Packin' Preachers - Page 3

Packin' Preachers

This is a discussion on Packin' Preachers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JohnKelly I'd be interested in knowing the size of the church/congregation where the pastors carry. Is it typically big churches or does ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Packin' Preachers

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing the size of the church/congregation where the pastors carry. Is it typically big churches or does it vary?
    Between our 5 campuses we run 8k-9k a weekend (20k-25k for Christmas and Easter)... We have a full fledged security team made up of off-duty LEO's, some uniformed, most plainclothes.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

I am the Pastor of an inner city Baptist church and I carry every day. There are several in my congregation that know I carry and feel comforted by that. I also have several members that carry all the time. I initiated the discussion among my leadership and a couple other members of getting our concealed carry license. We took the class together and go shooting on a regular basis together.

It did take me several weeks to decide to carry while I preach and lead worship. A couple of members would ask me if I had my gun and I would reply that it was locked in my office. They told me that I needed to carry it even while I preached. So I gave it a try one week and have been carrying every week since.

The only task that I have now is keeping these men in the Word of God as much as they are into their gun magazines and online with their gun buddies (I have created a monster). Although, I do feel that being with online gun buddies is a pretty good place.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    Hmm. You sure about that?
    Yep. We have talked at length about it. His strong hand was crushed under a tractor as a teen and while he can shoot he is not confident of being able to pull a gun and use it in a timely manner. He knows and supports my, and others, carry status. We have a "security team" in place and have met and know each other. In the event of a shooter there will be no friendly fire incident (we hope).
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I know of two who might be packin at any given time - pulpit included. One is my brother-in-law. Oh yeah - Open carry for the deacons help when it's time to pass the collection plate too.
    For God, Family and Country!

Here's one for the Texans on board.

I was re-reading the CHL handbook (I was very bored) and I spotted that it states "Churches, Synagogues, or other places of religious worship" are of limits.

Am I reading this wrong or do all of you have written permission from your Pastor/Exec Pastor/Church Board, etc?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I carry every time I go to our church, preaching or not. I'm more hesitant to carry when visiting another church as I'm not sure how they would feel about it. I feel I have good reason to carry at our store front Mission church, but may not somewhere else and certainly don't want to get made and offend other churches. I know that protection of myself and my family may be good reason, but I just haven't convinced myself of that yet.

God Bless

Love to see all the fellow pistol packing preachers.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    There was an addition to the law in Texas (I'll have to look it up to figure out exactly where it's at)... but it says that all of those are okay as long as they don't post 30.06... which is why most hospitals threw 30.06 signs up a year and a half ago or so...

Here it is:

(i)Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under 30.06.

Those subsections refer to (b)(4): a hospital, (b)(5): an amusement park, (b)(6): church, and (c): at any meeting of a governmental entity.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    Maybe it's obvious to me... but Hawaiian shirts are made to be worn untucked anyway... so why not just untuck it and carry?
    I'm too short, so the shirts hang too low. (I need XL to carry without printing, and since I'm only 5'9" and have a 46" chest, many of the shirts are just too long.)

Besides, even though the atmosphere is casual, I don't want to look too sloppy.

BTW, attendance is 325-350.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bobkat View Post
    The only task that I have now is keeping these men in the Word of God as much as they are into their gun magazines and online with their gun buddies (I have created a monster). Although, I do feel that being with online gun buddies is a pretty good place.
    I hear that.

The Enemy will use all kinds of distractions.

“Now I know that the LORD saves His anointed; He will answer him from His holy heaven With the saving strength of His right hand. Some boast in chariots and some in horses, But we will boast in the name of the LORD, our God.” Psalms 20:6, 7

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Baptist pastor here. I carry. If someone in the congregation gets a new firearm you'll find a group gathered round after church checking it out. Thank God forcountry living.
    Last edited by Gunnutty; November 3rd, 2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Add info
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

EdC
    Not a pastor, but don't carry in church. Indiana law prohibits carrying a handgun in a "school zone" and the definition is pretty broad. The church(es) I attend have either parochial schools on the grounds or a kindergarten, and Indiana case law has been pretty clear about those restrictions. It's too bad, but that's what the law is where I live.

I'm a Spanish Pastor, but when I preach i take my coat off every time, So I carry it in a planner.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    (i)Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under 30.06.

Those subsections refer to (b)(4): a hospital, (b)(5): an amusement park, (b)(6): church, and (c): at any meeting of a governmental entity.
    Well would you look at that. I remember reading that and it just didn't stick with me. Good thing I decided to re-read the laws, as dull and dry as they are. Reading laws and being ADD is not a good mix.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

me
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing the size of the church/congregation where the pastors carry. Is it typically big churches or does it vary?
    Youth Pastor Church of 95
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Pastor, I congratulate you.

Quote Originally Posted by JSBaker View Post
    I am a pastor who carries every day--even while in the pulpit. I am curious about how many of you carry at church. Are there other pastors out there who pack and preach?

If you are a pastor who carries, do any of your people know? If they do, what reactions have you gotten?
    I carry at church even though it is an unwritten rule against it at our church. If it is not legally posted it doesn't count as far as I am concerned.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links