Defensive Carry banner

Me and the Media

6K views 50 replies 26 participants last post by  GWRedDragon 
#1 ·
Hi,I am A John Peters from Home BackUp Protection, makers of The-BackUp shotgun rack. We sent out a press release a few days ago about the recent home invasions. Since then I have been skewered by the press and have been getting a lot of hate mail.

The point we were trying to make was that people need adequate home protection. I have been personally attacked as:
a gun nut
a self serving grease ball trying to make a quick buck
a militant radical
a (edited out) crazy American
and more.

One newspaper said the A in my name stood for (edited out by QKShooter)
I do not feel we sensationalized the recent sad killing any more than TV and radio including MSNBC, CNN the Chicago Tribune and LA Times. What if "the Joe the Plumber" type of person was killed in a home invasion? Would there be lines of newscasters around his house?

The point we were trying to make, and may have failed, was that it is important to protect yourself and have some form of home protection. I feel the media is personally attacking me and avoiding discussing our 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms. By attacking me, they do not have to discuss the real issues.

Thanks for letting get this off of my chest.

John

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forum Rule #4.
As a family-friendly forum, we ask that you keep your language clean, exactly as we hope you would when addressing respected elders. Creative workarounds (the use of special characters to replace some letters) on language are not allowed. Violators of this rule will be warned once; those repeatedly breaking this rule will have their accounts permanently revoked. NOTE: Links to off site material will be held to our family-friendly standard, as well.

See less See more
#2 ·
If a newspaper actually said that about your name I think you may have a lawsuit against them, or was this just comments made in their "Opinion" section by citizens?

#4 ·
Just for reference, here is what got the company all the bad press:

Text of press release: Could a bedside shotgun rack have saved jennifer hudson's family from tragic death?

Chicago, IL (MMD Newswire) October 28, 2008 -- Tragedy strikes in a Chicago home leaving 3 people dead and an Oscar winner forced to identify the bodies of her family.

Jennifer Hudson's mother and brother were gunned down in their home Friday. Could an invaluable device have saved their lives? It's called The BackUp and it is a bedside shotgun rack.

Everyday, there are over 8,000 home invasions in America, many resulting in assault, rape, and murder. That's according to a report by the US Department of Justice.

Whether it is someone known or a stranger entering the home, too many people in this country are paying with their lives during these home invasions. The Hudson family is just one of far too many Americans gunned down in their own home.

What can be done? Law enforcement and the government aren't solving the problem. So law-abiding citizens are now forced to take their safety, security, and life into their own hands.

Shotguns are often weapons of choice at home because of their deterrent effect on assailants, their close-range stopping power, their affordability and their reduced risk of injury to innocent others from stray shot. But the problem is storing them in a place where you don't have to turn your back on your assailant. Propped in the corner or under the bed takes valuable time to get to, and could cost you your life.

But now there is a solution. The BackUp makes them easily accessible during a time of need. Racked between the mattresses, The BackUp offers immediate access to the homeowner's shotgun: in the hands, cocked and ready to defend in 2 seconds.

Home Security Expert Howard Pitts says, "A shotgun provides the most effective protection against home invasion. And The BackUp is a much safer and secure solution than having a shotgun in the corner or under the bed."

The BackUp is made in America and the adjustable 2-foot by 2-foot rack assembles in minutes.

I will (reluctantly) have to agree with the press on this one. That was a baaaaaaad and insensitive move to use the story in a promotional press release. I see that you probably didn't mean anything by it, but it was just not the smartest thing. Did your PR department really approve or come up with that?

#5 ·
I like it, if I had a bed that it would work with I would get one, but I got a water bed and it would not mount right.

#9 ·
I just read ajphusker1's previous posts and I'm not seeing a very honest person/company.

He posted that "okay, I bought one" and had just "received it". If you are connected to the company, maybe owner/president, then those posts were crap and you were making it sound like you were just another average joe reviewing the product.

I know that other companies pay people to write online reviews and such, but this is disappointing and dishonest. Unless, by some unbelievable remote chance, he bought into the company after his posts, which I doubt.

#10 ·
The response from the media is typical. Don't address the message - discredit and attack the messenger. As for the OP's authenticity or credentials, that's not my place to judge. He appears to be another new member and, as such, should be welcomed. If he violates any of the Forum's rules, then he faces the consequences, just like the rest of us.

Welcome AJP from Colorado!

#15 ·
No, but I was thinking of it. So I am not completely blameless.

Mr. Peters,

First of all, you shouldn't been called those names.

Second, filtering out all of the vitriole and personal attacks from those articles about you, it's my humble opinion that (regardless of what your intentions were) the result is that your ad or press release or whatever it was exploited a tragedy and was "cheesy" (that's the best word I can come up with to describe it, at the time).

