The Handgun Crush Grip.

This is a discussion on The Handgun Crush Grip. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That is the way I learned to shoot a handgun. It works for me and it's very fast regarding shot to shot recovery. It's also ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Handgun Crush Grip.

Administrator

Post The Handgun Crush Grip.

That is the way I learned to shoot a handgun.
    It works for me and it's very fast regarding shot to shot recovery.
    It's also very important to do hand and finger exercises.
    At least try the crush grip.

How To Shoot A Handgun Accurately
    By Massad Ayoob
    All credit to Mas

Read the entire Massad Ayoob article.
    It's a worthwhile read especially if you are just getting into self-defensive shooting.
    Here is the link to the full article.
    How to shoot a handgun accurately by Massad Ayoob Issue #85

Today, with more than 45 years of hand-gunning behind me (yeah, I’m old, but I started early, too) I realize that you actually can cover this topic in a fairly short article.
    The reason is found in the classic statement of Ray Chapman, the first world champion of the combat pistol. “Shooting well is simple,” Ray said, “it just isn’t easy.”

"This writer strongly recommends the “crush grip.”
    How hard do you hold the handgun?
    As hard as you can.
    It was once advised to intensify your grip until tremors set in, and then back off until they stopped.
    In the real world, under stress, there’s going to be some tremor anyway.
    Get used to it now.
    Hold the gun as tightly as you can and let it tremor."

There is some good worthwhile reading on backwoods. Spend some time looking around while you're over there.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Good post I enjoyed reading this and the attached linked article. My wife is going to to her class to obtain a CCW permit November 9, 2008. I will have her read this one.

I have a book by him called "Combat Handgunnery". It has the same instructions. After studying and practicing these techniques, my shooting improved more than any other thing that I've done..... I still suck, but I suck less than I did before..
    CW

wpk
    Quote Originally Posted by seedoubleyou View Post
    I have a book by him called "Combat Handgunnery". It has the same instructions. After studying and practicing these techniques, my shooting improved more than any other thing that I've done..... I still suck, but I suck less than I did before..
    CW

I picked up the same book awhile back, LOTS of great info in there, especially for a newer shooter like me.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Several tips in the artical I really don't agree with. Most especially, the tucked down thumb grip on a 1911.. Also, pressing the trigger from the first knuckle..
    I work to buy guns. Not really, but sometimes it feels that way..

Lead Moderator
    Good article.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I practice this technique all the time, however, it is quite difficult to master. You need 4 fingers to grip tighter than the trigger finger and then be able to control your trigger finger so you dont "jerk" the trigger. Jerking the trigger will certainly throw your front sights out of target alignment. It takes alot of practice but once mastered, it is the preferred grip technique of expert pistol shooters. I learned this technique 30 years ago from my instructor in the Navy while qualifying for my expert status. It works, it just takes lots of practice. Good reminder, thanks.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Use a spring hand grip exerciser with only your middle, ring and pinky fingers while trying to control your trigger finger in a pointing position. It really will improve your "stress" or "crush" grip a lot and it helps to get rid of the shakes.
    bosco

Massad teaches it in LFI-1. It greatly improved my grouping. However, I have a friend who has some pretty big guns hanging off his shoulders and he shoots better with a looser grip. I had him try both ways and he beats me with a looser grip (not hard to do).

Loose grip, breath control, letting the trigger break on the right time of the imaginary clock as you draw circles with your pistol and even timing you shot to your heartbeat are all great when shooting into the 10 ring. The crush comes into play when in a SD situation and your adrenaline is pumping and your thinking , center mass, double tap and weapon retention .
    bosco

I like Ayoob's articles!

Motorcycle Crush Grip

For several years now I've been using my bike to help out with my shooting grip.

I hold the throttle tightly with the last four fingers of my shooting hand on the 20 minute trip to work.

Find that I can grip the 1911 quite tightly now.

It really helps.

P.S. I just got a new Goldwing with cruise control. What am I gonna do now?

....Skye...

Get a full-face helmet so nobody recognizes you!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Hey, I just finished LFI and Mas is teaching you to stay alive in combat, not shoot targets.
    I described to my class how I shot a Asian fellow when I was trying to catch some Z's in the back of a Deuce and a Half and he crawled in carrying an RPG-2. I hit him with all 7 rounds of a Remington rand 1911.

At LFI one of our guys had taken a class from one of Mas's freinds in Maine. The fellow did a good job of the Maine accent and said "Well if yer holding a plastic pistol and yer in combat and you feel the plastic molding to yer hand ya might be holding it hard enough."
    I agree.
    This hold is very easy to learn. All of us in the class did it in one session and then over then next few days perfected it.
    We had one Asian lady who had never fired or at least not much. She had listening skills and she fired a 280 out of 300 at the end of the course.

Administrator
    For as many times as I've suggested that shooters buy a GripMaster - folks would think that I'm affiliated with the company but, I'm not.

Search Ebay for GripMaster and buy a red one to start.
    It's the best 10 bucks you'll ever spend to improve your handgun shooting and recovery time in general.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links