Me and the Media

Me and the Media

This is a discussion on Me and the Media within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi,I am A John Peters from Home BackUp Protection, makers of The-BackUp shotgun rack. We sent out a press release a few days ago about ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Me and the Media

Hi,I am A John Peters from Home BackUp Protection, makers of The-BackUp shotgun rack. We sent out a press release a few days ago about the recent home invasions. Since then I have been skewered by the press and have been getting a lot of hate mail.

The point we were trying to make was that people need adequate home protection. I have been personally attacked as:
    a gun nut
    a self serving grease ball trying to make a quick buck
    a militant radical
    a (edited out) crazy American
    and more.

One newspaper said the A in my name stood for (edited out by QKShooter)
    I do not feel we sensationalized the recent sad killing any more than TV and radio including MSNBC, CNN the Chicago Tribune and LA Times. What if "the Joe the Plumber" type of person was killed in a home invasion? Would there be lines of newscasters around his house?

The point we were trying to make, and may have failed, was that it is important to protect yourself and have some form of home protection. I feel the media is personally attacking me and avoiding discussing our 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms. By attacking me, they do not have to discuss the real issues.

Thanks for letting get this off of my chest.

John

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Forum Rule #4.
    As a family-friendly forum, we ask that you keep your language clean, exactly as we hope you would when addressing respected elders. Creative workarounds (the use of special characters to replace some letters) on language are not allowed. Violators of this rule will be warned once; those repeatedly breaking this rule will have their accounts permanently revoked. NOTE: Links to off site material will be held to our family-friendly standard, as well.

If a newspaper actually said that about your name I think you may have a lawsuit against them, or was this just comments made in their "Opinion" section by citizens?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Ah the wonderful media. They will say anything and twist anything around to boost their ratings.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Just for reference, here is what got the company all the bad press:

Text of press release: Could a bedside shotgun rack have saved jennifer hudson's family from tragic death?

Chicago, IL (MMD Newswire) October 28, 2008 -- Tragedy strikes in a Chicago home leaving 3 people dead and an Oscar winner forced to identify the bodies of her family.

Jennifer Hudson's mother and brother were gunned down in their home Friday. Could an invaluable device have saved their lives? It's called The BackUp and it is a bedside shotgun rack.

Everyday, there are over 8,000 home invasions in America, many resulting in assault, rape, and murder. That's according to a report by the US Department of Justice.

Whether it is someone known or a stranger entering the home, too many people in this country are paying with their lives during these home invasions. The Hudson family is just one of far too many Americans gunned down in their own home.

What can be done? Law enforcement and the government aren't solving the problem. So law-abiding citizens are now forced to take their safety, security, and life into their own hands.

Shotguns are often weapons of choice at home because of their deterrent effect on assailants, their close-range stopping power, their affordability and their reduced risk of injury to innocent others from stray shot. But the problem is storing them in a place where you don't have to turn your back on your assailant. Propped in the corner or under the bed takes valuable time to get to, and could cost you your life.

But now there is a solution. The BackUp makes them easily accessible during a time of need. Racked between the mattresses, The BackUp offers immediate access to the homeowner's shotgun: in the hands, cocked and ready to defend in 2 seconds.

Home Security Expert Howard Pitts says, "A shotgun provides the most effective protection against home invasion. And The BackUp is a much safer and secure solution than having a shotgun in the corner or under the bed."

The BackUp is made in America and the adjustable 2-foot by 2-foot rack assembles in minutes.

I will (reluctantly) have to agree with the press on this one. That was a baaaaaaad and insensitive move to use the story in a promotional press release. I see that you probably didn't mean anything by it, but it was just not the smartest thing. Did your PR department really approve or come up with that?

I like it, if I had a bed that it would work with I would get one, but I got a water bed and it would not mount right.

I have a shotgun and a pistol next to me at night, well two pistols really but one of them is the wife's. I guess I am a paranoid gun nut a** crazy american too.

Welcome to the forum, and what does the A in your name really stand for? (just kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    If a newspaper actually said that about your name I think you may have a lawsuit against them, or was this just comments made in their "Opinion" section by citizens?
    I do not know if they had it in their hard copy. It is on their blogs.

See
    Jennifer Hudson: Sensitive Company Exploits Jennifer Hudson's Tragedy in 24 Hours Flat

also see how my critics "are so sensitive"
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2178927.story

Why the BackUp Shotgun Rack Company Deserve All the Bad PR They Can Get Press Release PR

Gun Toting D-Bag Exploits Hudson Murders for $ - TMZ.com

I cannot find the Tribune quote nominating me for the worst person of the week.
    Last edited by ajphusker1; October 30th, 2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by ralphb72 View Post
    I have a shotgun and a pistol next to me at night, well two pistols really but one of them is the wife's. I guess I am a paranoid gun nut a** crazy american too.

