Search policy in airports for CCWs

This is a discussion on Search policy in airports for CCWs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There has to be more to this story. Not saying it couldn't happen but... something is missing. By the way, welcome aboard!...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Search policy in airports for CCWs

VIP Member
    There has to be more to this story. Not saying it couldn't happen but... something is missing.

By the way, welcome aboard!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    Business traveler here.

After 9/11 I was stopped on EVERY FLIGHT, including connection, and given extra security. Wands, bag checks, shoes, pockets, etc. I have even, on vacation, checked a handgun! Not once though was I ever taken anywhere and stripped.

Sorry, this smells fishy. There must be something deeper at play or someone made up a story for attention.

+1 I agree.

To the OP.
    I spent 5 or 6 days a week in an airport terminal from 2003 to 2008 and knew nearly all of the TSA folks by their first name. I know of no situation in which someone was stripped. The only time I've heard of something similar is when a woman had two large stainless steel piercings in her nipples. She set off the detectors and of course the wand. She was REQUESTED to lift her shirt (after she was taken aside)and she complied. Maybe your friend has some body jewelry that he hasn't told you about?
    Last edited by atctimmy; October 30th, 2008 at 10:09 PM.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I'll have to ask him about anything else that may have happened. He is not, to my knowledge, a hothead, so I can't imagine that he provoked the encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd W View Post
    I have had the same experience in the past, that is, being allowed to look for forgotten items and being wanded after repeated attempts (forgot I had steel toe boots on in the days before they made you take your shoes off - 1995), but that is not how it went with my friend. It is interesting to me how one says five lbs of steel (more than many handguns) in his body will not set off a metal detector and one says a gum wrapper can do it. Which is it do you think?
    Well I do have titanium screws and pins so that may be why. Of course my T.E.N.S. unit has yet to set off a detector either.

Here is a study you and others here may wish to read sometime...it is applicable.

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/ortho/t...01-2007%5D.pdf
    Rule of Honor

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd W View Post
    I have had the same experience in the past, that is, being allowed to look for forgotten items and being wanded after repeated attempts (forgot I had steel toe boots on in the days before they made you take your shoes off - 1995), but that is not how it went with my friend. It is interesting to me how one says five lbs of steel (more than many handguns) in his body will not set off a metal detector and one says a gum wrapper can do it. Which is it do you think?

They don't ask you to take your shoes off just so you can walk barefoot. The metal shanks in the shoes will set off the alarm and of course, you remember the shoe bomber.

One must remember, not all detectors are created equal. There exists the capability to change the intensity level. 5lbs of metal...or hard plastic? I know someone with a pace maker that sets the alarm off. I personally have set the alarm off, then take a gum wrapper out, then pass through cleanly.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What airport was this?
    Tucson, Phoenix, Pittsburg, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, Chicago, OkC, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, LAX (stop over), and Denver. (those are recent flights made with a small bic lighter- I smoke- and the T.E.N.S. unit and implants in my back lol)
    Rule of Honor

I am trying to ask him now by IM but I can't reach him at the moment. When I know, I will relate it to the thread.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I flew several times a month for the last three years. Never an issue. I've seen before where a guy is running late for his flight so he was running which got him all sweaty and flushed which in turn got him extra inspection at the security checkpoint.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Strange story. Why would anyone submit to a strip search unless they have been arrested and are in a detention facility. If it did happen as described, and he was told of the pending search, he should have refused and DEMANDED to see a police officer ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I agree with this...more than likely it had nothing to do with CCW. As for strip searched...I do not believe this happened. If you set off the alarm (and a piece of a gum rapper can do this...along with shoes, belts, neck chains etc), you get a second chance to go through. If you set it off a second time, then they will wand you (public or private, depending on your request). If they find something during the wand, they will ask you to remove it, which may require removing clothing. Lastly, if he was strip searched...was a LEO present? I do not believe the TSA has this authority (but will defer to a TSA type here).

Rick
    I know the foil in a pack of Camels will set off the detectors at either Charlotte or Atlanta (I'm pretty sure it was Atlanta), and the detector can tell the screener where it is on your person (low, mid, high). As for the rest of the questioning, the screeners will only know as much as you tell them.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    The metal coin clasp in my wallet once set off an airport metal detector when I forgot to remove it. I got wanded.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

1. They can't DEMAND a strip search. You can always elect not to fly. Calling the police means nothing since it is a consensual search in order to fly.

2. The sensitivity of the machines will vary. I remember sitting just inside security having coffee with a coworker at RI watching people pass through the three operating machines. The one closest to us had at least 3x as many stops as the other two. I have had items (belt buckle) set off one machine but not another.

3. Shanks in shoes set them off. Of course I went and bought metal detector safe shoes years ago to speed things up, no metal shank. It worked for two weeks and then Mr. Shoe Bomber showed up and all shoes were then required to be X-Rayed to see if anything was stored in them. (Now I always travel with shoes with no laces to speed things along.)

4. Ti should not set off the machines. Its has a negligible reaction to a magnetic field (one reason it is implanted). The Russians built entire subs out of it and our MAD gear had was pretty ineffective if the thing had been recently degaussed (off topic but cool!).

5. The body piercing item is something I had not thought of and can completely explain this.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    1. They can't DEMAND a strip search. You can always elect not to fly. Calling the police means nothing since it is a consensual search in order to fly.
    At the airport near me (Reagan National), there are about a million signs outside security that say "Once you have entered the security screening, you must complete the process." The information video on the TV also tells you this. If you have a right to refuse anything, they certainly don't want you to know about it.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Your friend may have got the “dot Sticker” from hell

If the counter agent “flagged” your friend for what ever reason, that could have been the start of the problem. As for the coin detection, seems to be not entirely related to the full search.

A fellow business friend and two other were at the airport late at night. There were no lines so my friend went under a few switchback ropes while we went back and forth though the ropes like good cattle.
    A delta employee approached my friend that went under a few ropes and politely ask for his ticket he look at it then put a colored dot sticker on it. Then he left with a big smile. When we got to the security check he was taken to a nearby screening area and was searched and made to wait for 20min and same thing happen on the return trip.
    Did your friend get a nice colored dot sticker at the counter put on his ticket?

Because if you have the wrong colored sticker on your ticket – My friend learned its time to pull it off ASAP.
    Last edited by Logan5; October 30th, 2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: adding a line

I have had my earrings set off a detector in Miami, I removed them and went through clean. My ex works TSA there (luckily not the gate I go to) and she has never done a strip search, but they have happened while she was there.
    80% of the time is when a person gets wanded and refuses to show the item being detected. She said having an attitude while going through the checkpoint can cause problems for you. At MIA, you HAVE to complete the security process. Trying to leave in the middle is a huge red flag and LEOs will be called.
    I went to Newark to fly home and had a snap-on wrench in my pocket...the machine didn't catch it. It was only a 1/4 wrench so it was small...and it is usually attached to my keychain but came off.

IMO, the ticket agent might have seen his CCW and flagged him. And/ Or he copped an attitude while going through security
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links