Heightened Awareness?

Heightened Awareness?

This is a discussion on Heightened Awareness? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am pretty new to concealed carry. I'm finding that I pay more attention to everything now that I carry. I seem to be more ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heightened Awareness?

Heightened Awareness?

I am pretty new to concealed carry. I'm finding that I pay more attention to everything now that I carry. I seem to be more conscious of my driving habits, things like that. Seems to me that if this is a side effect of CC, it's a good thing. Is this common? It makes sense to me, but it's not something I expected.

Don't worry. It'll go away...it did for me anyway.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Small suggestion, when you realize (and you eventually may) that you are not paying as close attention, stop, and start being more aware again.

It is the simple things you can change about your day to day habits that will save you the grief involved with a shooting (defensive or not), taking different routes to and from work, the store etc.
    Sitting, standing, etc where you can visually monitor exits, entrances.
    When walking, running, biking, hiking, be aware of everyone and everything around you. There is nothing wrong with being hypersensitive to your surroundings. Unfortunately it is normally the people who are not aware of their surroundings that end up in nasty situations. (or if you are military or a LEO- )

Seriously though, nothing wrong with being aware, and I hope you remain that way!
    Rule of Honor

Not a thing wrong with that. I "profile" everyone I come in contact with. When we're on the highway, I can ALWAYS tell you the plate number of every car 10 ahead of me that have passed or I've been close enough to read. When walking into a store, I scan everyone I can to see who is armed and who isn't. Once you've carried for a while, you'll see others who before would have seemed to just have a strange gate who now you know are armed. Its never 100% because of those who carry light or have a secondary container. But, I don't think anyone carrying a medium frame to large frame pistol hide it very well.

In the end, this is nothing but good. If a car anywhere near me does something they shouldn't, they're not going to get away with it. If someone in the store or place I'm at starts trouble with thier sidearm, they won't get far.

I know for me, one thing that I'm less aware of is where I'm at. I use to fear passing one area in Indianapolis because of the high murder/robbery/rape rate there. Now I notice the people, but I'm less concerned with the danger. Something about having a large handgun in your passenger seat helps.

Yes, this happened with me too. It has been over a year and no change yet. I think it is a good thing.

I was always situationally aware, but not in the same way.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders! Keep up the good work and remember that hypersensitive to your surroundings will save your butt long before your sidearm will!

Be safe and watch your 6!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by mp45fan View Post
    Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders! Keep up the good work and remember that hypersensitive to your surroundings will save your butt long before your sidearm will!

Be safe and watch your 6!
    I agree with MP45fan. I saw someone post on here that if you know you are going to a gun fight, don't go. The goal for any of us is to avoid any situation that can do us harm. The gun is just another tool in our survival toolbox that I believe should only be used when all else fails.

I like to think that I have been "situationally aware" for a long time. I have never been in a situation where I felt the need to use a weapon, or at least wished I had one, and I think a good part of that is situational awareness. I am just surprised at the way my senses have stepped up, so to speak.

The universe favors the well prepared....

Thaks for the input, folks.

""Small suggestion, when you realize (and you eventually may) that you are not paying as close attention, stop, and start being more aware again. ""

+1
    bosco

Most poeple who legally carry a sidearm are less confrontational. It is not worth the aggrivation of getting into a confrontation especially if you are armed and may need to use your weapon.

It is like when I started training in the martial arts over 21 years ago. Once I reached a certain skill level, I would do my best to avoid confrontation. Why would I want to get into an fight with someone that I more than likely can cause a lot of harm to?

This is being a responsible armed adult. Thugs with guns look for trouble so that they can "cap" somebody. That is the difference.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Increased situational awareness is one of the best, yet least publicized, side effects of being a concealed weapon carrier. I also try to practice being a "grey man."
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by randy7601 View Post
    Increased situational awareness is one of the best, yet least publicized, side effects of being a concealed weapon carrier. I also try to practice being a "grey man."
    Grey man.. I like that.

The same thing happened to me. I thought at first I was being paranoid, but then I figured out it was a good thing. I hope I never lose it.

Stay aware.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

It is definitely a good side effect to CC. You now have the means to take a life but that of course is the last thing on earth you want to do. As a result you are more aware of your surroundings, (Situational Awareness), so that you can adjust in time to avoid a conflict, (Avoidance Techniques). Sounds like you had some good training to instill these things in your subconscious.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

jfl
    As other posters said it IS a good thing; the novelty part will wear out but if you train properly (and I don't mean range or academy) about most of the thing you do it will become part of you and you won't even notice it.
    When I go in a Wal-mart, theater, etc. something in me makes a survey of the possible escape routes in case of fire, shooting, panic, etc. It is not a conscious thinking anymore, it is automatic.
    When we go to a restaurant, my wife knows I'll sit in a way I can observe the entrance.
    There is nothing wrong in developing your SA (situational awareness), quite the contrary.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links