Defensive Carry banner

orange county calif ccw

4K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  woolybear 
#1 ·
well i just applied for my calif ccw in orange county. one of references is a retired lapd officer plus i got utah and florida, and i was in the marines. if i dont qualify then nobody can. i will keep you all posted on the outcome when i get my letter in the mail telling me denied or approved. so we shall see.

#4 ·
Like has been said, good luck! Let us know how it goes.

At least here in the PRM we know up front an application is like making a donation to the State government. Don't know which is worst, thinking you have a chance, or knowing you don't.

#5 ·
cnc_marine

Yes, Please keep us updated.
I am Super Curious to see if your particular app gets denied...or not.
This should get Very Interesting folks.

I'm keeping my virtual fingers crossed for you hoping that you get the Green Go Ahead & can legally carry.:usflag:

#8 ·
I think you'll have many folks here rooting for you - and on face of it seems you should stand a good chance but - well, let's have feedback later.

#9 ·
I'm also curious what you used as your good cause? As far as I'm concerned personal protection should be good enough, but in California you have to have a viable threat against you, documentation of such, and proof that you've excercised all other options before resorting to CCW. I also had references from several active and retired LEO's, and firearms instructors, I don't think they'll care about your other permits because they are from shall issue states who also issue to non residents. Don't mean to be negative, but that's all I am now after my California experience. I hope you get the permit, the more California permits the better.

#11 ·
my good cause was that i am an avid shooter and transport firearms and ammo two to three times a week in high crime areas supposedly thats suposed to be enough in oc and another thing oc is not full of liberals in fact i just read the other day that registerd dems are for the fist time bellow 30% oc is conservative. just santa ana is dem. any ways i should find out my outcome in a few weeks or so.

#12 ·
cnc_marine said:
my good cause was that i am an avid shooter and transport firearms and ammo two to three times a week in high crime areas supposedly thats suposed to be enough in oc and another thing oc is not full of liberals in fact i just read the other day that registerd dems are for the fist time bellow 30% oc is conservative. just santa ana is dem. any ways i should find out my outcome in a few weeks or so.
With the exception of a few very rural counties, Orange County is probably your best shot at getting approved.

Good Luck!!!

#14 ·
Our Sheriff was on the radio and said that if you live in the city and the City Police Chief denies your CCW to bring your letter to him to review. After all the city is in the county. And the Sheriff runs the county in which the city lies. Hence the CCW can be issued to the individual that resides in the city, by the local County Sheriff that is good "STATE WIDE".

Sometimes ya gota know who to talk to. Good luck.

#16 ·
OC is one of the most gun friendly areas of California, and the only "urban" county that is shall-issue for the most part. Kern county is another populated county that is very good, as are most of the rural counties. Granted, if you live in most of the urban counties, issuance is more about who you know. However the situation in California isn't nearly as bad as most people outside the state seem to think it is.

#17 ·
enlighten us non left coasters!

Are you saying you have to justify why you want to get a carry permit with a reason like my wife's ex-husband is out to get me and I have a restraint order on him, or I carry lots of money to the bank from my business? Then you have to get references from LEOs as well?

GOD BLESS TEXAS

#19 ·
You'll Get It

CNC...........If that was your "just Cause" You will get it. I have used the same just cause for the last 6 years and have never had a problem. As long as you have a clean record and nothing comes back you'll receive your letter within a week. I would recommend getting your initial 16 hour mandatory training course done with Bill Murphy over at FTA. Him and his wife are really cool people. Plus I think they provide BBQ for lunch for an additional $5.00 or so. Last thing, when you go and get your guns inspected at the OC range make sure they are clean and in good working order. I saw one guy have his guns returned and told to go and clean them. He returned after 1600 and found out they had left for the day. He had to come back the following day.
I am familar with the process and can tell you the does and dont's of when you get stopped by LE. Be up front with them by handing your DL, Proof of Insurance and CCW to them. Do not let them bereate you but don't have a attitude about it either. Some really don't care but others will often ask "why you need it". My response has always been, "It is a private matter that I do not wish not to go into. However, if there is an issue with the permit I would kindly refer you to the PSD (Professional Standards Division) at the OCSD. I appreciate you treating this matter discretly and professionally."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.