Multi State Permits

Multi State Permits

This is a discussion on Multi State Permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see that several members of this forum have CC permits from more than one state. What is the advantage of doing that? I live ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi State Permits

Multi State Permits

I see that several members of this forum have CC permits from more than one state. What is the advantage of doing that? I live in Texas, can carry concealed in all the states that surround me and have reciprocity with all the states I ever want to visit. Would I benefit in any way by getting a Florida, Utah or any other permit?

Quote Originally Posted by anchor44 View Post
    I see that several members of this forum have CC permits from more than one state. What is the advantage of doing that? I live in Texas, can carry concealed in all the states that surround me and have reciprocity with all the states I ever want to visit. Would I benefit in any way by getting a Florida, Utah or any other permit?
    In your case, which is just like mine...NO!

My FL resident covers anywhere I would go...the last hold out was SC...but now that just came into play.
    No additional permits need by this CCW'er.

Stay armed...plan ahead...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

With my PA permit I could travel to many other states but I couldn't get there driving. So I got a FL non res permit to at least get OH, recently WV was added to the PA license.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Florida and Utah are the 2 states with the greatest number of states granting reciprocity. When I took my CCW class, my instructor was certified for Florida and Utah as well as my home state of Nevada. I went ahead and applied for both, mailing in the applications the same day that I submitted the Nevada application. Utah arrived in 30 days, Florida in 0, and Nevada in 90. In was strange being able to carry in over 30 states but not my own! For me, I just wanted to have the ability to carry in any state the I happened to be in, assuming of course that it was legal. I've carried on vacation a few times in my birth state of Virginia, and I've crossed the state line into Bullhead City to buy lottery tickets. I'll be going to other states for conferences to get CME, etc. So to me, it was worth it. It's a personal decision, and if you don't see yourself going to states where you don't already have reciprocity, then it may not be for you. I just figure that I won't always know that. And Nevada has reciprocity with a few states, but just not enough for me.

Utah adds 2 states to those that reciprocate with Florida, giving a total of 34. My reason for getting any at all is that we may see the day when new CCLs may not be permitted.

Utah CCL

I live in and have a Kansas permit. I just got my Utah license as more states honor it. I figure the more the better.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Depends on your state. While PA has a wide range of reciprocity it doesn't cover everywhere that I visit. Ohio, Maine and Delaware are the three main ones. I have non-resident permits so I can carry in these states that don't honor PA permits.

Reciprocity is not guaranteed forever. If it's not much trouble to get one, I get out of state permits whenever time allows. Imagine reciprocity with your state is dropped two weeks before a big trip. Now you are SOL, but might not have been if you'd had another state permit.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Living in AZ for CCW RECIPROCAL AGREEMENTS, what does it mean
    Written Agreement With Arizona and Recognizes Arizona Without Written Agreement

I don't get the with written agreement

This is the link http://ccw.azdps.gov/reciprocity/doc...ts_Current.pdf

Be careful, though. Not all states honor permits if you're not a resident of the state in which you hold a permit.

Here's a helpful map:

The website it comes from is pretty handy as well:

Handgunlaw.us

Along with my AZ CCW, I just mailed in my Utah Application. The only State I really cared about was CA and NV - well, CA won't happen til hell freezes over, but since I do visit Vegas once in a while...
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    Living in AZ for CCW RECIPROCAL AGREEMENTS, what does it mean
    Written Agreement With Arizona and Recognizes Arizona Without Written Agreement

I don't get the with written agreement

This is the link http://ccw.azdps.gov/reciprocity/doc...ts_Current.pdf
    My understanding is:

Without written agreement means that that state's government has reviewed AZ's rules and has unilaterally decided to accept AZ's CCW.

With written agreement means that AZ and the given state have "negotiated" a specific reciprocity agreement.

The latter tends to be more ephemeral and subject to revocation. Reciprocity is very fluid.

I live in Arkansas and have for several years. I didn't get an Arkansas Driver License until about last year. I've just carried on a Florida permit which is legal to do here. When the Florida permit was due for renewal last year, I also got a Utah permit, too, at the time. I suppose I could get an Arkansas permit, but it is expensive and costs nearly as much as both my Florida and Utah permits combined.

So, for the time being, I'll pass on the Arkansas permit. It just doesn't give a good reciprocity per dollars spent ratio.

More reciprocity is the main reason, but if a state is cheap,like PA, I'll go ahead and get it to support the cause, even though I already have PA through my home state permit.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

VIP Member
    The answer for you is no. The answer for me is Utah. That gets me WA and MN where I go to visit relatives. Also I travel throughout the lower 48 and I like having as many states as possible.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links