To Get a CCW Permit or Not

This is a discussion on To Get a CCW Permit or Not within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I am from PA and we are a "shall issue" state and it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To Get a CCW Permit or Not

To Get a CCW Permit or Not

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I am from PA and we are a "shall issue" state and it is only a matter of filling out paperwork to get my permit. I have been planning to do it due to the fact that I own rental property and often get cash or money orders in evening hours and feel that protection is paramount.

However, what about the concept that if you have a permit, then "THEY" know who has the guns and can easy confiscate them when it all goes down hill. With the current political climate and the concerns that the NRA has been talking about in "First Freedom Magizine" I am more then a little concerned on this issue.

It appears now that I have been reading the site that almost all, if not all of you carry and are not just gun owners that are reading up on carry. You input on this topic would be greatly appreciated

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    As long as your state does not have gun registration 'they' do not know what type or how many guns you may have. Get the permit
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

What are your options?

1) Will you carry illegally if you don't get a permit? If you are caught carrying illegally, my guess is you may lose the option to ever carry legally. Would that also land you in jail?

2) Will you go without a gun while receiving cash at night?

Neither sound like good options to me.

I understand your concerns. But in my opinion the greater danger is right now, being unarmed and handling lots of cash.

Or do you plan to be armed while receiving the cash, but not carry outside the building?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Hello and welcome to the forum! Overall, this place is filled with knowledge and you'll get good with the bad.

I would get the permit again a hundred times over. I carry every day, every place I go and i wouldn't change that for anything.As GWreddragon said, they don't know what you have. You're not registering a firearm, just proving you're able to carry. I own anywhere from 1-1,000 guns and many... many thousand rounds. However, the government doesn't know I have any of said firearms. Even if they knew I bought them, "it turns out I've sold them all, but thanks for stopping by officer"

The ability to carry not only protects you, but those around you. if you're packing illegally, you're being counter productive. If you get into a situation where you have to defend yourself, you're going to be in a world of trouble without a permit even if you were in the right.

I would suggest getting that permit and not waiting. We're having a change in admin soon I'm guessing and you may not have that right much longer. I guess I'm just paranoid, but I wouldn't take the chance especially seeing how cheap they are to obtain in most states. Best of luck to you and welcome again to the forums.

Absolutely get it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Welcome!

Get the permit!!!!!!!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

There is nothing about a CCW that MEANS you have firearms. Did you have a Drivers License before you owned a car? I would look at this way...things can go "down hill" a LOT faster personally for you by carrying cash, unarmed, late at night than from any future, currently non-existant, governmental gun confiscation threat. Welcome aboard Our Friendly Little World. And GET the PERMIT.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Please get your permit. We need more law abiding citizens carrying weapons. The more people who carry the bigger the outcry would be if and when the government come to take our guns. Also criminals need to fear their line of work.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Denial View Post
    I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

However, what about the concept that if you have a permit, then "THEY" know who has the guns and can easy confiscate them when it all goes down hill. With the current political climate and the concerns that the NRA has been talking about in "First Freedom Magizine" I am more then a little concerned on this issue.
    I am of "GrandPa" age , and have led a fairly mundane (and honest)
    life. Nonetheless , I know for a fact that the Fed,State, and local
    governments have enough facts to easily find me and my firearms
    were they so inclined.

If it ever came down to an Illegal "confiscation" scenario ,
    they probably wouldn't need to look
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Welcome, and I vote for get the darn thing. Gives you legal options and not only prevents you from becoming another 'crime with a firearm" statistic that becomes ammo for the bradies (should you choose the illegal route, which may not be discussed here), but also I think that every CCW permit on record is a statistic that politicians must take note of.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Come on in the waters fine.

Welcome to the forum from SW FL
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Hey Denial?
    You're still here reading this thread?
    Get out of here and go get that permit...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, guess THEY are gonna know, so you may as well start looking at these too!

NFA Market Board - Message Index

While I'm not sure about the legalities of a MP5K full auto or a suppressor for concealed carry, once you're on THEIR lists, you may as well get all the toys too.

You should get the permit. The more of us that do, the more the politicians will think before trying to take them away. There is strength in numbers!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

VIP Member
    Go ahead and get your permit. When I got a PA non resident permit, there were no questions ask about my gun. Nothing on the permit ties it to any gun you own now or might own in the future. You could legally carry now, using open carry, which is legal in PA, but once you get in your car you can not have the gun on your person unless you have a permit. For that reason alone, since you will be traveling with cash/checks and money orders it pays to have it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links