Halloween is the perfect time for a home invasion

This is a discussion on Halloween is the perfect time for a home invasion within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just thinking, as I was eating some of the Halloween candy, that this is the perfect day for a home invasion. You get ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halloween is the perfect time for a home invasion

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I was just thinking, as I was eating some of the Halloween candy, that this is the perfect day for a home invasion. You get to wear a mask, someone opens the door for you, their guard is let down, etc.

Does anyone know if the incidence of home invasions/robberies goes up on this night?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I'm dressin' as the Marlboro Man, so it's all good. They'll never know.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Got stay alert.

Candy in my basket, and a gun in my SOB holster.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Until a few years ago before I sold my house, I lived in a semi-affluent neighborhood. We literally had carloads of non-neighbors flooding our area on Halloween. None spoke English. Probably half of them were teenagers without a costume, but always had the obligatory hoodie on. I finally quit handing out candy.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I was just thinking, as I was eating some of the Halloween candy, that this is the perfect day for a home invasion. You get to wear a mask, someone opens the door for you, their guard is let down, etc.

Does anyone know if the incidence of home invasions/robberies goes up on this night?
    I was thinking the same thing today. So rather than stay in the house where it's hard to see exactly who is out there, I turned on all my outside lights and took the candy outside and waited for the kids there. That way I could see exactly what was going on and who was around. SP101 riding in my Crossbreed just in case as always.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

One problem with that, there is a potential for too many witnesses around. I've never heard of one occurring on Halloween.

Haven't heard of any, although I can see how it could happen. I heard of some community around here restricting going door-to-door to those in 8th grade or younger.

I won't be opening my door to anyone with a mask. I'm a scrooge. We turn our porch light out. And eat our own candy.

I didn't give out candy this year,had to be somewhere else,but last year got turned off,not only was my area flooded with kids and a lot of cars with Mexico license plates but I had old kids and actually had a few adults come trick or treating?I looked at the adults who weren't even in costume and said this is for the little kids
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't believe in this "holiday", sorry. That doesn't stop me from having an 870 loaded with slugs by my side and a 10mm on my hip.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I make sure I have my gun holstered when answering the door as I do any other time. If someone rushes me, my gun is clearing its holster.

CEW58, right on the money. Can't get in if they're nowhere near the house. I did the same thing,

Juggernaut, Happy Halloween. Have a KitKat or somethin'!

Without getting into the "believing in this or that" crap, it is fun for the little ones to get to dress up and trick or treat. Doesn't mean they or I believe in anything in particular... it's just fun...

I carried my XD40 and my Surefire while taking my kids (8 and 4) to trick or treat tonight. I have to say I saw two separate men walking around alone. Not sure what they were doing, but I turned up the alert knob, that's for sure. We all made it home alive and my kids had a blast. Couldn't believe the 4 year old walked the whole way and never asked to be carried.

I also have to say that there were about half as many houses handing out candy this year as the last 6 years... economy?

A few years ago our area had a rash of elderly people being invaded, beaten, and robbed in the months and weeks before Halloween. I don't get many kids coming to my house, just the next door neighbors. That year I heard something on my back porch (that is the door I use, front door blocked). No children had come yet. I look out the window and see 4 teen agers with hoodies, and notice that the neighbors were sending their children over. I open the door with my hand on my pistol, making it obvious that I was ready to draw. The teen ager next to the door stepped back real quick and then looked at the children coming up behind them and real quick said "trick or treet".
    I gave them each a candy bar, and they left. I gave the neighbors children each 3 bars apiece, because I know that had they not came over at the time I would have had a real problem. My neighbor was standing behind the children by that time, smiled and gave me a nod. I am convinced that he felt somthing was wrong so he got everyone out and came over to make sure nothing went down. We take care of our own little group of houses.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I didn't give out candy this year,had to be somewhere else,but last year got turned off,not only was my area flooded with kids and a lot of cars with Mexico license plates but I had old kids and actually had a few adults come trick or treating?I looked at the adults who weren't even in costume and said this is for the little kids
    I put a sign on my door.

"No Costume, No Candy"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links