Me and the Media

This is a discussion on Me and the Media within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by EdC "If the family members had died in a fire on the second floor of their home, and his company was selling ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Me and the Media

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    "If the family members had died in a fire on the second floor of their home, and his company was selling fire escape ladders instead of shotgun racks, would his press release still be considered in poor taste?"

Absolutely yes, it would be considered bad taste, and probably would've drawn a lot of the same criticism, without the "gun nut" prejudice, of course, and probably not so disproportionate and personal.
    +1
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

2. Remove Ads

Who was it that said "Any Press is good Press!"

It just could attract some the right attention in purchases. You never know...

So ironic and sad, as if the media outlets that maligned you don't make money off the misfortunes of others.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    There are ambulances chasers all the time advertising...very little difference. I believe the gun population needs to get thicker skin...

Rick

This isn't an issue of gun grabber vs gun holder. This is an ethics issue. If I'd not read this post from top to bottom, I would have went with my original thought of how sleezy a comment like that is. I understand the purpose, but I'm sure their family didn't. While they're mourning the loss of family, you're peddling something you're selling.

It would be like you dying of aids and me trying to sell super rubbers using you as an example within a couple of hours. Could a super rubber have protected you from getting the aids? Sure, it could have. Do I think your family would want to hear that? Probably not.

Even your page still has a "sell me something" feel to it even still. No offense, because you do seem like a good guy but I think you should make an appology that isn't confrontational on your website addressing this and soon. To me, the fact that you own a website yet you come here and other places to explain seems as though you're trying to drive new sales. The press release was kinda funny in a sad way.

the highlight....

Chicago, IL (MMD Newswire) October 28, 2008 -- Tragedy strikes in a Chicago home leaving 3 people dead and an Oscar winner forced to identify the bodies of her family.

Jennifer Hudson's mother and brother were gunned down in their home Friday. Could an invaluable device have saved their lives? It's called The BackUp and it is a bedside shotgun rack.
    and then you went to the carnie type sales deal. Like a late night infomertial...

But now there is a solution.
    Like Billy Mays trying to sell off an orange peeler.

I would suggest revising your website, appologizing and laying low for a few days.

Lastly, your own website says "This product is not intended for use in homes with children." and you're suggesting this could have saved three people... in a home with children.

I'm sorry, but this seems like a huge sales pitch in really poor taste and timing. Now that I think about it, it would be like you dying of cancer and me trying to sell you super rubbers. Thats just my opinion though.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I think I heard a radio advertisement for this product on the radio today.

There were no untoward references in the spot (30 seconds, I think) but I wasn't paying much attention. The beginning of the ad was very similar to a local guns shop's ad and was surprised that it wasn't.

Good luck with your business. (Just don't make over $250K/year)

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Who was it that said "Any Press is good Press!"

It just could attract some the right attention in purchases. You never know...
    +1

I agree and that’s the way I would take it, because I really don’t care what our main stream national media thinks.

But, it did bring attention to your product

Was using the issue in good taste or bad? I guess it all comes down to how you feel about it.

My question is this - Will the same people in these blogs and such rise up in admonishment when this same case is brought up to push legislation for gun control?? Doubt it. The next question I think should be asked is if this case can be used to push legislation for gun control that is *suppose* to keep these things from happening again and keep everyone safe at home from these *crazy people with guns* than WHY can it not be used to promote a product that essentially has the same impact??

Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I think I heard a radio advertisement for this product on the radio today.

There were no untoward references in the spot (30 seconds, I think) but I wasn't paying much attention. The beginning of the ad was very similar to a local guns shop's ad and was surprised that it wasn't.

Good luck with your business. (Just don't make over $250K/year)
    We do not do radio advertising. Have only sold a few wholesale. If I make over $250k a year I will gladly/reluctantly pay the taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by ImChad View Post
    This isn't an issue of gun grabber vs gun holder. This is an ethics issue. If I'd not read this post from top to bottom, I would have went with my original thought of how sleezy a comment like that is. I understand the purpose, but I'm sure their family didn't. While they're mourning the loss of family, you're peddling something you're selling.

It would be like you dying of aids and me trying to sell super rubbers using you as an example within a couple of hours. Could a super rubber have protected you from getting the aids? Sure, it could have. Do I think your family would want to hear that? Probably not.

Even your page still has a "sell me something" feel to it even still. No offense, because you do seem like a good guy but I think you should make an appology that isn't confrontational on your website addressing this and soon. To me, the fact that you own a website yet you come here and other places to explain seems as though you're trying to drive new sales. The press release was kinda funny in a sad way.

the highlight....

and then you went to the carnie type sales deal. Like a late night infomertial...

Like Billy Mays trying to sell off an orange peeler.

I would suggest revising your website, appologizing and laying low for a few days.

Lastly, your own website says "This product is not intended for use in homes with children." and you're suggesting this could have saved three people... in a home with children.

I'm sorry, but this seems like a huge sales pitch in really poor taste and timing. Now that I think about it, it would be like you dying of cancer and me trying to sell you super rubbers. Thats just my opinion though.
    On the same page that admonished us for the release there was a link to crime seen photos.

Yes, I would like to sell some more units. I believe in our product and I think it would be an asset to people who use shotguns for home defense. So far it has dampened sales. Hits are up.

When the release was written and sent out, the child was not killed, only missing. This document was vetted by 3 Press Release distributors over a couple of days. Details were sketchy. I regret that we used a name and should have been more general.

If the issue of Home Defense is brought to the for because of our mistake, possibly this can be a positive.

