Carrying to a job interview...

This is a discussion on Carrying to a job interview... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, its that time in my life again... I need a job. I've been out of work for a couple months due to A) my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying to a job interview...

Carrying to a job interview...

Well, its that time in my life again... I need a job.

I've been out of work for a couple months due to A) my prev employer going bankrupt and B) having shoulder surgery and multiple complications.

So I started dropping resumes around South Florida. This week I've had 6 interviews at my local airport. 2 at the same company with 2 separate people for separate positions. Well, out of habit, I carried. Great thing about CCW, is... noone should know you have it...and noone did.
    But when I got home, my neighbor (LEO and constant firearms chat buddy) saw me all dressed up and asked how the interviews went. I told him, and he asked if I carried... I said "Of course" then thought about it.

What would you guys do? Besides going to a business that doesn't allow firearms inside (which I would then lock it up), would you carry into an interview?
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

2. Remove Ads

If I could carry legally to the interview, then yes, I would carry. It's none of their business.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

JD
    Administrator
    There was a thread on this a while back.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-carrying.html

I carry where legal.

In this case, it would be just my luck that the disgruntled former employee whom I am to replace will come in shooting while I'm there applying for his job.

Most definitely I would carry. Want to feel at ease and comfortable during the interview. Only way that's happening if I'm armed. Good luck with your job search, hope you land one soon because it's only going to get harder.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Well, I haven't received a definite yes yet... but one of the shops I used to work next to is hiring... I stopped in to say hi and drop off a resume... the owner knows me well and what I'm capable of doing...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck! I know how hard job hunting is in FL right now. I'm currently employed, but desperately seeking another opportunity.

The last interview I went to, I carried. If it's legal for me to carry there, I'll be carrying. Even in the (self-censored) shirt and tie, my Crossbreed Supertuck concealed well and comfortably. The tie was more uncomfortable than the Supertuck would ever be.

Again, good luck.

-JT

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    When I interviewed with the Border Patrol, I had my 1911 on, but at the last minute decided to leave it in the trunk. During the orientation, one of the agents mentioned hoping there were no other firearms other than theirs. The rebel in me wished that I had carried. There was another guy, a security guard and bounty hunter, that did carry - or so he told me.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that was the only time I've not carried when I legally could have since I got my permission slip.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by athos76 View Post

What would you guys do? ... would you carry into an interview?
    Well, after a recent event in the Charlotte area that hit a little too close to home...

gentleman went in to get an application for employment, and while talking to the person at the counter/desk, a masked man walked in and gunned them both down. Dead right there. The robber took something and fled. As far as I know, he has not been caught, nor identified.

All the guy wanted to do is get a job to support his family.

Would I carry??

YES!

Good luck with you job "hunting".

I feel I may in the same position soon myself.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Depends on where you were in the "airport".

(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or ... inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, .... or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I would pocket carry if legal where the interview is held...that's just me.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    That would be one of the times that I used pocket carry. I frequently carry my Glock 26 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, without any problem. I wouldn't carry my XD 45 service in my Max con V IWB holster to an interview, too much of a risk of being discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    Depends on where you were in the "airport".

(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or ... inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, .... or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
    General Aviation Airport...no passenger terminals. A few of the other mechanics I know have either a pistol or shotgun in their toolboxes at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
    General Aviation Airport...no passenger terminals. A few of the other mechanics I know have either a pistol or shotgun in their toolboxes at all times.
    Then rock on, concealed is concealed.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Welllll...I'd do a search and you will find multiple answers to your question on the very same subject. Bottomline...it depends.

Rick

VIP Member
    Being a personal decision all I would say is don't forget to count the cost. Sometimes in these hard economic times, one risk can outweigh the other.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links