Any skiers here?

This is a discussion on Any skiers here? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got into downhill skiing last year and I loved it. Got all my own equipment now and am anxiously awaiting the first big snow ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any skiers here?

Question Any skiers here?

I got into downhill skiing last year and I loved it. Got all my own equipment now and am anxiously awaiting the first big snow so I can bust out my shiny new sticks. Buuuuuut...I have been thinking about how to carry while doing so, and I'm not coming up with any ideas that seem too great about how to do so. I'm not too worried about someone shooting up a ski resort, but as everyone knows...crime/assaults can happen anywhere.

Does anyone carry while they ski? How do you pull it off? Only thing I could come up with is pocket carry, but when I'm skiing I have bulky gloves and all my pockets are zipped closed so I don't lose anything out of them when I fall (I do fall). As for IWB/OWB, I usually just wear a pair of longjohns or sweatpants under my snowpants. Anything else is too bulky and annoying. I'd love to hear if anyone knows any ideas on how to pull this off.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Can you reasonably get to something IWB in your jacket? I know when I hunt, I've got too much on to get a gun out from my waistband.

I'd imagine your jacket has a pocket big enough for a 1911 or at least a J-frame. Stick it in there and zip it up.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Yeah, I figure I'm stuck pocket carrying based on what I wear. I've become very enamored with the Kahr PM9 based on all the great reviews here and on other sites, but I haven't been able to get one in my hand. None of the ranges around here offer one to rent and I haven't found a shop here with one in stock that I could hold. Anyone with a PM9 around the Akron area that would want to let me borrow it for a range trip? Ammo's on me!
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Just don't take your coat off in the challet
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    James Bond carried shoulder rig whenever he skied.

I'd just try to carry somewhere you're not going to fall on a lot. I carry right hip when I snowboard. Usually IWB even though I could get away with OWB...just don't want to risk losing it at all and I feel more secure with it IWB.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

might have to get a fanny pack
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

....possibly a radio chest pack like the ski patrol guys wear? they might fit a pistol in somwhere and you wouldn't look out of place? it might work?
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

I would say pocket carry would be your best bet to insure you don't lose it, if you take tumble and also to avoid having it get you tangled up in the chair lift. I have a back pack do that once I can see the grip on an iwb gun on your hip possibly getting wedged in the back rest of the chair lift under your clothing. Doubt you'll need quick access on the slope, but in the parking lot ,that could another story.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I guess I wouldnt expect to need my firearm while skiing. Do you really think you'll need it swishing down a hill at 30 mph?

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Gave up skiing years ago...moved to FL 8 years ago and now bought a new truck and just plow snow...

If I were still on the 'slopes'? Yes, I would still carry...most definitely!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Can you guys bring in your gun if they serve alcohol ?

AZ you can't

I've heard some ski resorts don'l allow concealed carry. so if you fall and nock yourself out. they might not be happy when they are checking for broken bones and find a firearm on you.. just a thought... I still carry though, because my friend was robbed in the parking lot and beat up real bad.
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA left because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Snowplow Johnny Here.

Primary is inaccessable under all the crap I wear, so's the BUG.
    My "other" BUG goes in my Jacket Pocket just for the Parking Lot. I figure I can ski to cover if I need my primary on the slopes.

In the chalet, amid the "bunnies" The "primary" stays hidden.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post

AZ you can't
    Several states allow carrying in restaurants or other places where alcohol is served as long as at least half of their revenue comes from non-alcohol sales.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post

AZ you can't

The one I usually go to the alcohol is served in a separate closed off place from where you walk through and put your gear in the lockers. You have to go up some stairs and through some double doors, so I figure it's pretty safe for the rest of the area. The big resort I like to go to is in PA though and I don't have my non-resident there yet, so no carry in PA for me for awhile. I'm going to Florida in two weeks to visit my grandfather, I figure I'll stop by the local sheriff's office and pick up my non-resident app for there while I'm at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links