Search policy in airports for CCWs

This is a discussion on Search policy in airports for CCWs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 10 inch steel rod in my left tibia. It's been there since 1982. Prior to the post-9/11 heightened security theater , I ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Search policy in airports for CCWs

I have a 10 inch steel rod in my left tibia. It's been there since 1982. Prior to the post-9/11 heightened security theater, I never set off the metal detectors at airports, anywhere, and I traveled for a living so I've been to many. Since the heightened security theater, I ALWAYS set them off. I now allow enough time for extra screening anytime I have to fly somewhere, which, thankfully, isn't very often.

A few times in the past I gave the screener some serious 'tude, but I was NEVER asked to remove any clothing. The closest I ever experienced was being asked to unbuckle my belt so they could wand it. My biggest beef with the screeners these days is their fake super polite demeanor and strict adherence to the script, even when they know I've been through the procedure many time before.

Now I just smile and engage in cheery small talk. It sometimes makes things go a little quicker.
    Rob - The Erstwhile Vermont Fat Ba*d

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Earlier someone mentioned a friend with a pacemaker going through the magnetometer. Doing so is generally not a good idea, nor should someone with a pacemaker allow themselves to be wanded.

While it is your prerogative the machines (newer than 1970's-80's) will not disrupt a pacemaker. However, the hesitancy is understood. I have a T.E.N.S. unit (which is controlled via external signals from my handy dandy remote- far more "sensitive to external stimuli" than many pacemakers, and I have yet to get a tingle walking through.
    As a backup my friend (who is now regional sales manager for the company that supplies many airports X-Ray/ metal detector machines as well as other high profile events) states they actually test the newer machines on these devices trying to set them off, it doesnt happen any more.

For the record they are looking at installing (and are testing in several places) a new style machine that actually X-Rays you as you walk up the concourse. It is installed in the walls and you do not know it is there, however, they are able to monitor you this way.
    Rule of Honor

I wonder if he flew that airline before and checked a weapon? Maybe they had that on record?

There is a new x-ray machine being installed in MIA that just penetrates the clothing (and shows detail)
    The operator is in another area and cannot see the person.
    They also have the Sniffer...it puffs air at you and tests it for drugs and explosives. Kind of freaky the first time when 60 jets of air hit ya...
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

VIP Member

Pacemakers/ follow manufacturer's recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by gunnClan View Post
    While it is your prerogative the machines (newer than 1970's-80's) will not disrupt a pacemaker.
    Nonetheless, follow the instructions in the little booklet issued by the manufacturer. There is a reason they issue the cards to be shown to TSA Agents.

Last week we visited the Clinton Library at Little Rock. Though clearly not TSA screening, to enter one needed to go through the magnetometer. My wife simply told the guard she had a pacemaker and he told her to walk around the gizmo. Poor security, they didn 't call a female guard (or maybe didn't have one) to check her, but there was no problem.

Oh, and by the way, my wife's is only 2 years old and so the instructions are up to date--certainly not left overs from the 1980s.

Anyway, back to the original post. I don't even know where they could attempt a strip search at the airport we usually start our trips from. But they do have a nicely curtained area and offer the option to be patted down with the curtains drawn or not, as you like.

I've lots of gripes about TSA, but not on this issue. This one, I think they mostly get right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Nonetheless, follow the instructions in the little booklet issued by the manufacturer. There is a reason they issue the cards to be shown to TSA Agents.

Last week we visited the Clinton Library at Little Rock. Though clearly not TSA screening, to enter one needed to go through the magnetometer. My wife simply told the guard she had a pacemaker and he told her to walk around the gizmo. Poor security, they didn 't call a female guard (or maybe didn't have one) to check her, but there was no problem.

Oh, and by the way, my wife's is only 2 years old and so the instructions are up to date--certainly not left overs from the 1980s.

Anyway, back to the original post. I don't even know where they could attempt a strip search at the airport we usually start our trips from. But they do have a nicely curtained area and offer the option to be patted down with the curtains drawn or not, as you like.

I've lots of gripes about TSA, but not on this issue. This one, I think they mostly get right.
    Sure, they also say that a cigarette can cause fires at the gas pump.
    And it has been proved that it doesnt, in fact you can take a lit cigarette and douse it in gasoline. (no fire)

Simply put, be safe- if this enables you to feel safer than do it. However, I am at greater risk driving than walking through a modern metal detector with a pacemaker. The fact is that the risk is next to nothing.
    In fact microwaves, fast food joints (due to cooking methods), many restaurants, and bars all employ similar technology in different aspects. I assume you have never had a problem in these locations?

And as previously mentioned do what makes you feel safe. I prefer to rely on statistics and actual data, versus FDA reactions. (it is an FDA warning based on incidents and testing that happened many years ago)
    The warning clearly states "may" not will, and this is only if there is even the smallest (per FDA guidelines) possible chance.

Btw Tylenol "may" (read the instructions) cause liver damage etc.
    The idea I am attempting to clarify is that while these warnings exist, in all fairness there is no real need for them.

And lastly, the pacemaker being that new means that is it is far better shielded than some military hardware.
    Rule of Honor

My experience

Well, I made it through security all the way to Atlanta and back without a problem worse than having to throw away my toothpaste. The only paste or liquid bigger than 3oz you can carry on now is eye solution. I didn't take any chances though, I made sure I had on clean underwear.

There is a new x-ray machine being installed in MIA that just penetrates the clothing (and shows detail)

Adult movie audition

I use my FL permit as ID when checking in at the counter, going through security and at the gate. On a number of trips in various airports I have never had a problem of any kind, except for one person who asked why my permit was from FL if I lived in NJ. I just said that FL had a more rational permitting system and, since it was government issued ID, it didn't matter which state issued it for purposes of airport security. They were fine with that.
    Last edited by gmark340; November 26th, 2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: type

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links