Bystanders 'makes' me, saves me trouble with drunk, police

This is a discussion on Bystanders 'makes' me, saves me trouble with drunk, police within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This weekend, I drive a friend to a club. When we get there, in my truck I take off my 1911, C-TAC, wrap it in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bystanders 'makes' me, saves me trouble with drunk, police

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar

This weekend, I drive a friend to a club. When we get there, in my truck I take off my 1911, C-TAC, wrap it in a shirt, put it in my toolbox and lock it.

A few minutes before last call, I decide to leave the club and sit and watch people in the parking lot and wait on my friend. I go to my truck, unlock the box, pull out the wrapped up pistol, get in my truck, rearm at 2:30, and tuck in my shirt over the gun. I drive a few rows over, closer to the door. Then I get out and sit on the front bumper of my truck.

Shortly, a stumbler and his girlfriend walk out and as they get to me, he starts yelling at me, telling me to get of the truck because he knows its not my truck. I calmly tell him that it is my truck. Then he claims the truck and threatens bodily harm. I begin to ignore him, but keep an eye on him, which he does not appreciate, keeps yelling obscenities, threats. His girlfriend finally coaxes him out of sight.

I keep 'situationally aware' and notice that he is coming back towards my 8:00. He notes that I am looking at him again and restarts his cussing and threatening. He gets 50 feet from me and a guy on the drunk's other side rolls down his window and nonchalantly says "He's got a weapon."

The drunk turns around, pauses, and announces that he has two weapons, lifts his shirt to expose his waistband, does a spin apparently to show that he is unarmed, then holds up his fists. He continues his approach and I stand, assume blading, defensive posture and prepare for Tomoe Nage (yes, I've successfully used it in the street against a drunk before).

He stops just out of reach of me and keeps yelling. The guy that called me out pipes up "I'm telling you, he's got a weapon." The drunk stops yelling, looks over his shoulder at the guy, sticks out his hand and says he doesn't want any trouble. Naturally, I don't trust him and I lie "Nothing personal, but I don't shake hands." He yells another obscenity, turns and walks away, not to be seen again.

The guy that told the drunk that I had a weapon seemed to have saved me the trouble of having to physically deal with this guy, risk getting hurt, cuffed, or losing/having to use my weapon. I don't know how he knew I had a gun, but for once, I'm glad somebody did.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Sounds like he was doing much the same thing you were doing, waiting fora buddy to come out. I'll also wager he was bored enough to watch you as you unlocked and retrieved your sidearm out of your toolbox......probley not too covertly......OR he reconginized what you were doing 'cause he did the same thing too?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Congrats and glad to hear it worked out for you.
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

Being "made" worked out for you. Consider this the exception to the rule.

This type of thing is EXACTLY why I do not go to bars, for any reason. Bars are where drunks congregate, and drunks are stupid, loud mouthed and always looking for trouble.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sounds like you were in condition ORANGE w/the Tomoe Nage the condition RED response. Way to stay cool.

A long time ago, when I learned that maneuver it was called a monkey rip.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    The fact that it didn't escalate is great.

I hate dealing with drunks, usually they're full of "bravery fluid" and "get insulted" easily. Putting distance between me and them I think is a good way to de-escalate also.

Of course I wasn't there but after the first encounter with him, I may have considered getting into MY truck. That way you're more out of sight, you're less vulnerable, you can easily leave. If he comes to your truck.....you've got options that he doesnt have.

It's a lot easier to explain to the police that you were peaceably sitting inside your truck and attempting to leave; rather than explain to the police about wrestling a guy in the parking lot of a bar while armed.

YMMV, and I'm not saying you did anything wrong, I'm just saying consider all available options if you have any.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post

ave.

It's a lot easier to explain to the police that you were peaceably sitting inside your truck and attempting to leave; rather than explain to the police about wrestling a guy in the parking lot of a bar while armed.

YMMV, and I'm not saying you did anything wrong, I'm just saying consider all available options if you have any.
    Yup, going out of you way to avoid/ disengage a obvious drunk would be the most prudent action. Juries tend to be more understanding if you do this too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I think thats the theory behind virginia law requiring CCW carrier to unconceile when in a facility that serves alchohal (as well as the general consensus about open carry) is that a visible firearm will deter all but the most determined bad guys.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    The fact that it didn't escalate is great.

I hate dealing with drunks, usually they're full of "bravery fluid" and "get insulted" easily. Putting distance between me and them I think is a good way to de-escalate also.

Of course I wasn't there but after the first encounter with him, I may have considered getting into MY truck. That way you're more out of sight, you're less vulnerable, you can easily leave. If he comes to your truck.....you've got options that he doesnt have.

I hate drunks.

In college, it seemed like a drunken German exchange student could somehow see me across a smoke filled room with 300 people in it and decide he wanted to pick a fight with ME.

I don't go to bars anymore, so most of my "opportunities" to interact with drunken ignoramuses have been sharply curtailed.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Being "made" worked out for you. Consider this the exception to the rule.

This type of thing is EXACTLY why I do not go to bars, for any reason. Bars are where drunks congregate, and drunks are stupid, loud mouthed and always looking for trouble.
    A wise man, you are! Not only do I not go to bars, I don't even go to that part of town! My philosophy is that if you are anywhere near where trouble might be, trouble just might find you! I don't need any more troubles than the ones I already have!
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    A wise man, you are! Not only do I not go to bars, I don't even go to that part of town! My philosophy is that if you are anywhere near where trouble might be, trouble just might find you! I don't need any more troubles than the ones I already have!
    +1!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Only problem I see with getting back in your truck is the fact if the guy had retrieved a weapon you are now at a disadvantage,You have blind spots sitting in a truck that the guy can use and be at your window before you might know it or shoot you through the back window.I would have called 911 and reported the drunk as being loud and confrontational
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I would have called 911 and reported the drunk as being loud and confrontational
    I don't tie up 911 for non emergencies. I do keep the PD and SO in my phone, but it would have just been easier to walk over and tell one of the six officers that standby in that parking lot. Heck, the head bouncer is off-duty.

That's part of the reason that I'm willing to visit this establishment. They used to have enough problems that the police started to hang out there too. While still know that there is a risk, I do trust them to deter the riffraff for the most part. Considering that I'm well behaved and sober while 'out,' I'm very much other than riffraff.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post

Amen to that!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Only problem I see with getting back in your truck is the fact if the guy had retrieved a weapon you are now at a disadvantage,You have blind spots sitting in a truck that the guy can use and be at your window before you might know it or shoot you through the back window.
    Similar blind spots exist while sitting on the bumper.

After the initial contact, whether in or out of the truck, SA comes into play = head-on-a-swivel. Personally I like having some mobile cover.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links