Scant cover

This is a discussion on Scant cover within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Cover meaning garment. I ''made'' a guy this evening, shucks, first in quite a while. Haha - score one to me LOL! Bonnie and I ...

Thread: Scant cover

Assistant Administrator

Scant cover

Cover meaning garment. I ''made'' a guy this evening, shucks, first in quite a while. Haha - score one to me LOL!

Bonnie and I stopped on way back from shopping to indulge in some excellent chinese food. Diagonally opposite about 15 feet away was a guy sitting across from his girl friend/wife. He was approx early 30's and a tad large.

He was using the unbuttoned shirt method as I do but - this was a light weight shirt, at least one size too small - and so some luxury real estate up front was tending to make it flair to the sides.

He was carrying about 2.30 so really a bit too far forward and when he raised his right arm the shirt moved to reveal part of the piece - enough for me to see it was a Glock.!

I guess he has carried some time because he was not aware at all - certainly was past the ''adjust every 2 minutes'' phase!!. I then spent a fun few minutes trying to very discretely catch his eye - without seeming to stare. Probably took a good five minutes so didn't say too much for his efficiency of con' yellow - too wrapped up in his woman (safety warning there!). All but white actually.

At last he caught me looking at which point I did like we do if a guy's zipper is down - avert eyes to area of interest a coupla times and tap finger on side of nose. It worked.

He very subtly adjusted his seating position to make a temporary fix and probably with no one else seeing it - gave me a thumbs up!

Hardly worth writing up really but I did simply because it was darned funny, plus I guess, one CCW helps another. As we left I looked over again - he nodded with a smile.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Some people dont seem to notice how they carry some do.

Good thing ya pointed it out to him and he finally figured it out

Some people can conceal good other cant

Administrator

Thumbs up Good Thread Chris

A small slice of real life.
    I'm guessing that you were probably the only one in the place that noticed while he was sitting.
    It could have gone worse if he stood up though.

I always took some personal pride in my ability to properly conceal. It's sort of an Art Form. And like all Art it's better if Well Done!

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I always took some personal pride in my ability to properly conceal. It's sort of an Art Form. And like all Art it's better if Well Done!
    +1. Well said QK.

I, like a couple of others here, have carried CCW since the 1970's. That was long before the states started adopting CCW laws for "shall issue". The holsters made for CCW were far and few between. You had to make do with what was made for law enforcement and what was made was created mostly for snubnose revolvers. Carrying concealed well was an art and a very difficult one.

With todays assortment of holsters there is no excuse not to be able to conceal any weapon you choose (including the new .500) and never print.

I was able to carry then and now with no one ever having seen my CCW. It has never been exposed unless I wanted it to be. I'm proud of that.

(added) OOPS! I forgot about my faux pas.
    It was accidently exposed once, in front of about 20 FBI agents and Las Vegas Metro PD. My 1911 fell out of my shoulder holster during a law enforcement seminar I was attending and hit the carpeted floor in the Luxor Hotel with a nice thump.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    (added) OOPS! I forgot about my faux pas.
    It was accidently exposed once, in front of about 20 FBI agents and Las Vegas Metro PD. My 1911 fell out of my shoulder holster during a law enforcement seminar I was attending and hit the carpeted floor in the Luxor Hotel with a nice thump.
    I could swear I read about your "oops" over on the SIG forum a year or so ago.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Lead Moderator
    I try to take care so my gun never shows either. Only time I have to be extra careful is on windy days ,so my cover garment doesn't blow open. I ahve made a few folks , but probably not a many as are carrying around here.

This is why I am IWB! don't want to take the chance cause Missouri is pretty freaky about keeping concealed. QK hit it on the head with "it's sort of an art form" to carry any style/way that you choose. But I think the point that Chris is touching on is we as CCW's need to help one another out when we see another in need and doesn't even know it. Your probably right that no one else even noticed yet but a fellow CCW'er like Chris had him pegged even before the gun was even showing and the everyday average person hasn't a clue about it and the problem with that is that same average uneducated CCW or just plan anti person could cause a real problem possibly freaking out about it.

Good job,

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    I could swear I read about your "oops" over on the SIG forum a year or so ago.
    I don't know about the SIG forum, but here is where I originally posted the incident here.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...light=faux+pas
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    I don't know about the SIG forum, but here is where I originally posted the incident here.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...light=faux+pas
    Guess that was it! Ain't old age memory great??
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    At last he caught me looking at which point I did like we do if a guy's zipper is down - avert eyes to area of interest a coupla times and tap finger on side of nose.
    Man! I must have been absent from school that day. I think I'd have picked up on the eye thing, but I never heard of the nose signal.

Good point about being distracted by the fairer sex. I'm sure many of us have slipped into "condition purple" on occasion.

Links