National Archives and Records Adminstration

This is a discussion on National Archives and Records Adminstration within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My permit expires during the last part of tax season, and there is no way that I can go to the class or anything during ...

My permit expires during the last part of tax season, and there is no way that I can go to the class or anything during that time of the year. So I am in the process of getting everything ready to go so I can finish up the paperwork before the end of they year.

Texas now offers half price renewal for veterans. So I call the county clerks office to get a copy of my DD 214 that I placed on file there back in 1987 when I got out of the Army. Well guess what they don't have it, or she didn't find it should I say. I know they have it because I have gotten a copy from them some years ago. I am glad I started this process early.

The clerk was nice enough to give me the number for the veterans affairs office in the court building. So I call him and talk to him a bit, and he confirmed that the best way to get another copy of it is to go to the NARA website and request it from them. This is a free service to veterans.

I did this yesterday and faxed them the signature, today I got an email from them saying that they process most things in 10 days. So hopefully I am good to go by the time I take my renewal class in early December.

For those of you that are looking for records and don't have much luck or don't have time to go to the court house, you might find this useful if you need to send military records in with your license info or for some other reason.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I had to go to NARA before to get a copy of mine and I had it in just over a week.
    They actually sent several copies. It was a little bit odd seeing such efficiency out of a Gov't organization.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    My permit expires during the last part of tax season, and there is no way that I can go to the class or anything during that time of the year. So I am in the process of getting everything ready to go so I can finish up the paperwork before the end of they year.

Texas now offers half price renewal for veterans. So I call the county clerks office to get a copy of my DD 214 that I placed on file there back in 1987 when I got out of the Army. Well guess what they don't have it, or she didn't find it should I say. I know they have it because I have gotten a copy from them some years ago. I am glad I started this process early.

The clerk was nice enough to give me the number for the veterans affairs office in the court building. So I call him and talk to him a bit, and he confirmed that the best way to get another copy of it is to go to the NARA website and request it from them. This is a free service to veterans.

I did this yesterday and faxed them the signature, today I got an email from them saying that they process most things in 10 days. So hopefully I am good to go by the time I take my renewal class in early December.

For those of you that are looking for records and don't have much luck or don't have time to go to the court house, you might find this useful if you need to send military records in with your license info or for some other reason.
    Question here...?
    Do you have to be a retired from the service vet, or just a vet who put in 2-4 years? Both experiences qualify for the discount?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

retsupt99,

If your asking about the half price discount for Texas, it is for any veteran who is honorably discharged the way I understand it. If your a current member of the military the fee is waived complete, as in free.

Here is a link to the fee schedule.

By the way, just how old do you think I am if I was retired from service in 1987, I have a 5 year old for pete's sake.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I misplaced my DD-214N years ago and wished I had it several times in the past. Never took the initiative to get another issued. My DD-214N contained my records of medals issued and the only record I have of qualifying as an expert with rifle and handgun. Looks easy to obtain, thanks for posting the link.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

They are all stored digitally now. All they do is type in your SSN and hit "print". Automated equipment does the rest, they don't even stuff the envelope anymore. Gotta love the digital age.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

retsupt99,

If your asking about the half price discount for Texas, it is for any veteran who is honorably discharged the way I understand it. If your a current member of the military the fee is waived complete, as in free.

Here is a link to the fee schedule.

By the way, just how old do you think I am if I was retired from service in 1987, I have a 5 year old for pete's sake.
    As a vet or a Senior...I'd get it either way...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

retsupt99,

You might check, there may be multiple discounts available, as in vet and senior might equal 1/4 the price. That is what some have said, but since I only qualify for the vet I don't know for sure.

If it is 1/4, that is darn cheap.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

If you are retired, DOD, or a DOD contractor you can access you records on-line Perscom or whatever your branch equivalent is. One needs to have an AKO log-in , or branch equivalent portal.

Every official order issued will be in there too!, Evals, ect.

https://www.hrc.army.mil/portal/Default.aspx

My permit expires during the last part of tax season, and there is no way that I can go to the class or anything during that time of the year.
    Say there, I'm glad you're up on your personal YETP! Good thinking! Good planning!

Links