So continue to make and market your product (sounds like a good item and I might just check it out myself), but I can't say that you didn't deserve a little verbal slapping around by the press. (I wouldn't be surprised if you wound up on Keith Olbermann's "Worst Person in World.") Press on, Mr. Peters and it will pass.
While the original may have been a tactical mistake, we feel the back lash it created is totally out of proportion. I have been receiving personal attacks in email, newsprint and Internet blogs. We do not believe that we did any more than the news media. Would the reaction to our release had been the same if we were not proposing people arming and protecting themselves. I would like to get the word out that trained arm preparation and protection is a good thing. If you can suggest any way to get our story

Following is our current modified press release.
THE BACKUP BEDSIDE GUN RACK RESPONDS TO WORLD-WIDE MEDIA INQURIES

October 30, 2008 - For Immediate Release

Home BackUp Protection has the deepest sympathy for all families affected by the tragedy of fatal home invasions. It is with these people in mind, and the future victims sure to come, that the bedside shotgun rack was created. It is our intent, desire and hope to save as many lives as possible.

Although America is the greatest country in the world, the frightening reality is that Americans are not safe in their own homes. The BackUp provides protection within reach for anyone who chooses the shotgun as a form of home protection. We know that tens of millions of people own a shotgun with the intent of providing themselves home protection. The only way that shotgun can be a viable form of home protection is if it is accessible when needed.

Sadly, there will be more home invasions and more victims. There will be Americans defenseless in their homes against a known or unknown assailant. The BackUp could save lives. We stand by the fact that this device is a commentary on our safety and life in America and we believe The BackUp to be a deterrent to intruders and a device that does put protection within reach for shotgun owners.

We look forward to a day when home invasions are not happening millions of times a year. We look forward to the time when our society becomes so outraged at the high volume of crime across every street in this nation that we will not let the issue rest until true change, resolve and protection are created. Until that time, we hope all Americans remain safe and secure. And for those millions of Americans who have shotguns in their corners or under their beds, we have made a way for you to have protection within reach in times of need.

This product is not intended for use in homes with children.
Took out website URL so I wouldn't break any more rules.

John

#13 ·
Mr. Peters,

First of all, you shouldn't been called those names.

Second, filtering out all of the vitriole and personal attacks from those articles about you, it's my humble opinion that (regardless of what your intentions were) the result is that your ad or press release or whatever it was exploited a tragedy and was "cheesy" (that's the best word I can come up with to describe it, at the time).

So continue to make and market your product (sounds like a good item and I might just check it out myself), but I can't say that you didn't deserve a little verbal slapping around by the press. (I wouldn't be surprised if you wound up on Keith Olbermann's "Worst Person in World.") Press on, Mr. Peters and it will pass.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hang in there John!! The ONLY [Edited] in this equation are the "drive-by" media types. Liberals react with rage when they can't win an argument on merit!!!:mad:

#16 ·
While I don't personally agree with the timing of the ad, in my mind it does exploit what happened, I don't see where the press is coming from. It's kind of like the pot calling the kettle black. After all, THEY have been exploiting it to sale newspapers and magazines since the moment it happened.

#18 ·
The ad was in poor taste. I see your point but the timing was very bad. I've made similar mistakes, it's just part of life. It looks as if the backlash is disproportionate but that's not a huge surprise. Issuing an apology was a smart move. Just give it some time to blow over and press on.

#20 ·
I don't think John is the first person, by any means that has been impressed with a product and purchased the distribution rights, or the company. While it may be a risky thing to use current events as advertising opportunity, this, too, is done all the time. These responses don't surprise me because it has afforded them the opportunity to slap someone that has a gun-related business. It does, however, disturb me that people here are taking the opportunity. We're all in this together if you haven't noticed....

#24 ·
AJP - it's pretty much 99% biased against guns and gun ownership. It is what it is. Yeah, you made a mistake. I'm impressed you bought the company - good luck with it! Stick around! Recent negative comments by some notwithstanding, this is the best Forum on the web!

#29 ·
"If the family members had died in a fire on the second floor of their home, and his company was selling fire escape ladders instead of shotgun racks, would his press release still be considered in poor taste?"

Absolutely yes, it would be considered bad taste, and probably would've drawn a lot of the same criticism, without the "gun nut" prejudice, of course, and probably not so disproportionate and personal.

Looks like you're doing what you can, with issuing the apology and explanation. John, you made a foolish decision (who hasn't done that?) and you're stepping up, taking the heat, and offering a decent apology and explanation. You seem like an ok guy to me, for what that's worth.

#31 ·
"If the family members had died in a fire on the second floor of their home, and his company was selling fire escape ladders instead of shotgun racks, would his press release still be considered in poor taste?"

Absolutely yes, it would be considered bad taste, and probably would've drawn a lot of the same criticism, without the "gun nut" prejudice, of course, and probably not so disproportionate and personal.
+1 :theyareontome:

#30 ·
It's funny, though, we do it here all of the time. A story is related where someone could have probably been saved had they had a gun available, but because someone offers a solution to a specific product, it's considered in poor taste. It's on the edge, I admit, but not that big of a deal....

