'll just be given to a cop or if none is around, to the hospital security.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

i have had 2 incidents with patients with firearms, one last night after reading this post. last night i arrived for a lady with an altered mental status, next to her and her husnad on the table was a springfield 1911, i mentioned it to the husband while in between him and the gun and got the reply "we live so far out i keep a couple 1911's around the house for safety, i had a permit till 5 years ago when medically i decided not to carry anymore because of safety when i pass out." because he was CCW at one time and obviously aware of the safety issue i didnt mention it again. the other was a couple years ago i worked a wreck in which i found a S&W revolver in a thugs pocket enroute to the hospital, the guy was somewhat unconscious and not the type of person i wanted having a gun. i called dispatch and told them to have PD meet us at the ER, my partner at the time was very nervous about guns so when we had to cut his pants i put the gun (unloaded) in a biohazard bag, locked it in a lockbox until PD arrived to retrieve it. turns out it was stolen.

the company i worked for before had a very hands off aproach to weapons, did not want them on company property even in your vehicle, and told me after the incident "IT SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN ON HIM IN THE AMBULANCE IN THE FIRST PLACE! YOU NEED TO CHECK FOR THINGS LIKE THIS!" i told him the last thing i am worried about on an unresponsive trauma patient is "whats in his pockets?"

the company i am at now is very small and the only person to handle these things is the owner, there are no supervisors, so its all a personal call. i asked my boss about it and he said "whatever you are comfortable with. if you can, let LEO handle it. if not, use your best judgement"
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

If/When I ever get a CCW I plan to have it laminated and a small grommet put on it so it can be worn on a chain or piece of fishing line around my neck. That way, if I'm ever unconcious the EMT's will most likely find it.

I've got a hoster mounted on the front handlebars on my Harley. Two years ago, I was in an accident where I had to be transported. Hours later in the hospital, the investigating officer asked me where the gun was...they had expended ten man-hours looking in the ditch for my gun. All they would have had to do was ask me...I wasn't carrying that day!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

For the most part EMS and LEO work pretty closely on these type of issues. They have pretty much seen it all and they don't get to worked up over it.

I would think the only issue woudl be if it was some sort of evidence in which case the LEO would bring it to the attention of the EMS then secure it.

I am both an EMT and LEO and I have found firearms at accident scenes, We secure them and give them back to the owner of a family members as soon as pratical.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

me
    My SOP states,

The gun is to be removed and turned over to LEO on scene.
    If this is unable to be done on scene - rural - we are to lock the gun in an exterior compartment and have LEO meet us at the hospital.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

me
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    If/When I ever get a CCW I plan to have it laminated and a small grommet put on it so it can be worn on a chain or piece of fishing line around my neck. That way, if I'm ever unconcious the EMT's will most likely find it.
    FYI If you are unconscious I or LEO will go into your wallet most of the time o get some info about you to relay to the receiving facility.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links