I have always been a proponent of proper Home Safety using whatever means that you are comfortable with. I would like to add a safety lock to sell with our unit. I would like to add a remote switch that would light the area away from the bed so you are in the dark the the intruder in the light. There are other things I have talked about but not able to do yet.

I believe if you are good with a handgun, use it. Have proper lighting and locks around the house. I have 2 yip yip dogs and a larger dog in my house. I know if anyone is close.

By they way, thanks for letting me, vent, talk and get things off of my chest.

John

As much as I hate the left-wing liberal media...

Your original advertisement was in poor taste, and in my opinion, bad judgement.

If you made the decision to run the ad, shame on you. If someone else in your organization came up with the idea, they shoud be gone, now.

From what I have read and seen from the media, it didn't look like the victims were lying in bed in the middle of the night. I don't know what difference your product would have made if the victims were in the living area (away from the bed) when the killer(s) entered the house. It seems to me that your product is geared toward the sleeping homeowner that has immediate access to a shotgun when a middle-of-the-night home invasion or burgarly occurs.

You have a great product. And from an old salesman's point of view, the penalty close works pretty good. But not at the misfortune of a family that has suffered a tragic loss like the celebrity you targeted.

The fact that Chicago is pretty close in leading the country in homicides would have been a better, albeit still questionable, marketing idea.

It was in bad taste, not just because it was gun related. The same uproar occured after Princess Diana's death when a Volvo dealership in (I believe) Australia ran an ad saying that if she had been riding in a Volvo instead of a Mercedes, she might still be alive.

It was tacky then, and it's tacky now, to exploit the death of others for commercial gain. That's the difference when we discuss on this board how a story might have ended differently had the victims been in possesion of a firearm. Nobody involved in the discussion stands to gain financially from discussing the loss of life.
    Rob - The Erstwhile Vermont Fat Ba*d

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    As much as I hate the left-wing liberal media...

Your original advertisement was in poor taste, and in my opinion, bad judgement.

If you made the decision to run the ad, shame on you. If someone else in your organization came up with the idea, they shoud be gone, now.

From what I have read and seen from the media, it didn't look like the victims were lying in bed in the middle of the night. I don't know what difference your product would have made if the victims were in the living area (away from the bed) when the killer(s) entered the house. It seems to me that your product is geared toward the sleeping homeowner that has immediate access to a shotgun when a middle-of-the-night home invasion or burgarly occurs.

You have a great product. And from an old salesman's point of view, the penalty close works pretty good. But not at the misfortune of a family that has suffered a tragic loss like the celebrity you targeted.

The fact that Chicago is pretty close in leading the country in homicides would have been a better, albeit still questionable, marketing idea.
    As the President of the company, I take full responsibility of what comes out of the company. Good or bad, Right or Wrong. Even though this should not have gone out, I could of stopped it and didn't. This was a mistake that I will be paying for, for a long time.

I would like something good come out of this discussion. We need to put light the issue without mentioning our product or product. Any thing I say will seem (and probably be) self serving. We will be discussing our statements with our investors on Monday. Some things that come out may be good, and some probably bad.

The point remains, we could not get any press until it was negative. We have sent numerous releases about home safety, including non-armed responses/safety precautions and have you seen any of them?

There are still numerous home invasions without adequate protection.

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ajphusker1 View Post

Forum Rule #4.
    As a family-friendly forum, we ask that you keep your language clean, exactly as we hope you would when addressing respected elders. Creative workarounds (the use of special characters to replace some letters) on language are not allowed. Violators of this rule will be warned once; those repeatedly breaking this rule will have their accounts permanently revoked. NOTE: Links to off site material will be held to our family-friendly standard, as well.
    Sorry, I was quoting radio, TV, Internet and print on the 1st reference. The second was from You-Tube and personal email. I will edit more carefully in the future.

John

I am A. John Peters, the scumbug President that released the press release in question. There or 3 things that could of happened to have this release come out.

1. I helped create the release
    2. I knew about the release and let it go out
    3. I did not know about the release

On the first 2, I am completely culpable. On the third one, I am a bad manager. In any of the three, I consider it my mistake.

As the President of the company, I take full responsibility of what comes out of the company. Good or bad, Right or Wrong. Even though this should not have gone out, I could of stopped it and didn't. This was a mistake that I will be paying for, for a long time.

I would like something good come out of this discussion. We need to put light the issue without mentioning our product or product. Any thing I say will seem (and probably be) self serving. We will be discussing our statements with our investors on Monday. Some things that come out may be good, and some probably bad.

The point remains, we could not get any press until it was negative. We have sent numerous releases about home safety, including non-armed responses/safety precautions and have you seen any of them? This press release was blasted all over the world and got more exposure than even the TV appearances that I have. Each one of the articles I saw, had advertising on them. I guess we are not the only people “trying to make money on tragedy”.

Some other points. On the same page that was decrying our tastelessness, there was a link to the crime scene photos. I also saw pictures of the house surrounded with “journalists” 5 deep. Each one of the articles I saw, had advertising on them. I guess we are not the only people “trying to make money on tragedy”.

I believe everyone needs to have some form of home protection. This includes but not limited to

* Adequate Lighting
    * Safe Windows, Doors and Locks
    * A warning system such as alarms or dogs to let you know something is happening
    * A way to illuminate intruders while keeping you in the dark.
    * Training on how to protect you and your family

Also, as the 2nd Amendment guarantees, a firearm that you are trained in using in case of a life threating situation.

There are still numerous home invasions without adequate protection. I am proposing that our company find ways to promote home safety with our mentioning our product.

I am not asking for approval of our past actions, but understanding that we went further than we needed to. I would also like your ideas on how to promote home safety with directly tying it to our product.

Thanks,
    John

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links