Not as concealed as I thought...

This is a discussion on Not as concealed as I thought... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had 2 clients of mine in the past week ask me if that was a gun on my hip and if it is real. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not as concealed as I thought...

I've had 2 clients of mine in the past week ask me if that was a gun on my hip and if it is real. I was never made out while carrying IWB, but switched over to OWB and when I wear just a T shirt, my gun shows depending on how I move. Neither person freaked out or anything like that, people just aren't used to seeing people armed in California. Both people asked if it was legal for me to carry. I keep going back and forth as to whether it is better to keep it concealed or not worry about people seeing it.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Your experience confirms mine. IWB is more covert and less comfortable than OWB. T-shirt works for me with a full size pistol IWB, but I quicky discovered that a subcompact OWB needs more cover.

Same here. I've been debating getting an OWB holster for my little 45 but I know I'll only be able to use it when wearing a coat or something heavy. I've carried revolvers OWB and somebody always notices. With IWB, I've never had anyone comment at all.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis
    I keep going back and forth as to whether it is better to keep it concealed or not worry about people seeing it.
    One big factor in answering that is what does you State consider branishing? The wrong people seeing it could mean troubles you hadn't dreamed of.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I carry both my 5" 1911 and my Glock 32. Although I don't use a T-shirt, I have no problem concealing with an untucked polo shirt. I am rather large (6'3", 270lbs) so I buy my polo shirts from the big and tall shops...it really wirks great.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

The whole point of carrying concealed in the first place is to have your CCW remain concealed. And, of course, concealed means concealed and it is 100% up to the carrier to do that. Here in Oregon, particularly in metro Portland, liberal folk do not look upon us gun carrying rabble with much respect or sympathy. If you get "made" you are highly likely to be turned in to the police - post-haste - and end up trying to explain yourself to an upset policeman. Upset because he really did not want to spend his time dealing with you and your stupidity.

Bottom line it is up to you, the concealed weapon carrier, to do whatever it takes to carry concealed - at all times.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Even IWB isn't good enough if you forget to lock the fitting room door at REI... <-- me
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    One big factor in answering that is what does you State consider branishing? The wrong people seeing it could mean troubles you hadn't dreamed of.
    Good point, it is legal to carry within your business, which is where I carry. Legally I am fine, I just don't want to freak out my clients. Alot of my clients know I carry and don't have a problem with it, in fact it makes them a bit more comfortable, especially when they learn that I have a good amount of firearms training and experience.

Lead Moderator
    keep it concealed. BG's knowing you have a gun only lets em get the drop on you easier. Consider a vest or loose button down shirt / with aprint on it. Or go IWB , just get pants a inch oversized in the waist.

IWB is the way I carry cause with OWB you do have to almost layer your clothing, like when Chris (P95carry) posted on how he covers his OWB holster and Sig. He use's a light possibly jean style button down or zip down cover garment. I am not willing to were a vest or extra shirt to aid in concealment with OWB. Maybe when I'm "60" I will think differently about it.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; December 31st, 2005 at 11:35 AM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    keep it concealed. BG's knowing you have a gun only lets em get the drop on you easier. Consider a vest or loose button down shirt / with aprint on it. Or go IWB , just get pants a inch oversized in the waist.
    Good point...there really isn't a benefit to people knowing...on the other hand, the BG's might think "don't f@#k with him, he's got a gun and knows how to use it!"

Administrator

Try Switching

Try switching to Oversize Double Weight Cotton Dark (Black or Deep Navy Blue) T~shirts ~ that usually works.
    What type of holster are you using?

And you'll probably need to tighten your Gun Belt up a hair more than normal.

I can put a full size SIG or 1911 OWB under a just a very dark "T" without any problems.
    You need a good carry rig & a proper gun belt though.

If you're wearing an "inner tube" AKA heavyset around the middle then sometimes it's tougher to conceal OWB under a "T"

Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek
    The whole point of carrying concealed in the first place is to have your CCW remain concealed. And, of course, concealed means concealed and it is 100% up to the carrier to do that. Here in Oregon, particularly in metro Portland, liberal folk do not look upon us gun carrying rabble with much respect or sympathy. If you get "made" you are highly likely to be turned in to the police - post-haste - and end up trying to explain yourself to an upset policeman. Upset because he really did not want to spend his time dealing with you and your stupidity.

Bottom line it is up to you, the concealed weapon carrier, to do whatever it takes to carry concealed - at all times.
    Absolutely. It's up to us to make sure that the weapon remains concealed. My smaller stature (5'8" and 140#) makes it impossible to conceal OWB, no matter what I do, it prints. So I use a SmartCarry lower ab rig and no one has ever known that I'm carrying.

This past Sept my family and I traveled to a northern state that doesn't allow concealed carry, however, I feel it would be better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 so I was packing anyway. Even my son, who knows I carry and my method of carry, had to ask if I brought my gun with and I was wearing when he asked.

For me, IWB with a pullover polo style shirt works very well...for instance I went to a movie with the bride last night. I asked her to look around while we were there to see if anyone noticed I was carrying or if I was printing. It turns out my MaxConV works very well...kudos to Gary.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Assistant Administrator
    Maybe when I'm "60" I will think differently about it.
    Touché Ti

T-Shirt can be fine but - it has to be a larger size - it must ''balloon'' enough to be able to hang over the piece and outside of it - if not loose enough then sure, it'll be almost pulling against the gun. White color is about worst - dark color better.

I know I am OWB freak - but to be honest, I carry and conceal within my concealement choices and, IMO there is always a way that will work, even OWB!

I sure don't want to suggest OWB to folks and then they find it won't work - but I am saying that with the right approach, OWB can be just fine.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links