Not as concealed as I thought...

This is a discussion on Not as concealed as I thought... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 5'9" and 325 pounds i'am pretty round and IWB just doesn't work for me.I carry a 3" 65-3 in a de- santis pancake holster,it hides ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not as concealed as I thought...

5'9" and 325 pounds i'am pretty
    round and IWB just doesn't work
    for me.I carry a 3" 65-3 in a de-
    santis pancake holster,it hides
    very well under a oversized t shirt.I also carry a XD-9 or a 4"
    686 in a fobus paddle holster.I
    need to use a oversized button
    up shirt to conceal these,t shirts
    don't work.

2. Remove Ads

I carry IWB a Kimber CDP II or Colt Commander in a Galco Royal Guard w/o thumb break. Tried a Galco SOB, carried well except for driving long distances. I also wear Blackie Collins Toters jeans so I can carry an extra mag in LH side pocket and an EGear 3 watt LED torch in the RH side pocket. The hidden concealment pockets in these jeans are too small to carry anything larger than a mouse gun. During cold weather I wear a long sleeve mock tee with a half sleeve windshirt. The windshirt (or fleece vest) conceals extremely well. I carry under a lightly starched cotton Hawaiian shirt (the starch helps prevent printing) over a t-shirt in the hot & humid Georgia summer.

Will be purchasing overalls soon, as I think I might be able to wear a gunbelt and holster around my waist under the overalls and have quick access to my shooter (.45, I mean). Loose fitting overalls with a t-shirt are no more uncomfortable during the summer than khakis and a polo, only much less casual. Hey the Farmer Look will fit right in here in SW GA, especially with my straw John Deere hat.
    Pershing SIR!!

I carry a Para P14/45 Limited daily in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II.
    I do not us a t-shirt as cover as this is a concealed weapon. It would take a very large t-shirt to cover the large guns I carry. 1911 and the P14.

In the summer I use a Tommys fanny pack, under a large ducktailed shirt (not tucked). Never get a second look. If it is too warm for the fanny pack the large shirt over the IWB. I also have a good belt for support.
    Keep your powder dry

If you use untucked button down shirt. I have found prints of some sort are better than dark solid colors. I carry OWB at about 4 o'clock. As far as I know no one has made me yet.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Quote Originally Posted by Otis
    Good point...there really isn't a benefit to people knowing...on the other hand, the BG's might think "don't f@#k with him, he's got a gun and knows how to use it!"
    If they are a real BAD guy(s), they wouldn't 'wonder' if you know how to use it, they will view you as their only/primary obstacle/threat and pop you first, before you even know there is a 'situation'. Eliminate the primary threat first...
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

I carry IWB only right now but will be picking up an OWB holster shortly. I live in NH where open carry is 100% legal so I'm not as paranoid as some about printing. With either the IWB or the OWB carry it won't be an issue really. I'd like to have the option depending on my mood for the day. I carry my XD9 Service religiously when I am not on duty. As soon as I get home from my shift I take it out of the safe and on my waist it goes for the day. Some days it's a PITA with it IWB but I refuse to be in a situation where I do not have it. OWB will still be as concealed as my IWB carry, it's just a question of what to wear for the day. My IWB carry is at 1:30-2:00 when I am out and about and conceals without any tell-tale printing at all with just a loose t-shirt. Around the house, I switch my position to 4:30-5:00 since it's easier and more comfortable at home.

OWB or IWB, as long as you can conceal it comfortably and get to it when you need it, do what works for ya.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar

Wink Concealed?

If it's Concealed Carry you'r after you always want you'r carry gun to be concealed. If you'r firearm is printing and you are noticed it's nolonger concealed.

This is something you just don't want to happen. You really have to take great care in the quality of you'r concealed carry equipment a poorly designed and constructed gun belt or holster will let you down.

Keep in mind the next time someone knows you'r armed it might cost you you'r life.

