Search policy in airports for CCWs

This is a discussion on Search policy in airports for CCWs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A CCW friend of mine recently told me a story about having been subjected to strip searches while flying to another state. When he presented ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

A CCW friend of mine recently told me a story about having been subjected to strip searches while flying to another state. When he presented his license it showed that he had the CCW of course. He declared that he was not carrying. However, when he went through the metal detector he inadvertantly left a coin in his pocket and set off the detector warning. He said they took him aside to a room and told him to strip to his underwear for a search. While this is crazy enough, he then told me that they did it again when he arrived at his destination and twice more on his return flight. Anyone other than me think this is outrageous? Illegal?

Administrator
    I think your friend is full of it; a coin will not set off a metal detector. Who did he present his D/L too? If it was ticket counter people, they have no access to BMV records or LEADS. It is to simply match the name given n the ticket to the person standing in front of them.

Also, if it did happen, your friend had to of consented to such a search because flying is voluntary.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Welcome to the forum!

Forgive my ignorance, but I didn't know that CCW status is reflected on the OH driver's license. If it's not, then there's no way a screener could possibly know about your friends status simply by using his DL to confirm that his boarding pass was actually issued to him......

As a road-warrior level business traveler, I'm skeptical here too.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

First, I don't appreciate the comment about my friend being full of it. He is a person of the highest quality. If he said it happened that way, it happened that way. Second, I am not sure how it goes at the airport, but when a LEO ran my DL an alarm went off on his computer. It could be that the system in use at the airport does the same thing.

I Doubt It

I am with SIXTO on this one.......As a very very frequent airline passenger, I call BS! Heck this would have made Fox News if it were true!

By the way, my friend did not volunteer the information about having a CCW, the agent asked him about it after he gave her his DL. Also, at that point, if he wanted to go on his vacation, he had to fly.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd W View Post
    First, I don't appreciate the comment about my friend being full of it. He is a person of the highest quality. If he said it happened that way, it happened that way. Second, I am not sure how it goes at the airport, but when a LEO ran my DL an alarm went off on his computer. It could be that the system in use at the airport does the same thing.
    It is what it is...

Ohio has attached CCW information to your BMV record, and it only shows when a BMV query is requested through LEADS. That function is available to LE only, and a ticket agent is not LE.

If it did happen, it has nothing to do with your friends CCW status. Perhaps the agent saw his CCW card when he got his D/L out of his wallet?

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum from a fellow buckeye.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If that is the case, how can the ticket agent knowing he had a CCW be explained? Thanks for the welcome.

Thumbs down

An alarm went off? You mean you had a ticket or something of that nature?

There is no way the airport metal detector went off from one coin (having sat in during adjustments and worked with the person/company that supplies 95% of the metal detectors to airports nationwide) that will not happen. The average person with metal implants ( I myself have over 5 lbs of metal in my back) will never set it off- I never have.

Secondly it sounds like your friend is relating a common myth regarding airports and tagging his/ her name to it. Does your friend also have someone from a mirror chasing them?

Lastly given that airport security (TSA) is ran by the same people nation wide, they do not run your drivers record- and unless he showed them that he is a CCW holder (which most likely is the case) they would never have known. The "lists" they use are not attached to driving record.

Of course I dont travel as much as many people, and have never worked in security, and do not teach in these fields so I have no idea what I am talking about... lol
    Rule of Honor

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ... If it did happen, it has nothing to do with your friends CCW status.
    I agree with this...more than likely it had nothing to do with CCW. As for strip searched...I do not believe this happened. If you set off the alarm (and a piece of a gum rapper can do this...along with shoes, belts, neck chains etc), you get a second chance to go through. If you set it off a second time, then they will wand you (public or private, depending on your request). If they find something during the wand, they will ask you to remove it, which may require removing clothing. Lastly, if he was strip searched...was a LEO present? I do not believe the TSA has this authority (but will defer to a TSA type here).

Rick

Administrator
    If that is the case, how can the ticket agent knowing he had a CCW be explained? Thanks for the welcome.

If it did happen, it has nothing to do with your friends CCW status. Perhaps the agent saw his CCW card when he got his D/L out of his wallet?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Good point...a quick addition, small metal objects like lighters (the mini bics) single coins, almost never set off the detectors.
    Rule of Honor

Administrator
    What airport was this?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Business traveler here.

After 9/11 I was stopped on EVERY FLIGHT, including connection, and given extra security. Wands, bag checks, shoes, pockets, etc. I have even, on vacation, checked a handgun! Not once though was I ever taken anywhere and stripped.

Sorry, this smells fishy. There must be something deeper at play or someone made up a story for attention.

I have had the same experience in the past, that is, being allowed to look for forgotten items and being wanded after repeated attempts (forgot I had steel toe boots on in the days before they made you take your shoes off - 1995), but that is not how it went with my friend. It is interesting to me how one says five lbs of steel (more than many handguns) in his body will not set off a metal detector and one says a gum wrapper can do it. Which is it do you think?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links