Me and the Media - Page 2

Me and the Media

This is a discussion on Me and the Media within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I don't personally agree with the timing of the ad, in my mind it does exploit what happened, I don't see where the press ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VIP Member
    While I don't personally agree with the timing of the ad, in my mind it does exploit what happened, I don't see where the press is coming from. It's kind of like the pot calling the kettle black. After all, THEY have been exploiting it to sale newspapers and magazines since the moment it happened.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Ok, I just swear that I read that John Peters was the inventor of said product. At least that's what Fox News said when you appeared in an interview with E.D. Hill.

The ad was in poor taste. I see your point but the timing was very bad. I've made similar mistakes, it's just part of life. It looks as if the backlash is disproportionate but that's not a huge surprise. Issuing an apology was a smart move. Just give it some time to blow over and press on.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Quote Originally Posted by pete156 View Post
    Ok, I just swear that I read that John Peters was the inventor of said product. At least that's what Fox News said when you appeared in an interview with E.D. Hill.
    I wish. I corrected her on the program and said we bought the patient.

DC Founder
    I don't think John is the first person, by any means that has been impressed with a product and purchased the distribution rights, or the company. While it may be a risky thing to use current events as advertising opportunity, this, too, is done all the time. These responses don't surprise me because it has afforded them the opportunity to slap someone that has a gun-related business. It does, however, disturb me that people here are taking the opportunity. We're all in this together if you haven't noticed....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by ajphusker1 View Post
    Please excuse the spelling. I meant patent.

Since E.D. Hill, I have interviewed with several newspapers. Not one has written an article about us. We do this one thing, (and to be sure it was not the dumbest thisng I have done in my life) we get splashed all over the news.

Is it my imagination, or do they only print negative articles are guns and self protection.

I apologize.

I don't have sound on this computer and was just reading the text said under your person on the newscast.

Anyhow, I think it's a really good idea, obviously for home without children or at least with a trigger lock.

I still stand by my original opinion that the ad was poorly timed and shouldn't have referenced such a tragedy, but the reaction from the media is above and beyond what is called for. As far as they're concerned you are just another hateful, idiot gun owner trying to make a dime.

Just put out a press release telling them to stick it up their butts.

Is it my imagination, or do they only print negative articles are guns and self protection.
    Unfortunately it's not just in your head.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    AJP - it's pretty much 99% biased against guns and gun ownership. It is what it is. Yeah, you made a mistake. I'm impressed you bought the company - good luck with it! Stick around! Recent negative comments by some notwithstanding, this is the best Forum on the web!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    AJP - it's pretty much 99% biased against guns and gun ownership. It is what it is. Yeah, you made a mistake. I'm impressed you bought the company - good luck with it! Stick around! Recent negative comments by some notwithstanding, this is the best Forum on the web!
    Thanks for the support

With this, I do not have to be on the emotional roller coaster of the stock market.

Good night all. Going Bowling.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by pete156 View Post
    Just put out a press release telling them to stick it up their butts.
    I do agree with that 100%.

As I look over some of the links that you referenced, I wouldn't worry about the rants on their websites. None of them appear to be in a position to hold much sway with the public. Your product should, obviously, target gun owners, and gun owners will see the benefits to your product. You posted an apology and I would not respond to any more of the slaps from the ninnies. Just let them rant and rave and do your advertising for you. Nothing increases sales like a good controversy....
    Bumper

If the family members had died in a fire on the second floor of their home, and his company was selling fire escape ladders instead of shotgun racks, would his press release still be considered in poor taste?

Well, yes, in my opinion.

EdC
    "If the family members had died in a fire on the second floor of their home, and his company was selling fire escape ladders instead of shotgun racks, would his press release still be considered in poor taste?"

Absolutely yes, it would be considered bad taste, and probably would've drawn a lot of the same criticism, without the "gun nut" prejudice, of course, and probably not so disproportionate and personal.

Looks like you're doing what you can, with issuing the apology and explanation. John, you made a foolish decision (who hasn't done that?) and you're stepping up, taking the heat, and offering a decent apology and explanation. You seem like an ok guy to me, for what that's worth.

DC Founder
    It's funny, though, we do it here all of the time. A story is related where someone could have probably been saved had they had a gun available, but because someone offers a solution to a specific product, it's considered in poor taste. It's on the edge, I admit, but not that big of a deal....

I do, though, understand the points being made, and this particular product probably wouldn't have saved their lives since I believe they were killed near the front door, but ya never know. But to improve access to a shotgun during the night in case of a home invasion, I think it holds promise. It would sure as heck be better than where I have mine now, locked in the gun safe....
    Bumper

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links