Just take some time to look at how you'r dressed andif you'r concealed carry gun is really well hidden.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I carry a Kahr P9 with a #3 fist kydex IWB, HOWEVER, I've never found a good way to carry my Kahr concealed in the summer. Because of my calling and job, I'm always wearing a tucked dress shirt and dress pants. Have you noticed how many of you mention untucked T shirts? Of course we can choose to change our style of dress but it sure is hard concealing in the summer. I've tried a Kydex "tuckable" IWB but since I'm slender, you can easily see the bulge along the belt line. I've tried the smart carry holster and it does work well with a KelTec .380 but for the Kahr or a S&W 637 it is uncomfortable when I sit down and looks well, not nice

If I wear a suit coat that works great to conceal and I'm going to try adding some nice sweaters over button down shirts to work in the IWB for winter carry but summer heat is hard! If I'm out fishing I use my fishing vest, or if I'm out camping I'll carry open but there is no easy way, still, I'm committed to increasing the amount of time I carry so I won't be the guy who carried 75% of time but the one time in my life I needed it, It was during the other 25% of the time!

I'd love it if the R9 or something similar ever was available at a lower cost. i could carry that in a smart carry rig and be nominally armed during those hot summer months in Missouri!

God Bless

Gideon

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyup
    I live in NH where open carry is 100% legal so I'm not as paranoid as some about printing. With either the IWB or the OWB carry it won't be an issue really.

Careful!!!

Idaho is an Open Carry state also. BUT!!! If you are carrying concealed, it still needs to remain concealed. If you're going to carry open, then carry open. I'd check with the local law enforcement or sherriff, or just look up the law on it to be sure.

In my prelims for CCW, it mentioned, that if my weapon became visible by anyone, I should expect to be contacted by the police. This being if someone freaks out and calls 9-1-1.

I'd definitely check.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Limited experience, but IWB is far more concealable. It's easier to conceal a 5" 1911 IWB than an HK P2000 OWB

Another vote for Smartcarry. Comfortable, highly concealed, don't have to dress around it, same carry manner for all four seasons...

Drawing takes some practice, but everyone here practices their draw anyway, right?
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff
    Another vote for Smartcarry. Comfortable,
    It's comfortable most of the time. If I have to bend to tie a shoe or pick up something on the floor, no. Fat or thin, the SmartCarried pistol's going to poke you in the gut. My Glock has a smooth and square rear; a 1911 would probably be worse.

Question couple more ideas...

If I had some connections for garment manufacture, I'd make these myself.

I like the Toters jeans by Blackie Collins, although I haven't tried them first-hand, I think its a very neat idea. Works as-is for casual dress, especially in any season other than hell-like summer months, even then it works with a cover garment. But it could be even better.

I too am lean, so I have very few choices that won't print. I too would like something that I can 'dress up' in, with a nice tucked shirt, I have always worn tucked shirts, even when its just jeans and t-shirts. It just looks nicer.

A modified version of the Toters could work. Drop the entrance for the pocket for the full size gun down some, where the guns grip is below the bottom of the belt. Then make a flap that could cover the grip. Don't use velcro to fasten the flap though (too noisy when you need to move fast but quiet), I'm thinking of some type of button-hook, that simply needs to be pulled down and out slightly to unhook it, then raise the flap and grab the grip in one motion. I've seen many pants that have back pockets similar to this, with a flap that covers the top of the pocket, usually with a button in each corner. They could be made with a single flap, over the right front pocket for right handers (nothing over the left pocket) or vice versa for south paws. Kind of a stylish asymmetrical look, different sized/shaped pockets on each side, nothing drastic, just fashionable. Or they could be symmetrical and match on both sides.

Now make a set that look like dockers and maybe a few other 'dress' materials that have a little thickness to them. The dress versions would probably want to make one version with multiple pockets like the jeans, for a kind of dress-casual look, then a less casual, more dress version with less pockets.

It would need to be something that would provide 'deep cover' like the Smart Carry for those who work in places that may not want you carrying, so you would want to MAKE SURE that nothing prints.

Perhaps a deep but narrow pocket on the weak side to carry an extra mag, or split it in half vertically to carry dual mags. Something that you could press against the outside of the pocket, against your leg, just under the bottom of the mag, while sliding your hand up to basically pop the mag up and out of the pocket like a popsicle.

This would give you a more versatile jean that you could wear a tucked shirt and no cover garment, plus keep the gun from falling out with vigorous movement. With some nicer materials you would also have a 'dress' solution you could wear with a shirt/tie, tucked, no coat/jacket/vest required. Would work for all seasons.

Someone tell your wife to break out the Singer and get to work!
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links