Welcome to the forum, and what does the A in your name really stand for? (just kidding)
    Think of a chipmunk

I just read ajphusker1's previous posts and I'm not seeing a very honest person/company.

He posted that "okay, I bought one" and had just "received it". If you are connected to the company, maybe owner/president, then those posts were crap and you were making it sound like you were just another average joe reviewing the product.

I know that other companies pay people to write online reviews and such, but this is disappointing and dishonest. Unless, by some unbelievable remote chance, he bought into the company after his posts, which I doubt.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    The response from the media is typical. Don't address the message - discredit and attack the messenger. As for the OP's authenticity or credentials, that's not my place to judge. He appears to be another new member and, as such, should be welcomed. If he violates any of the Forum's rules, then he faces the consequences, just like the rest of us.

Welcome AJP from Colorado!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

One of the original articles

JENNIFER HUDSON CASE: Family slayings used to tout gun-rack product -- chicagotribune.com

Quote Originally Posted by pete156 View Post
    I just read ajphusker1's previous posts and I'm not seeing a very honest person/company.

He posted that "okay, I bought one" and had just "received it". If you are connected to the company, maybe owner/president, then those posts were crap and you were making it sound like you were just another average joe reviewing the product.

I know that other companies pay people to write online reviews and such, but this is disappointing and dishonest. Unless, by some unbelievable remote chance, he bought into the company after his posts, which I doubt.
    Yes I bought one, and I bought the comapny, with some help with some friends.

Did you own the company when you posted the "review"?

EdC
    Mr. Peters,

First of all, you shouldn't been called those names.

Second, filtering out all of the vitriole and personal attacks from those articles about you, it's my humble opinion that (regardless of what your intentions were) the result is that your ad or press release or whatever it was exploited a tragedy and was "cheesy" (that's the best word I can come up with to describe it, at the time).

So continue to make and market your product (sounds like a good item and I might just check it out myself), but I can't say that you didn't deserve a little verbal slapping around by the press. (I wouldn't be surprised if you wound up on Keith Olbermann's "Worst Person in World.") Press on, Mr. Peters and it will pass.

Hang in there John!! The ONLY [Edited] in this equation are the "drive-by" media types. Liberals react with rage when they can't win an argument on merit!!!
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 31st, 2008 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by pete156 View Post
    Did you own the company when you posted the "review"?
    No, but I was thinking of it. So I am not completely blameless.

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    Mr. Peters,

First of all, you shouldn't been called those names.

Second, filtering out all of the vitriole and personal attacks from those articles about you, it's my humble opinion that (regardless of what your intentions were) the result is that your ad or press release or whatever it was exploited a tragedy and was "cheesy" (that's the best word I can come up with to describe it, at the time).

So continue to make and market your product (sounds like a good item and I might just check it out myself), but I can't say that you didn't deserve a little verbal slapping around by the press. (I wouldn't be surprised if you wound up on Keith Olbermann's "Worst Person in World.") Press on, Mr. Peters and it will pass.
    While the original may have been a tactical mistake, we feel the back lash it created is totally out of proportion. I have been receiving personal attacks in email, newsprint and Internet blogs. We do not believe that we did any more than the news media. Would the reaction to our release had been the same if we were not proposing people arming and protecting themselves. I would like to get the word out that trained arm preparation and protection is a good thing. If you can suggest any way to get our story

Following is our current modified press release.
    THE BACKUP BEDSIDE GUN RACK RESPONDS TO WORLD-WIDE MEDIA INQURIES

October 30, 2008 - For Immediate Release

Home BackUp Protection has the deepest sympathy for all families affected by the tragedy of fatal home invasions. It is with these people in mind, and the future victims sure to come, that the bedside shotgun rack was created. It is our intent, desire and hope to save as many lives as possible.

Although America is the greatest country in the world, the frightening reality is that Americans are not safe in their own homes. The BackUp provides protection within reach for anyone who chooses the shotgun as a form of home protection. We know that tens of millions of people own a shotgun with the intent of providing themselves home protection. The only way that shotgun can be a viable form of home protection is if it is accessible when needed.

Sadly, there will be more home invasions and more victims. There will be Americans defenseless in their homes against a known or unknown assailant. The BackUp could save lives. We stand by the fact that this device is a commentary on our safety and life in America and we believe The BackUp to be a deterrent to intruders and a device that does put protection within reach for shotgun owners.

We look forward to a day when home invasions are not happening millions of times a year. We look forward to the time when our society becomes so outraged at the high volume of crime across every street in this nation that we will not let the issue rest until true change, resolve and protection are created. Until that time, we hope all Americans remain safe and secure. And for those millions of Americans who have shotguns in their corners or under their beds, we have made a way for you to have protection within reach in times of need.

This product is not intended for use in homes with children.
    Took out website URL so I wouldn't break any more rules.

John

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links