Multi State Permits - Page 2

Multi State Permits

This is a discussion on Multi State Permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As other have stated, I live in Florida so like you I donít see a reason. However, if I was to travel all the time ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multi State Permits

As other have stated, I live in Florida so like you I donít see a reason. However, if I was to travel all the time to say Boston or California, I would apply for an out of state license in that state.

I have AZ, UT and FL. I don't trust fickle politicians to change the rules of a state at any time. The more (within reason) the better.

I live in Louisiana and applied for a non-resident Florida permit. Florida has reciprocity with more states than Louisiana, and the permit in now valid for 7 years vice Louisiana's 4 years. I took me 75days to receive my permit. Florida is a little behind due to volume.

I live in SC and until recently they did not even honor FL. With the NH non resident I get GA. and the other lower southern states. I also have PA because they are always looking to change things there.

As soon as I become Rich, a Celebrity, Politically Conected, or a major Crime Boss I can apply for NY and NJ.

I live in TX and only have a TX license. My wife's family lives in WV, which does not have reciprocity with YX, and as far as I can tell, WV does not honor non-resident permits from anyone, so I am out of luck in WV. However, North Carolina, from where I originate, does have reciprocity with TX. I am also covered in all the states between TX and WV or NC. I might get a non-resident from someplace like Utah if I were wanting to travel somewhere where TX is not honored but the Utah is.

So here's a maybe-stupid question, but being from FL, I hadn't the need to think about it before: Florida only honors permits in which the holder is a resident of the state in which the license/permit was issued. So, if you have a non-resident Florida CWL, can you or not carry in Florida? It would seem not.

I have a FL permit and live in UT. My FL permit is good in FL. I am waiting on the renewal now.

Quote Originally Posted by boomana View Post
    So here's a maybe-stupid question, but being from FL, I hadn't the need to think about it before: Florida only honors permits in which the holder is a resident of the state in which the license/permit was issued. So, if you have a non-resident Florida CWL, can you or not carry in Florida? It would seem not.
    Yes, you can carry in FL w/a non-res FL permit. You just can't carry in FL on a PA permit, for example if you don't live in PA.
    WV is the same,although they don't "officially" do non-resident permits, but a few have claimed to had talks w/a sheriff who waived the residency requirement.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Thanks for all the replies. I had never considered the possibility that states may amend/cancel reciprocity agreements at any time on short notice, or even on NO notice. My Bad!, especially with the changing political climate. What is the process and cost and how does one get applications from FL and UT?

VIP Member
    I have a pretty simple reason for thinking it is good to have permits from other states... we never know what the future holds. Oklahoma does not offer non-resident permits. If I were to move my Oklahoma permit would no longer be valid. Many states require you to be a resident for X time before you can apply for their permit- thus I'd be without a permit for the given time.

If you have a non-resident permit that is recognized in your new state you would be covered during the missing time.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    There is no resident/nonresident CCW permits in Fla. There is only a CCW permit, available to locals and nonresidents alike. At least that's what I was told 2.5 years ago when I got mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    There is no resident/nonresident CCW permits in Fla. There is only a CCW permit, available to locals and nonresidents alike. At least that's what I was told 2.5 years ago when I got mine.
    FL doesn't make the distinction on the permit but if you are ever asked to produce your permit in a state that requires you to a resident of the state of the permit you are producing. For example WV does not honor the FL permit for someone not living in FL. Granted you might get away with it but as soon as you produce a drivers license from another state your done.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links