I do, though, understand the points being made, and this particular product probably wouldn't have saved their lives since I believe they were killed near the front door, but ya never know. But to improve access to a shotgun during the night in case of a home invasion, I think it holds promise. It would sure as heck be better than where I have mine now, locked in the gun safe....

#35 ·
This isn't an issue of gun grabber vs gun holder. This is an ethics issue. If I'd not read this post from top to bottom, I would have went with my original thought of how sleezy a comment like that is. I understand the purpose, but I'm sure their family didn't. While they're mourning the loss of family, you're peddling something you're selling.

It would be like you dying of aids and me trying to sell super rubbers using you as an example within a couple of hours. Could a super rubber have protected you from getting the aids? Sure, it could have. Do I think your family would want to hear that? Probably not.

Even your page still has a "sell me something" feel to it even still. No offense, because you do seem like a good guy but I think you should make an appology that isn't confrontational on your website addressing this and soon. To me, the fact that you own a website yet you come here and other places to explain seems as though you're trying to drive new sales. The press release was kinda funny in a sad way.

the highlight....

Chicago, IL (MMD Newswire) October 28, 2008 -- Tragedy strikes in a Chicago home leaving 3 people dead and an Oscar winner forced to identify the bodies of her family.

Jennifer Hudson's mother and brother were gunned down in their home Friday. Could an invaluable device have saved their lives? It's called The BackUp and it is a bedside shotgun rack.
and then you went to the carnie type sales deal. Like a late night infomertial...

But now there is a solution.
Like Billy Mays trying to sell off an orange peeler.

I would suggest revising your website, appologizing and laying low for a few days.

Lastly, your own website says "This product is not intended for use in homes with children." and you're suggesting this could have saved three people... in a home with children.

I'm sorry, but this seems like a huge sales pitch in really poor taste and timing. Now that I think about it, it would be like you dying of cancer and me trying to sell you super rubbers. Thats just my opinion though.

#40 ·
This isn't an issue of gun grabber vs gun holder. This is an ethics issue. If I'd not read this post from top to bottom, I would have went with my original thought of how sleezy a comment like that is. I understand the purpose, but I'm sure their family didn't. While they're mourning the loss of family, you're peddling something you're selling.

It would be like you dying of aids and me trying to sell super rubbers using you as an example within a couple of hours. Could a super rubber have protected you from getting the aids? Sure, it could have. Do I think your family would want to hear that? Probably not.

Even your page still has a "sell me something" feel to it even still. No offense, because you do seem like a good guy but I think you should make an appology that isn't confrontational on your website addressing this and soon. To me, the fact that you own a website yet you come here and other places to explain seems as though you're trying to drive new sales. The press release was kinda funny in a sad way.

the highlight....

and then you went to the carnie type sales deal. Like a late night infomertial...

Like Billy Mays trying to sell off an orange peeler.

I would suggest revising your website, appologizing and laying low for a few days.

Lastly, your own website says "This product is not intended for use in homes with children." and you're suggesting this could have saved three people... in a home with children.

I'm sorry, but this seems like a huge sales pitch in really poor taste and timing. Now that I think about it, it would be like you dying of cancer and me trying to sell you super rubbers. Thats just my opinion though.
On the same page that admonished us for the release there was a link to crime seen photos.

Yes, I would like to sell some more units. I believe in our product and I think it would be an asset to people who use shotguns for home defense. So far it has dampened sales. Hits are up.

When the release was written and sent out, the child was not killed, only missing. This document was vetted by 3 Press Release distributors over a couple of days. Details were sketchy. I regret that we used a name and should have been more general.

If the issue of Home Defense is brought to the for because of our mistake, possibly this can be a positive.

I have always been a proponent of proper Home Safety using whatever means that you are comfortable with. I would like to add a safety lock to sell with our unit. I would like to add a remote switch that would light the area away from the bed so you are in the dark the the intruder in the light. There are other things I have talked about but not able to do yet.

I believe if you are good with a handgun, use it. Have proper lighting and locks around the house. I have 2 yip yip dogs and a larger dog in my house. I know if anyone is close.

By they way, thanks for letting me, vent, talk and get things off of my chest.

John

#36 ·
I think I heard a radio advertisement for this product on the radio today.

There were no untoward references in the spot (30 seconds, I think) but I wasn't paying much attention. The beginning of the ad was very similar to a local guns shop's ad and was surprised that it wasn't.

Good luck with your business. (Just don't make over $250K/year)

#38 ·
Was using the issue in good taste or bad? I guess it all comes down to how you feel about it.

My question is this - Will the same people in these blogs and such rise up in admonishment when this same case is brought up to push legislation for gun control?? Doubt it. The next question I think should be asked is if this case can be used to push legislation for gun control that is *suppose* to keep these things from happening again and keep everyone safe at home from these *crazy people with guns* than WHY can it not be used to promote a product that essentially has the same impact??

:twak:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.