Search policy in airports for CCWs - Page 3

Search policy in airports for CCWs

This is a discussion on Search policy in airports for CCWs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by athos76 Or he copped an attitude while going through security As if real terrorists will be easily identifiable by their attitude. Hah! ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Search policy in airports for CCWs

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
    Or he copped an attitude while going through security
    As if real terrorists will be easily identifiable by their attitude. Hah! They would be the most compliant person in line!
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I set off metal detectors every time I go through them, regardless of what I have. Once I flew in running shorts and two tee shirts. All I carried/wore was my wallet, phone, watch, ink stick, and dog tag. I put all, along with my shoes, that in the tray. I still got buzzed and wanded. Then only time I haven't been wanded after I went through a metal detector was at a courthouse and the deputy literally didn't care. I still don't know why I set them off.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I'm with the rest, something else was at play here. My CCW is right next to my license, so if I indiscreetly dig out my license, you could easily see my CCW. Maybe that's what happened. As others said, a ticket or TSA agent just does a visual check of your ID, they don't run it through any systems that would reveal your CCW status.

I agree that a single coin shouldn't set off most detectors, at least not the airport and courthouse detectors I usually go through. When I flew to NYC from Atlanta a couple months ago, coming back through LaGuardia I forgot to remove my watch -- it's a Seiko divers watch, a big heavy hunk of stainless steel with a thick stainless band. I realized just as I was walking through and thought "oops!" but it didn't set it off. In NYC of all places, one would think their sensitivity would be cranked up to 11. I've also walked through with a pocketful of keys and not set them off.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I have spent more time then i care to admit in airports. Strip search sounds fishy.

I accidentally let my driver's license expire in 2004 and took 3 flights on it before anyone noticed. On the 4th flight (in Chattanooga, TN of all places) the gate agent noticed. They let me continue, but he must have tagged me as someone without valid id...or? When i went through the security checkpoint, they looked at my boarding pass, pulled me to a secondary room, wanded me, and searched my carry-on luggage by hand. Took maybe 5 min. No big deal.

When you purchase your ticket, the airlines must compare your name to the federal no-fly list. I assume they have the ability to tag you for extra screening or prevent you from flying. It is possible the passenger in the original post is on the list or has a name similar to someone on the list. TSA was talking about adding birthday's to the no-fly list to help reduce the false hits by people with similar names.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    As if real terrorists will be easily identifiable by their attitude. Hah! They would be the most compliant person in line!
    Portland International (PDX) in 2002 or early 2003. As stated earlier I would get pulled at every single gate and checkpoint back then so I was ready when they waved me over from the boarding line for added security. By the time the girl turned around I had already placed my satchel on the table with all zippers open, taken my shoes off and assumed the standard "wand me" position. She commented that I must have been through this before to which I mentioned I was used to it. Mind you, I was always pleasant and polite to these people. for two reasons:

1. They are just doing a job.
    2. Some of them have egos inflated by their shiny pot metal badge and would love nothing better than to make the life of any person who questions them miserable (certainly not all of them are like this or even most but there are enough to be wary of...).

At the end when she said I could pack back up she thanked me for being so pleasant about the whole thing. I responded that it was no problem and she was just doing her job. At that point she said the single dumbest thing I have ever heard from an airport security person:

"We try too pick people who look like they will be good natured about it."

I was dumbfounded and from the look that crossed her face about one second after she said it she realized what a stupid statement she had made. I responded with the one and only "smart mouthed" response I have ever given to an airport security person:

"Then we better hope none of the terrorists who come through here are in a good mood."

She stood there with her jaw agape as I turned and boarded my flight. She may have been polite but the bottom line is her and her department were stupid. God forbid they "profile" for the very specific group responsible for crashing planes into the towers near my home but then to base their selection on people who "looked good natured"... That was incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Thats true but someone that may have contraband next to that gum wrapper may not want to empty that pocket or be patted down...
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    big deal.

When you purchase your ticket, the airlines must compare your name to the federal no-fly list. I assume they have the ability to tag you for extra screening or prevent you from flying. It is possible the passenger in the original post is on the list or has a name similar to someone on the list. TSA was talking about adding birthday's to the no-fly list to help reduce the false hits by people with similar names.
    They can select you randomly for additional screening, this happened with a group of mine coming back out of Raleigh NC. This was the only time I was ever wanded- and for the record I still got my lighter through- Basically we got pulled to the side, (5 of us) and they patted us down and than wanded us- no stripping no problems, and I have a CCW in Az, as well as (at the time) 3 different IDs.

He had to have done something or is just making the story up...

Hey, matches dont cut it when you want a smoke.
    Rule of Honor

I got searched in Las Vegas

I just had surgery and had 18 staples in my middle area. I did not make past the machine. it went off and then wanded. I had to take my shirt off and had my pants unzipped and opened. I think he had the squelch turned up to much. They kept wanding me and checking for over 10 minutes. No problem in KC airport though.

steve

Is/was your friend's name Mohammed Atta?
    I have been through lots of airports...belts and coins have never set off machines.

More to the story?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Todd W View Post
    While this is crazy enough, he then told me that they did it again when he arrived at his destination and twice more on his return flight. Anyone other than me think this is outrageous? Illegal?
    Why would they search you on your ARRIVAL at your destination? This doesn't sound right.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Another doubter, here.

"Once you have entered the security screening, you must complete the process."

Correct. Or else all you'd have to do is set off the alarm, make a fuss, and walk away to try smuggling weapons and/or contraband through screening some other time.
    God, country, family.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    Why would they search you on your ARRIVAL at your destination? This doesn't sound right.
    +1 That part of the story is definitely untrue!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Story sounds questionable to me, but that is not what I want to comment on.

Earlier someone mentioned a friend with a pacemaker going through the magnetometer. Doing so is generally not a good idea, nor should someone with a pacemaker allow themselves to be wanded.

The pacemaker company and your doc will have issued you a card to be shown to TSA officials. They will then (or should then) take you aside to and do a physical pat.
    No clothes need be removed.

I once had a really nasty temper loss at a TSA agent who ignored the card and attempted to wand my wife anyway.

I received a nice personal apology from the agent.

By and large they seem to handle folks with pacemakers in an entirely appropriate and considerate manner; but slip ups happen. If you wear one, do not allow anything that generates a magnetic field near the pacemaker.

There are some interesting things to be avoided: large speakers with heavy magnets; small gasoline engines because of the induction coil for ignition.

The rivet on my jeans pocket set off the metal detector last time i went thru
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think your friend is full of it; a coin will not set off a metal detector. Who did he present his D/L too? If it was ticket counter people, they have no access to BMV records or LEADS. It is to simply match the name given n the ticket to the person standing in front of them.

Also, if it did happen, your friend had to of consented to such a search because flying is voluntary.
    I was going to say nearly exactly the same thing that SIXTO said. One coin will not set off a metal detector.

I think your buddy is pulling your leg there guy.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links