CC in Massachusetts?

CC in Massachusetts?

This is a discussion on CC in Massachusetts? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need a little advice here. My niece lives in Mass and has had her house broken into twice in the last few months; luckily she ...

CC in Massachusetts?

Need a little advice here. My niece lives in Mass and has had her house broken into twice in the last few months; luckily she has been at work both times. She is very nervous now and is staying, for the time being, at my sister's place. An alarm system is being installed. Now, since she lives in Mass, I assumed she was a little left leaning so I figured I would ease into a discussion about getting a gun so I started saying that she should get some pepper spray. She says " I need a gun!" Hoooray! That was easy! Now the hard part...How difficult is it to get a ccw license in Mass? Anyone know? I know in NY here it can take years to get an unrestricted carry license. How long does it take in Mass. Thanks in advance!

It may depend on the locality. If she lives in or near a city, she may have difficulty getting the unrestricted permit(although she would have the burglaries to use for the letter of need or whatever they require in Mass). I heard it may take a while, more like months than weeks.
    A Mass resident could probably tell you for sure, but I think I got the basics down.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Gun Owners' Action League This link may help with info. What town she lives in will make a big differance on getting her LTC.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

+1 on the GOAL link , you beat me to it.

this is the best advice you will receive dealing with MA

I got my LTC Class A, Restrictions in 5 weeks.
    Last edited by Demeo2169; November 2nd, 2008 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Spelling

Shouldn't she be able to have a gun IN THE HOME, while waiting for a potential CCW?
    Either way, she needs the 'equalizer' while she's home.

OMO

Stay armed...have an equalizer in the home...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Home defense or carry?

I would agree with the previous poster that she should not need a carry license to simply buy a gun for defense in her home. She could buy a used shotgun, which might involve less red tape and approvals than a handgun.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

For a resident Permit she is required to complete a safety course and will have to go through her local PD. Just have her go down there during business hours. Most of the local PD's are pretty good with issuing but some towns/cities are anti gun. It might not hurt her to stop and talk to a cop for a minute and see how friendly the chief is to issuing CCP's. If you dont mind me asking, what town /city does she live in?

You can not just buy a fire arm in MA to keep in your home. You need to obtain a license to have legal possession of the firearm even in your home, You need a license to buy, sell, and even handle them in a gun shop. There are 4 different licenses that allow you do different things. Class A allows you to buy large capacity firearms, Carry concealed. And transport loaded on your person. Class B lets you buy, sell non large capacity firearms, but you can not carry on your person. You can also obtain a FID card, to buy shotguns and ext. A License is also required to buy O.C in the state of MA. So obviously a Class A is what every one wishes they can get, but like it has been posted it is up to the chief of the town. You can receive a license Class A with a restriction. Example "hunting & Sporting", This restriction on your license limits you to just that. You can buy, sell, and only carry Large capacity firearms when engaged in you allotted reason for issuance. "Hunting in sporting" If found using you license out side of your reason for issuance, "Hunting and Sporting" your License to carry can be taken away from you. You possible restriction will be determined, buy you reason for issuance response on your application. It should always be 'All Lawful Purposes" I obtained A License to carry Class A, with no restrictions. It was last month, I am 21 years old. The process seems very difficult, but that is what MA wants, MA wants you to be discouraged. They donít want you to step up to the plate and jump through the hoops the State and local P.D has implemented. Read more at the GOAL link that was posted, < Safety classes are available through them. Look up the Town Police Dept. web site; See what they are asking new applicants to do. Then it comes to MA and pistol permits there is no room for mistakes.

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses so far. My niece lives in Worcester. I understand that it used to be nice, now not so much. My mom, aunt and uncle grew up in the area and my uncle still lives there.

I think she wants to get a ccw since the breakins have occurred when she wasn't home. She is more concerned about walking in on a robbery in progress than she is of a breakin while she is home.

Thx

Then she will need a class A no restrictions. Her first step is getting in to a safety curse. Then making an appointment with the P.D. If she has a clean record and has completed all the requirements then all she can do is cross her fingers and hope for the best. Remember MASS does not want you to have a firearm, therefore they can not denie you your 2a rights, but they can bust your balls. They make there process very discouraging. But when all is said in done the license is well worth it.

Good Luck

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    IIRC, Worcester is almost impossible to get an unrestricted LTC (the only type that would allow her to "carry").

Besides the GOAL site, check out the MA Gun Laws forum on NortheastShooters.com, Northeastshooters.com New England's Premier Shooting Forum There is a list of towns, color-coded (based on members supplied info) and invaluable info on how to make your best case to get a permit, etc.

Good luck to her.

Everyone says Springfield won't issue an unrestricted class A. I wrote a letter stating all the reasons I need to carry, and got my class A for target, hunting, and protection. She needs to write a letter explaining the circumstances with copies of the police reports, and also shows that she is familiar with Mass laws regarding use of force etc. I recommend Smith&Wesson Academy as a good place to take the required course, and additional training so she can actually use the gun in a defensive situation. Mass permits can take six months to get processed, so I would look into the free restricted FID that will enable her to purchase pepper spray to carry in the mean time.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    DPMS, there is NOTHING Free in MA!

The restricted FID costs $25 (and renewals are supposed to be free).

Also, most LTCs are issued in 1-2 months after applying. It's rare that a PD sits on them for 6 months, but I do know that it has happened in some cities/towns.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    IIRC, Worcester is almost impossible to get an unrestricted LTC (the only type that would allow her to "carry").

Besides the GOAL site, check out the MA Gun Laws forum on NortheastShooters.com, Northeastshooters.com New England's Premier Shooting Forum There is a list of towns, color-coded (based on members supplied info) and invaluable info on how to make your best case to get a permit, etc.

Good luck to her.
    I also believe this to be the case. Worcester is just as bad as Watertown and Brockton in issuing licenses to ppl. At least in Boston you will get one just not with a carry endorsement.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

+1 on the NortheastShooters.com,

Links